• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    I have several different reasons for choosing the types of ammunition I have in my arsenal.

First off, I have Glaser #6 slugs for my top choice. Being as expensive as they are, they are worth every penny from what I saw on Mythbusters, as well as the online support and recommendations from other members and fellow Marines. These are the most deadliest rounds I have, and in my 16 rd mag, I have my first round being this one, and my last round for security, in case it gets that bad. You will never know. 4 rds total.

My next choice is Federal Premium HydraShok Hollow Points. I fell in love with these after I actually saw the damage they done to ballistics gel. And also from online support and friends that CC everyday. If it gets really bad, they'll have to pick out the starfish from whats left of them. This is what I use in between my Glasers in my 16 rd mags. So a total of 28 rds on my capacity.

Then, my 3rd choice is CCI's Shot shells. I have one whole 16 rd mag dedicated to these rounds, just for lethality reasons. Indoors, and close to point blank range. After 10 yds, no real damage is done. From what I have seen, and what I have shot, they are powerful. 16 total.

Then, my 4th choice, is a FMJ. Any brand will do, that is my 10 rd mag. Full from top to bottom, I either use these for practice or for CC, only I keep 10 rds on me of FMJ's. Just because if I ever do use them, they are my last resort, as the other rounds will either dissipate before leaving the body, where as FMJ's will go right through, almost armor piercing. Just in case, I don't want any innocent people getting hurt, only the evil doers. 10 total.

So, all in all, 58 rds total I carry on person everyday. But I am not even at half load (considering a full combat load is 180+ rds). I am trying to get to 90 rds, so at least half load.

I am not trying to pick a fight, I am just asking for opinions and what they carry or recommend. I have alot of experience using rifle ammunition (armor piercing, ball, blanks, etc.), but I am lacking in the pistol dept. I would like more info (if any) and see what else is out there that I missed. I am trying to get a wide array of ammunition for my arsenal, in case $hit ever breaks out. I'll be ready.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    All of these are in my albums. I have taken pictures of what I carry, and what my firearm looks like. I carry this everyday, and I clean it everyday, even more than I do my teeth (which is 3 times a day).

I am not trying to get trigger happy:biggun:, but I am trying to complete my arsenal of what its lacking. So I can be like this guy over here... :draw:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    picture.php

There is my complete arsenal. From left to right.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    I have a cousin that is a LC deputy. But I won't mention any names outta respect. Either way, he said what I have is one hell of a setup, if I were going back to Iraq. Ha ha, it was a joke I didn't expect.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I don't carry anything other than Federal HST's in any of my carry guns. For the HD shotgun I've got Fiocchi 00 Low Recoil. Follow Tyler34's link Pistol Cartridges (9x19mm Luger) to see pics of the HST in action. I personally wouldn't carry any of your styles of rounds as a protection round as long as I can still get my hands on HST.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Speer Gold Dot is the way to go. I'd be careful carrying those CCI Shotshells in a defensive roll....No, actually I'd not do it at all. They are often times not hot enough to reliably cycle the action in an auto and thus they could get you in a tough spot. I'm not a fan of the mix and match stuff in my carry gun. One load will suffice because if it comes down to you having to use it, having to think or decide which type of mag/ammo to reach for could cost you the precious seconds that could save your life. One ammo type works for me, and I only carry whats in the gun usually or maybe one refill. That ammo stuff can be heavy!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Also, I'd like to point out that you should be vary wary of any test of ammunition you see on TV, especially Mythbusters. I'd also like to correct you on this:
    I have Glaser #6 slugs for my top choice...these are the most deadliest rounds I have
    I propose that those are no more "deadly" than any other similar load. What you have to keep in mind is that when you connect with your target, shot placement is king and the Glasers (or anything else) are not going to turn your target into pink dust with a solid hit to the pinky finger. Don't be fooled by marketing and hype. Carry what works reliably in your gun. Any premium defense ammo will do just fine. I'm not saying that one is better than another, just pick one and test it thoroughly (to the tune of at least 100 rounds). As for the FMJ, a lot of it is carried every day by CCers. I agree with you about the overpenetration issue, but that is only an issue if you can guarantee that every single one of your shots will connect with your target. If you miss and hit someone else, be it with an FMJ or JHP, the results will be the same. A miss is far more likely than an overpenetration.

There are a lot of these types of discussions all over teh interwebs, mostly by keyboard commandos, over this load versus that load, overpenetration, which is more 'deadly' etc...ad nauseum. I'd suggest that you take the time that would be potentially wasted in this debate and invest it in training. The reward from that endeavor would be worth the time invested.

Top Bottom