• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i finished my first attempt at reloading and i cant wait to try them out i only made 5 because if they dont group well ill try something else im not sure i got the bullet seating depth right but the final product is shorter than the obl sand it chambers so i guess ill shoot it and see what happens ill keep ya posted​

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    that is cool with the price of ammo continuing to rise all the time i think that everyone should reload or at least consider doing it in my youth i did some reloading when i didnt have much money i never enjoyed reloading so i stopped doing it and sold all my stuff you will be fine as long as you follow the guidelines and stuff like that

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    that is cool with the price of ammo continuing to rise all the time i think that everyone should reload or at least consider doing it in my youth i did some reloading when i didnt have much money i never enjoyed reloading so i stopped doing it and sold all my stuff you will be fine as long as you follow the guidelines and stuff like that

i didn't think i would really enjoy it i just wanted better proforming ammo but i have really enjoyed doing all my research and doing everything so far i think i will love it when my gun shoots .5 moa and i can say "my ammo did that"

i also think its pretty cool that so many people on here are starting to reload or considering it now i dont remember seing many reloading posts when i joined in october but now they are on almost every day

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Good way to do it, loading a few at a time. I generally load 5 at a time also, changing my powder types and weights for each type of bullet and see what the rifle likes best. Got myself some M1 Carbine rounds to really zing the other day using HS6 pistol powder. Much better than the Aguila ammo I bought from CMP.

As to your seating depth, just insure that you do not seat it less than your minimum OAL in accordance to the bullet, and you will be OK, especially with older firearms. Seating it too deep will raise your pressure, which can damage older rifles.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Good way to do it, loading a few at a time. I generally load 5 at a time also, changing my powder types and weights for each type of bullet and see what the rifle likes best. Got myself some M1 Carbine rounds to really zing the other day using HS6 pistol powder. Much better than the Aguila ammo I bought from CMP.

As to your seating depth, just insure that you do not seat it less than your minimum OAL in accordance to the bullet, and you will be OK, especially with older firearms. Seating it too deep will raise your pressure, which can damage older rifles.

ive never seen info on minimum oal i may be short does anyone know the minimum oal for a 243

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I don't know what size of bullet you are using, but here is the data I have on .243, which is Cartridge Overall Length

70 gr 2.625"
    80 gr 2.635"
    100 gr 2.650"

This is all the data I have for .243, since it is not a caliber that I reload.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Congrats on first loads here is a link that will help you devolp the best load for your particular rifle.

I want to say though if you are really trying to devolp a load I would work up 10 or 15 of each round to get a better idea.
    I do understand that these are your first and are mostly for building confidence :)
    You want to acount for a few "fouling" shots to get the barrel ready to accuratly determine how a round will do. Plus don't try differant powders without shooting a few rounds of the new powder or cleaning the barrel before collecting your info.
    A powder switch as with a clean bore verses a fouled bore will give differant results.
    Anyway as stated here is a link. I use this to work up loads and have found it to be great advice for me.

Bravenet Web Services

I have used this system with many differant rifles and will use it on a new one this spring.
    If you have any questions I would be glad to try to answer them.

Hope this helps some

Top Bottom