• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I have a friend that had some 22 ammo that sat in water during the Martinsville flood, since it was in paper boxes is it any good? if not how do you get rid of it?

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I would dry it out good and then try it out.

If it isn't any good, then I would throw it away. It just goes into the landfill (at least in my county).

tal35

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    allen county
    I have never had much good luck with ammo that had gotten wet. It takes forever to dry inside if it has and the wet powder can cause excessive pressures.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Did an experiment last winter to see how well a "factory sealed" round was actually sealed.

A .45acp, buried it in the snow under melting conditions for a week, and fired it. Primer popped, powder didn't ignite, and I had to tap the bullet back out of the barrel.

My opinion - bad idea.

Josh <><

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It's been my experience that "sealed" ammunition is normally done only for the military. I have seen red and green sealant appllied to the case neck and primer pocket. That ammo is truly "sealed". Any other ammo, having been submerged in water, and absent visualization of the sealant, I'd have to be highly suspicious of.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Yes military ammo is sealed ... are "some" commercial ammunition. Look for a red or green seal around the primer. If there is no seal - don't get it wet :twocents:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Rimfire ammo should be ok unless it has corroded. I have seen problems with centerfire ammo that was in water, but I expect that the moisture seeped through the primer pocket to the powder. You wouldn't have that problem with a rimfire cartridge.

Top Bottom