• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    One of the reloading chores I hated most was case preparation. I used a Dillon vibratory unit with walnut shell media. It was noisy, dusty and the cases didn't really come out as clean as I wanted. I had media stuck in the primer pockets and residue left in the cases.

I did some reading and research and ended up ordering the RCBS Sidewinder Tumbler, a couple bottle of the RCBS case cleaner and a 5 lb bag of the stainless steel media. As soon as the unit got here I loaded up the SS media and a couple ounces of the RCBS liquid cleaner, 160 .308 cases and added 1 1/2 quarts of water. I set the timer for 3 hours and watched TV while the unit ran out in the kitchen.
    sidewinder.jpg

When the time clicked off I took the drum to the sink and ran hot water through the unit and flushed all the cruddy looking water down the drain. I had to flush the drum 5-6 times and then I removed the cases one at a time with the case mouth down to keep all the media in the drum. The cases were smooth, but there was a grayish-black film on the cases and removing them this way was time consuming. I knew there had to be a better way so I went to YouTube and watched a couple videos. Dawn dish soap and LemiShine dish washing powder seemed to be popular products for cleaning agents.

I had a plastic tray from the bottom of a bird cage with sides about 1" high. I figured that would make a good tray to dump everything in to clean out the mdia. My next batch of 160 rounds went in with a couple squirts of Dawn dish soap and a couple spoons full of LemiShine. I moved the tumbler outside to keep the noise down and set the timer for three hours. This time when the timer clicked off, I sat the drum upright in my plastic tray and stuck the garden hose in and rinsed the cruddy water out for a couple minutes. When the water ran clear I dumped everything into the tray.
    tray.jpg

Now it was simple to just to pick out the cases and toss them on a towel out in the sun to dry. I poured off the excess water from the media in the tray and let it sit out in the sun as well.

cases.jpg

tray2.jpg

About 3 hours later the cases and the media were completely dry. The cases looked better than new. These are Prvi Partizan cases that have been reloaded 8-10 times. Here's a photo of the cases after cleaning compared to the brass in the rest of the batch.
    casetop.jpg

If you look closely you can see that the inside of the case mouths are clean as well. Here's a photo of the primer pockets.
    primerpocket.jpg

If you're looking for a product to really clean up your brass, I would definitely recommend the Sidewinder Tumbler with the stainless steel media. Forget the cleaning solution that comes with the tumbler and get a couple bottles of Dawn and a couple bottles of LemiShine.

This works well outside, but I can see this working inside as well in the colder months. I can sit the tray in the bathtub to rinse the cases and media. I can spread a towel on the reloading bench to set the cases out to dry.

If you don't mind waiting for the cases to dry before reloading them, this is the way to go.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    This is very relevant to my interests. I am about to run out of walnut media and have very seriously considered switching over. I am so tired of having to clean out the primer pockets I could choke.

Does the SS media scratch the cases? Have you seen any media getting lodged in the case?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Sounds like a lot of extra work to me. "Clean" is a relative term and I haven't touched a primer pocket in at least ten years, unless the flash hole needed attention.

Thirty minutes in a conventional tumbler, followed by sorting in a media separator is all I've need for 25 years of reloading. Think I'll stick with what works and doesn't require hours and hours of effort.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is very relevant to my interests. I am about to run out of walnut media and have very seriously considered switching over. I am so tired of having to clean out the primer pockets I could choke.

Does the SS media scratch the cases? Have you seen any media getting lodged in the case?

The cases come out with a mirror finish. If there are any scratches when they go in, they come out polished and not showing after tumbling.

After tumbling I toss them on a towel and agitate them every couple hours. Any wet media that is in the cases falls out when dry. I might have 4-5 steel pins laying on the towel after the cases are completely dry.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What was the cost for your equipment?
    I have been looking at this one
    Stainless Tumbling Media | Deluxe Stainless Tumbling Media Package
    but it's on the one day when I do lots more reloading. For the 100 - 200 pieces of brass I do a month my is good enough for now.

I gave $419 for the RCBS Sidewinder. Based on the reviews I read online I went with the RCBS. Thumler Tumblers make a nice unit without as many features for $179 (Midway's price)

I would go with a rotary tumbler and not a vibratory unit. I think the agitation is much better and the RCBS and the Thumler are both rated for wet or dry media.

