• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I have been super pleased with Dillon's customer service.

Over the years I have had one Dillon part get gummed up and not work as well, and another one that I broke myself. In the first case I just called asking the best way to clean it. In the second case I called and told them flat out that I broke it, it was my fault, and I wanted to order a new one. In both cases, Dillon sent me a new part on their dime.

That said, I have started buying Lee dies lately because they are less expensive than Dillon.

One other item I've been pleased with is this scale:
    MidwayUSA - Frankford Arsenal Micro Reloading Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity
    It has performed well for me at very low cost compared to other electronic scales. One slightly annoying feature is that it turns itself off if you don't use it for a while (though that does save on batteries). Read the customer reviews on the Midway site; others have been pleased also.

Some people will say you should start out with a single stage press. I started out with Dillon's 550b which is a progressive press. It is slightly more complicated with more variables to deal with, but helps you move your process through. It also allows you to change tool heads so you don't have to re-adjust your dies from scratch every time. I guess there may be some advantages to single stage for beginners, and they certainly are less expensive. But if you're sure you will be reloading significant volumes of ammo for years to come, and if you are mechanically inclined, and maybe most important if you are able to be patient and take your time, you can probably start with a progressive and do OK.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've always been very pleased with Lee equipment. I think the bang for the buck factor just can't be beat.

I've not used any other brand (except for some odds and ends) so I can't comment on them.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've never like Lee. It is OK, but not great. It seems to take more adjustment than my Dillion 550 progressive ever needed. Lee makes a couple low priced progressives, one for pistol and one for pistol and rifle. Neither impress me. My Dillon machine was rock solid, fast and accurate. I have recently switched from Dillon to Hornaday's new progressive machine. The Dillon was great. The Hornaday is also great. They are slightly different, each has its own advantages. I wanted to try the Hornady because I've read so many glowing reports about it from people who switched from the Dillon presses to Hornady.

If you want to get into progressive presses, I'd say go blue or go red. Neither will disappoint you. For individual components, I always liked the quality of RCBS, but not their progressive press. The competition dies from RCBS are awesome.

jmho

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Depending on what you want to load is how I would determine which press. For bulk reloading 1000rds in multiple calibers in pistol and 223 I would get a dillon 550. For a couple hundred rounds here and there and rifle in multiple calibers I would not go with a progressive. I use a Lee turret. I have my system down to where I can load 200 rounds an hour of both .40 & 9mm. I use the turret to load 223 & 308. I prefer precision on the rifle so every charge gets put on the scale. Then I load my 22-250 with the Lee kit that requires the hammer to seat the bullet.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    For Single stage presses and dies, LEE
    For progressive presses, Dillon
    Scales and powder measures: RCBS
    Stay away form Lee powder measures and scales = junk
    Dillon is first class. I too broke a part by my own screw up and they gave me rseveral replacements FREE. Recommend you get Dillon through Brian Enos. Talk to Brian and tell him what you want to load and how much. He will advise what products will best fit your need and ways to economize in parts. If you order complete kits, you will buy a lot of duplicate parts. For progressive press, I recommend the 550B if you load several calibers. 650 is great if you set it for one load and leave it. Brian knows!

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I've been buying good used equipment for a few months. I picked up a Lyman turrent press for next to nothing. A Redding scale for free, Lyman reloading 47th edition for free, new never used .223 RCBS dies for $20. I did buy a new case trimmer. I am debating on a powder measure though I think I may spend what I saved on the other stuff and get a 1200DPS 3. Seems like everyone complains about whatever brand of measure they have so I may just go for a electronic dispenser.

From what I have gathered in my quest for good info is that most people will try to say whatever they have is the best there is. When in reality most all of the stuff out there (red, blue, green, purple) will make some great ammo. Your attention to detail is more of a factor than the equipment you choose. That being said my brother in-law has a Dillon 550 and really likes it for making lots of rounds in one sitting. He also has a lee single stage for working up loads and the more precise smaller run loads. I have used both over the past several years too. I just thought it was time for my own. I have no need to crank out 400 rounds per hour so I will stay away from a progressive for now.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    For presses, I'd go green. Either RCBS or Redding. That said, I'd get a cheap or used one also for the dirty prep work. No sense in wearing out a new quickly.

For dies, I like Redding the best.
    I just bought a Dillon 550B and have yet to get around to setting it up.

I never really liked the powder measures and jumped up to the RCBS Chargemaster dispenser. Its the most expensive and I've had a couple of problems with mine, but the newest ones are supposed to be bug free.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have a lee Pro 1000 and have loaded probably 5K rounds of 9mm and .45 on it. I bought it used with the dies and misc other stuff for $125. Add a nice scale, tumbler, a couple of good manuals, etc and your good to go on the cheap. I was going to buy a dillon but just couldn't make myself spend the intial cost so I went with the lee and have not had any issues at all.
    Matt

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm not a big fan of Lee either and I've used some of their products. They seem to make good quality single stage presses. I like Dillon, Lyman, and RCBS. I just bought a Lyman 1500 DPS and it is the bomb! Other good products are Hornady, and Redding. Forster makes great dies and trimmers. Really there are no bad companies. I have regularly heard over the years that Lee progressive presses are prone to problems. As someone new to reloading, I'd be real cautious buying used equipment. Sometimes parts can be missing and if the press is very old, you may not be able to find parts. The complete kits from Lyman or RCBS are a bargain because you get just about everything except for dies at a lesser price than if you had bought the items separately.

Top Bottom