• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    when reloading my .308's the cartridge is kinking before the bullet becomes tight, any suggestions would be appricated.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Sounds like your seating die is screwed down too far. Readjust your seating die per manufacturer's instructions and try again.

You should be setting up your dies with dummy rounds - no powder, no primer.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I agree with rimfire_crazed, the die is set too deep and it's crimping before the bullet is seated.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I agree with rimfire_crazed, the die is set too deep and it's crimping before the bullet is seated.

Do they look something like case on the right? I found this when doing some .223 reloads over the summer. Culprit was the crimp collet was contacting the case too soo as a result of the die being screwed into the press too deep.

DSC09206.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    If it's a seating/crimping problem, I agree that your die is probably screwed in too far. If it's for a bolt action, I'd try screwing the crimp die out until it doesn't crimp the case at all. You should have enough bullet/neck tension to keep it in good shape. If it's not, you may have an oversized sizing die. I'd also reccomend a Lee FCD (Factory Crimp Die) if you do want a crimp. It crimps based off of the shellholder and basically cannot crumple a case. Well worth the $10-15 they cost.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I remember going through this learning experience and buddy who's been reloading since the 60's sais same thing and to back the die out.

Do they look something like case on the right? I found this when doing some .223 reloads over the summer. Culprit was the crimp collet was contacting the case too soo as a result of the die being screwed into the press too deep.

DSC09206.jpg

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    per manufacturer's instructions

Sounds like your seating die is screwed down too far. Readjust your seating die per manufacturer's instructions and try again.

You should be setting up your dies with dummy rounds - no powder, no primer.

This title will solve your problems!

It amounts to this: Place a Full Length Sized (NOT primed)case in your press+extend the ram fully-(pull the handle all the way down). Back off the seater punch (the adjuster in the center of the die). Screw the outer shell of the seater die down until you feel it touch the case, at the top of the press stroke. Back off the outer shell of the seater die approx 1/4 of a turn+lock down the outer lock nut (The largest nut on the die)
    If you are using Flat Base bullets, bevel the case mouth with a deburr tool-if you are using bullets with a bevel base (Boat Tail) this is not needed.
    Install case, with bullet on top into seater die+extend to the top of the press stroke. Do this several times, turning down the seater punch (The center-small adjuster plug) a little at a time, until your correct overall length is reached.
    Your bullet seating depth is now correct.
    Place a sized/primed/powdered case in your press,with bullet on top of the case and run to the top of the press stroke. Your bullet should be seated to the same previous overall length, as set with the "Dummy" case. If not, tweak the seater plug until it is in specs. (As per your load data specs).
    Seat all bullets for the batch of ammo that you are loading at this time.
    Most bolt action rifle loads require no crimp, so your good to go. If you are not shooting these loads in a bolt gun, a crimp may be desired.
    To crimp seated bullets in your case:
    Back off your seater stem 2-3 turns. Install seated bullet/case assembly in your shell holder and run up to the top of the press stroke. Back off the lock nut (Largest nut on the die). Turn down the outside of the die until it touches the case (1/4 turn). Lower the case out of the die slightly+tighten the outside of the die down slightly. Push the case back, all the way into the die--you WILL feel a slight resistance, this is the die crimping the mouth of the case. Keep screwing down the outer part of the die until desired crimp is reached.
    Tighten the lock nut (largest nut on die)
    You may now crimp all of your cases--And NOW you have a loaded cartridge....CONGRADULATIONS...
    Note: If your brass is not the SAME length, the crimp will be on a different place on each bullet. If this is the case, then you need to trim your brass...
    Hope this helps...Bill.

PS: Save your "Dummy" cartridge..This can be used to set up your dies the next time that you load the same load combination.

Top Bottom