• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckjoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    beech grove
    ok i was wanting to know if the .458 socom is legal and would it make a ok deer gun. if it is ok to use i would love to buy a upper and use my AR15 for hunting that would be cool

redneckjoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    beech grove
    OK thanks one last thing anyone know where to get a upper and what they might run $$$ and you can use you AR 15 .223 lower right? and where can you buy ammo?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    how cool would it be to go deer hunting with a ar in 458 socom i was looking around and cant seam to find a ballistics chart on the calibre any body know of any also what do you figure the max range on a socom would be i know im 100% confident taking a 275-300 yd shot with my prohunter i wonder if the socom could do that i bet it could

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    57 inches of drop at 300 yards.

The 458 SOCOM is a 150-175 yard sledgehammer. Beyond that you need to be well practiced with its rainbow trajectory - or be looking for something faster and with a better B/C.

I've got several of the 458 Rock River uppers on order, will be offering them here exclusively to site supporters once I get the advertising lined up with Fenway here soon.

458SOCOM.jpg

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    I have a question

I'm thinking of getting in the lower group buy. My knowledge of AR's all comes from this site. The lowers that are being offered are the 5.56 and the 6.8. Would one of these allow me to do the SOCOM switch over that is being talked about here. I like that flexability. I don't want to high-jack a thread but if some one would like to PM me to explain the differences between the to lowers that would be great.

Thanks from a Black Rifle newbie.:rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'm thinking of getting in the lower group buy. My knowledge of AR's all comes from this site. The lowers that are being offered are the 5.56 and the 6.8. Would one of these allow me to do the SOCOM switch over that is being talked about here. I like that flexability. I don't want to high-jack a thread but if some one would like to PM me to explain the differences between the to lowers that would be great.

Thanks from a Black Rifle newbie.:rockwoot:
    You can put a .458 SOCOM upper on either one of those. I'll be doing the same with 5.56 labeled lowers. I'm thinking of making some kind of tag to stick over the engraving that says .458 SOCOM, unless I plan on swapping different uppers to them.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The RRA uppers are engraved with the caliber, nobody in the DNR is going to give you any grief over what the receiver says.

I've taken to engraving/etching the cartridge name (which always includes the barrel groove diameter) along with the cartridge length on the IDNR legal cartridges just to prevent any confusion or misunderstanding.

UpClose.jpg

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    How is it legal for deer hunting in Indiana? As of last season only legal equipment were Shotguns with slug, Handguns of 357 or greater, and Pistol caliber carbines in legal pistol calibers.

The 458 SOCOM in none of the above, so how it it legal?

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    How is it legal for deer hunting in Indiana? As of last season only legal equipment were Shotguns with slug, Handguns of 357 or greater, and Pistol caliber carbines in legal pistol calibers.

From the DNR Web site. here is the pdf on Deer Hunting Equipment.
    http://www.state.in.us/dnr/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

Rifles with pistol cartridges
    Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches.
    These rifle cartridges can be used only during the deer firearms season.
    Some cartridges that are legal include the following:
    .357 Magnum
    .38-40 Winchester
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Special
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Special
    .44-40 Winchester
    .45 Colt
    .454 Casull
    .458 SOCOM
    .480 Ruger
    .475 Linebaugh
    .50 Action Express
    .500 S&W
    Some illegal rifle cartridges for deer hunting are the .30-30 Winchester, .444 Marlin and .45-70 Govt.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton

Pistol Caliber Rifles have been legal for two seasons now.

Here is the definition of a "Pistol Caliber Rifle":

The rifle cartridge must:

(A) have a bullet of three hundred fifty-seven thousandths of an
    inch (.357) diameter or larger;

(B) have a minimum case length of one and sixteen hundredths
    (1.16) inches; and

(C) have a maximum case length of one and six hundred
    twenty-five thousandths (1.625) inches

The 458 SOCOM fits quite handily into this definition, along with a host of other wildcats.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Does the DNR have any idea what the 458 SOCOM is? Its prety strange that they consider it a pistol round.

I knew about PCC being legal, and all of the other cartridges on that list are revolver cartridges usually found in old lever guns. What more, the 458 is nearly identical ballisticaly to the 45-70, which they state as illegal.

Why don't they just post minimum and maximum energy levels like a lot of other states do? It would make things a lot simpler.

I also noticed the the 50 Beowulf is just barely excluded: maximum length is 1.625", and the Beowulf is 1.65" :(

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    The reason is that to shoot beyond 175 yards, you have to point it to the sky. They are trying not to have bullets going too far because many hunting areas are within a short distance from housing or other forms of civilization. If we were in a state with more wide open spaces, I'm sure they'd open up these regulations.

The SOCOM is really ideal for what they want, when you look at its flight characteristics. Woe to any deer within that 175 yards, though. It would be like getting hit by a truck, especially if someone was using a custom load with a really heavy bullet. I've heard people have loaded up to 700 grains!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom