Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Plinker

...do's and don't...

As a 'retired' Class #7 FFL Mfg.,reloading Instructor and professional reloader,I recommend starting out with the LEE 50th Annv. single-stage press kit. It is by far the best dollar value for the beginning reloader. I teach a reloading class every month in South Bend...usually 3-7 folks show up for the 8-hr class split up in 2-evenings. 4-hours of classroom and 4-hrs of hands-on with the press..$35.00. Start with learning every operation...one step at a time...and refine your skills. Most of those I start in reloading...over 500+ folks since 1980....graduate to the DILLON presses. I am a DILLON Dist. and a stocking reloading dealer. Have fun....go slow...be safe....

I'm glad I stumbled on to this thread! I too am just beginning to think about getting into reloading and was going to ask about RCBS equipment. In the most recent email from Widener's they have an RCBS tumbler on sale for 69 bucks and I was wondering if that was a good price/good piece of equipment (I'm planning on accumulating stuff gradually).

This is the tumbler... Is $69 a good price?

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

I saw a Lyman of similar capacity at Bradis for $64, and of course there would be no shipping if I got it there.

For the press, I was considering the Lee Value (Deluxe?) Turret Press Kit. I looked at one at the 1500 and it seems to be a decent starter kit from the standpoint of having several basic items in the kit. ET Brass (out of Ohio I think) had them for $115 at the show. List is $170 I believe. Opinions welcome on this as well, keeping in mind that while I don't want to buy crappy stuff, but I also don't want top of the line (from a budget standpoint) just starting out.

Hope I didn't the OP's thread too badly! At some point I will have the new vs. used decision(s) to make too I'm sure. Sounds like going with Dillon is a safe bet for used equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    I'm glad I stumbled on to this thread! I too am just beginning to think about getting into reloading and was going to ask about RCBS equipment. In the most recent email from Widener's they have an RCBS tumbler on sale for 69 bucks and I was wondering if that was a good price/good piece of equipment (I'm planning on accumulating stuff gradually).

This is the tumbler... Is $69 a good price?

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

I saw a Lyman of similar capacity at Bradis for $64, and of course there would be no shipping if I got it there.
    I think you will be happy with the Lyman brass tumbler. All of the major manufacturers back up their products when bought new. As a rule, I'd stay away from "Smart Reloader" brand reloading equipment even though the cheap prices might be attractive.

Expert
    Sorry but I have to disagree with Be Mike. Years ago I bought a Lyman vibratory
    case cleaner and the bowl just self destructed. It literally delaminated in about 3 months
    of use. The extra bowl came apart the same way. I found a blue plastic bowl at a gun show that fit and it's worked fine since. I'd go with the RCBS for a few bucks more.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroquois View Post
    case cleaner and the bowl just self destructed. It literally delaminated in about 3 months
    of use. The extra bowl came apart the same way. I found a blue plastic bowl at a gun show that fit and it's worked fine since. I'd go with the RCBS for a few bucks more.
    Dad just got a new Hornday tumbler to replace his Lyman, the Lyman made it for probably close to 10 years, finally the motor just gave out...
    Shooter. Gamer. Hunter. Father. Geek. Atheist. Order varies day to day...
    NRA Life Member 2011

Gamertags:
    Steam: Darkrose1979 (MW2, MW3, Skyrim, TF2, OF: DR, War Inc.)
    Origin: Darkrose1313 (BF3)
    Battle.net: (WoW, D3) PM for email or Darkrose#1463 (D3 only)

At the season of the Winter solstace may reason prevail.
    There are no gods, no angels, no devils, no heaven or hell.
    There is only our natural world.
    Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.

Master
    A tumbler is just a vibratory motor and plastic bowl. Its role in the reloading process is largely cosmetic and relates more to time saved than anything else.

When it comes to buying used reloading equipment, stick with green or blue...RCBS or Dillon. Both are likely to work very well when you get them, as they are engineered well. If they don't work, you can be sure of excellent CS to help get them up and running. This is true of some of the other brands, but not as good, IMHO.

If you're buying new and will be mostly making pistol ammo, the Lee Classic Turret is hard to beat. If you'll mostly be making rifle ammo that is larger than 223, the RCBS RockChucker is the way to go. Stay away from anything that is primarily aluminum, if you want something that will last a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroquois View Post
    I have seen many happy Lyman tumbler customers, but there are exceptions. I would have contacted Lyman to see if they would send a replacement. I actually use a Lortone QT-12 rotary tumbler that is made for rock polishing. I've used it without anything but a belt replacement for over 25 years.Lortone, Manufacturers of Tools for Lapidary & Jewelry Artists

The press I purchased is used and I believe it to be aluminum. I knew buying it that it wasn't exactly the one I was going to stay with the rest of my life but, the price was right paid about 40 for it.

On a different note I went to the 1500 in hopes that I would find several presses for sale. I was a bit discouraged at the number of tables with presses for sale(2 tables with new press kits both lee). I thought there would have been more used equipment. It seems that it is hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by saberstar View Post
    The press I purchased is used and I believe it to be aluminum. I knew buying it that it wasn't exactly the one I was going to stay with the rest of my life but, the price was right paid about 40 for it.

On a different note I went to the 1500 in hopes that I would find several presses for sale. I was a bit discouraged at the number of tables with presses for sale(2 tables with new press kits both lee). I thought there would have been more used equipment. It seems that it is hard to come by.
    Quality reloading equipment can last more than a lifetime with proper care.
    Shooter. Gamer. Hunter. Father. Geek. Atheist. Order varies day to day...
    NRA Life Member 2011

Gamertags:
    Steam: Darkrose1979 (MW2, MW3, Skyrim, TF2, OF: DR, War Inc.)
    Origin: Darkrose1313 (BF3)
    Battle.net: (WoW, D3) PM for email or Darkrose#1463 (D3 only)

At the season of the Winter solstace may reason prevail.
    There are no gods, no angels, no devils, no heaven or hell.
    There is only our natural world.
    Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2