The stainless steel pins are $45 for a 5 lb. bag. They will last forever unless you drop or loose them. I have a magnet on wheels for picking up nails and screws. After I dropped some pins dodging a swarm of yellow jackets, I just used the magnet to retrieve the wayward pins.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just put the first load of .223 brass in the Thumler Tumbler with the steel media, 1/4 teaspoon of Lemi-shine and 2 Tablespoons of Citrus dish soap. I'll post the before and after pics later this evening.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Pretty is great n' all, but 30-45 minutes in a vibratory tumbler with corn cob or walnut media would have made those 223 cases plenty clean enough to reload and shoot...even if you can't see your reflection in 'em. To each his own. :)

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As Promised.... This is tremendous to say the least! :rockwoot:

See, I wouldn't lie to you.:D

I hated case prep and after I got the Sidewinder and SS media, I ended up re-sizing, cleaning, trimming and priming 1,000 .308 cases. All I have to do now is drop the powder and seat the bullets.

Glad you're happy with your investment.

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    been using ss media with thumlers. I have nailed it to a point that it only takes me around 8 minutes prepping and separating sans tumbling time.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    :eek: WOW that looks real nice! How do the primer pockets look?

The primer pockets look exactly like the outsides of the cases, literally! Should make seating the primers perfect which was my main concern.

Between weighing cases and seperating media then putting the cases into a mesh bag for drying I have probably 12 minutes labor invested. The rest of the time while tumbling was spent doing something else as i normally would.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    As Promised.... This is tremendous to say the least! :rockwoot:

Dirty .223 Before Rotary Tumbling
    bd32b73a.jpg

After Rotary Tumbling
    536ecd12.jpg

Those look great. I could really care less if my brass is the shiniest but if it will save me time I am all for it.

How are you depriming before tumbling, some sort of universal deprimer? With whatever method you do, do you have to lube the dirty cases???

My current operation is clean, lube, decap/size, clean (mostly to get the lube off), then load. Consequently my primer pockets are usually not all that clean. It doesn't keep the primers from sliding in but the pocket certainly isn't clean by any definition of the word.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    My current operation is clean, lube, decap/size, clean (mostly to get the lube off), then load. Consequently my primer pockets are usually not all that clean. It doesn't keep the primers from sliding in but the pocket certainly isn't clean by any definition of the word.

This describes what many of us do and illustrates that "clean" primer pockets are not necessary or advantageous, in any way. As long as the flash hole is clear the only other thing you have to be concerned about, in the slightest, is some loose scale in the primer pocket. If you're tumbling again after you resize, then even that is a non-issue.

If clean and reloadable is good enough, tumbling works great. If "shiny", inside and out, is what you want, for whatever reason, then there are ways of getting there, like stainless media. For my time and money, I can't see a reason in the world to do anything but tumble cases.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Those look great. I could really care less if my brass is the shiniest but if it will save me time I am all for it.

How are you depriming before tumbling, some sort of universal deprimer? With whatever method you do, do you have to lube the dirty cases???

I'm using a universal decapping die from Lee. No lube necessary as the casing does not come in contact with the die. Only the decapping pin punches the primer.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    This describes what many of us do and illustrates that "clean" primer pockets are not necessary or advantageous, in any way. As long as the flash hole is clear the only other thing you have to be concerned about, in the slightest, is some loose scale in the primer pocket. If you're tumbling again after you resize, then even that is a non-issue.

If clean and reloadable is good enough, tumbling works great. If "shiny", inside and out, is what you want, for whatever reason, then there are ways of getting there, like stainless media. For my time and money, I can't see a reason in the world to do anything but tumble cases.

The result of the second cleaning is my issue and time killer. When I clean the second time to get the lube off I get media stuck in the flash hole and it is a PITA to get out and very time consuming.

Do you not clean the lube off before reloading?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The result of the second cleaning is my issue and time killer. When I clean the second time to get the lube off I get media stuck in the flash hole and it is a PITA to get out and very time consuming.

Do you not clean the lube off before reloading?

Yes, I tumble/size/tumble bottle-necked cases, just as you describe. If I don't tumble a 2nd time, I wipe the cases with a rag. Since I'm loading 50-100 at at time, for bolt-action rifles, this is not a problem. I'm using a finer walnut media that is not big enough to get lodged in the flash hole, unless the hole itself needs to be reamed.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    Dusting off an old thread...

I'm currently reading Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading" 2nd Edition. In the section on case sizing for handguns (Chapter 4, page 52 in my copy) he says, "If cases are exceptionally clean, some of the brass will rub off on the carbide. The dirt, soot, oxides and oil on the case keep the case from galling the carbide." Has anybody had an issue with this?

Thanks,

brian

Top Bottom