• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I need some input from you folks that have experience shooting 5.56mm ammo. I just received my new upper that was supposed to be a .223 Remington chambered but when it arrived, it was marked 5.56mm. With the 1500 coming up, what can I expect to find as far as best quality and price in this caliber? What brand would be best to buy for price and quality? I intend for it to be range ammo only. Thanks in advance for the help.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    A rifle chambered in 5.56 will shoot .223 just fine. You can shoot either ammo out of it with no problems. You are better off imo with a 5.56 chambered rifle as opposed to a .223 as you can only shoot .223 out one chambered in that.

PMC makes good ammo for the range and the price isn't too bad on it either.

Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    Ive seen ALOT of barrels marked 5.56 but they arent throated like a 5.56 chamber. Before I put 1k 5.56 through it Id take the time to make sure the chamber is to 5.56 specs and not just .223.

5.56 VS .223 Ammunition and Chamber Dimensions - AR15 Armory.com

theres a comparison it seems small, but with the pressure problems have been said to arrise in some guns. Ive seen reamers for under $100 bucks that open up a chamber to 5.56 specs.

Id atleast call the maker of the barrel and ask them.

Top Bottom