• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    So, I have a 4-die set for my .40 that I am reloading that has the factory crimp die, but some of the other sets of dies I have picked up for reloading only are the 3-die sets (.380, 30-30, and 223). These do not include the factory crimp dies, which from my understanding are not necessary but may be good to have? My friend I reload with says its a good one to have as kind of a final check all. Thoughts? These are lee carbide die sets, just in case that changes anything.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Not strictly necessary for straight wall auto pistol cartridges (your .40 and .380, or 9mm, .45ACP, etc), but I like to use them anyway. They do help prevent case buckling and they help prevent bullet setback. I don't reload for rifle yet, so I'm uncertain about those calibers.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've gotten by without it... I also have a friend who swears by having it, as it's caught a few of his bullets that were out of spec.

IMO, if you're running a progressive, what does it hurt to have one more step? I run a single stage so I check each round through each step.

As for being necessary... I guess that's just another opinion thing. Kind of like cleaning primer pockets, trimming pistol casings, and tumbling...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    When i was a rookie reloader and found out this would correct errors in die setup i jumped on the wagon for every caliber i reload. Once i went to the range witb some handloaded 45 acp ammo that wouldn't chamber. A lee factory crimp die would have caught that extra quarter turn i should turnex the seating die. Another trip to the range and the recoil was working bullets out of the cases in a 44 mag revolver because the crimp wasnt firm enough. In both these situations i could have had i right with the seating die, but i didn't. To the naked eye the ammo looked good, but range trips were ruined because it wasnt.

Long story short, i use a lee factory crimp die on everything now. I reload two rifle calibers for long range precision and i use the lee fcd on them. You can overdo it, but its not very likely.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Not strictly necessary for straight wall auto pistol cartridges (your .40 and .380, or 9mm, .45ACP, etc), but I like to use them anyway. They do help prevent case buckling and they help prevent bullet setback. I don't reload for rifle yet, so I'm uncertain about those calibers.

9mm case has a taper and i though .45 did also.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i run a factory crimp die because i was having some problems with the bullet depth moving on me. It wasnt major but i wanted them to stay right where i put them. Its an extra stage but the way i have my set up it doesnt take any extra time in my progressive press because im pulling the handle anyway for the other stages anyway.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Well, seeing as how folks have loaded millions of rounds of semi-auto pistol ammo without using a Lee FCD, it's fairly obvious that such is not "necessary". They're just extremely useful, particularly if you aren't terribly familiar with how to properly adjust your seating/crimping die.

Or, looking at it another way, the FCD makes things a little more fool-proof, which even experienced reloaders can greatly appreciate. For example, I reload 44/40 shells. These are notoriously thin-walled and it's VERY easy to buckle a case if your crimp die is adjusted just a tiny bit too far down. Since this brass is not easy to find or inexpensive, the FCD is a godsend for this round.

So, not necessary, just useful. ;)

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I'm still a fairly new reloader (<500 rds of 9mm), and I use this on all of my reloads. From what I understand it is not necessary, but it is a better way to go about crimping the bullet. Instead of seating and crimping your bullets with the seating die, you perform each step separately. Lee goes into more detail on why separating them is better for consistency and whatnot, but the main reason I keep using it is the fact that I've had very few bad rounds. I've had maybe 2 FTEs out of nearly 500 rounds of my reloads through my PPS: that's it.

I run a Lee hand press, so the extra step takes me maybe 5 minutes per box, and a little more if I wipe down the rounds when I'm done to make them look purty. It is the simplest operation of all; you just throw the bullets in, pull the handle, and toss them into your box. You're cheating yourself if you have one and aren't using it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    For rifle loads, does it help accuracy?

-JD-

For rifle loads, a crimp will sometimes help a great deal with accuracy. The Lee FCD, and the crimp it provides, CAN sometimes provide the consistent start pressure needed for accurate loads.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    If you're using range pickup brass, the FCD and its carbide sizing ring will go a long way to reducing problems from "glocked brass" for 40SW.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    If you're using range pickup brass, the FCD and its carbide sizing ring will go a long way to reducing problems from "glocked brass" for 40SW.

Awesome. I have one for my .40 but was not sure if I should pick it up for my other calibers. Sounds like I will be picking up a few more dies.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For rifle loads, does it help accuracy?

-JD-

I can't honestly say that it's had an effect one way or the other. What I can say is that my handloads using a Lee FCD for my 30-06 are just shy of 1/2" at 100 yards, and the same can be said for my 223. It may not help, but it's certainly not going to hurt anything either.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Only negative i have to say about the FCD is with my .45 loads. I casted lead .45 and found that the FCD would slightly swage the leads bullet about .002 which was enough for the bullet to lead the barrel. Since using just the seating die to crimp my lead loads the problem went away. FMJ loads no problem using the FCD.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I use the Lee FCD whenever possible. I also think it gives very consistent, repeatable crimps; and it has cured bullet pulling in my heavy revolver loads.

Top Bottom