• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    shooter521 1) It's most likely M855, which is not true armor-piercing (that is M955, which is not sold on the commercial market).

There was a guy selling ammo at a corner table at the 1500 in the smaller
    right hand side of the building after you walk in the front doors.

I did not look to see what he was talking about but he was telling the
    would-be customer that "These are your armor piercing rounds right here..."
    I kind of thought :bs:

Oh, price sounds excessive.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Tyler, your new xcr will digest wolf or barnaul right out of the box (put the gas setting on #3 after you break it in --300 rds ish-- and it will run wolf/russian stuff forever). I just ordered 500 rds brown bear from Palmetto state armory. You can get 1K rds there for $270 ish shipped to your door. He will do deals where it's flat shipping ($12) for 1K round purchases.

Buy 2K of it and be done for a bit.

save your money on range ammo.

FWIW

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    There are guys reloading wolf steel as long as its boxer primed. If you do a search in the Arfcom reloading section, you should find it. Some guys are getting several reloads out of steel cases. I bought a bunch of LC 223 brass. If I had to do it over, I'd have bought steel cases instead. About 10% of the price and for shtf ammo, you aren't going to have time to pick up brass anyway. Besides, the only 223 brass I plan to buy in the future will be Remington. The only non crimped primer pocket brass that I know of.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Your M855 is the SS109 round that is a 62 grain bullet with the steel penetrator, (Green Tip) which will cut through 1/8th inch steel out to around 500m, if using an M16A2/A3. You will not get as much muzzle velocity from a carbine, but I haven't checked on the specs. Didn't have to worry too much about any targets being armored. I haven't even seen the M955, which is a 52 grain bullet, even when overseas. Probably just for the group guys, operators, etc. A few years ago I got a case of SS109 for around $650, and wish I had bought 2 or 3 more.

BTW, a case should be 2 cans of 840rds each, stripper clipped and bandoliered.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    HornadyLnL, Just a note from past experience on reloading steel cases...

The steel case is fire formed per sey in the chamber when it is fired, which means that if you decide to reload it you should try to make sure you use it in that same chamber or firearm or you may get a lot of FTF practice...

Don't try resizing your steel cases as the die won't change the case size and you will only wear out a good sizing die very early in it's lifespan...

You may want to use some nail polish around the bullet seat and primer pockets of reloaded steel cases as again they don't change size, not maleable... and there may be a much larger inconsistency in fit on both sides of the case... which will allow moisture to contaminate the powder charge....

Steel's cheaper, and doesn't bother you as much when you leave it lay on the ground after a cold winterly trip to the range... You will be much happier with your brass case reloads....

Just IMHO.....

Top Bottom