Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Popped Primers - .308

I have a conundrum with trying to figure out why these primers popped out under fire. I shot these from a Savage 10 FCP .308 rifle.

Recipe:
    Federal Gold Match Brass
    Winchester LR primer
    H4895 powder
    42.3 to 43.1 gr load
    168 gr Hornady Amax bullet

I contacted the person i got the brass from and he claimed he had no idea how many times it's been fired which leads me to believe that maybe the primer pockets were too loose. I loaded the primers with a Lee hand prime and they "seemed" snug but since this is the first time i've loaded large rifle primers i'm not sure.

I also double checked the powder charge from my ChargeMaster to my beam scale and they checked out good.

My question is there any other variable that might cause the primers to pop out besides a loose primer pocket ?

Side Note: the powder loads i used are in the middle of the spectrum for this powder so this shouldn't be the culprit.

Here is the target from the 42.7 gr load i used.

Last edited by straight-shooter; 07-10-2012 at 16:00.
    Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I forgot to mention that I shot 12 rounds of factory Federal Gold Match with no signs of popped primers. From what I can find on the internet it looks as if FC brass is kind of known for this. Anyone know how well the LC brass performs ?

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Sounds like loose pockets. I have had new FGMM ammo do this in a semiauto. One out of every 3 shots. They wanted the ammo back,and the code date it was run. Makes a mess of things,one primer got caught brhind the carrier and scarred up my reciever,which,Bushmaster replaced.

You loaded brass that was fired and reloaded an unknown number of times???????????

Quote Originally Posted by rimfire_crazed View Post
    You loaded brass that was fired and reloaded an unknown number of times???????????
    Shame on me for sure.... I won't make that mistake again. I also noticed the pressures of the popped primer jammed the ejector spring and i just removed it and it's going to need to be replaced.

Shooter
    too hot maybe? is it just the picture or do the primers that stayed in look really flat?

There are extractor impressions on all of them, and several of the cases with primers in place are sooty and flat. I'd expect your bolt face is or soon will be etched.

You are over pressure.

It might be that some of the cases also have loose primer pockets, but you are over pressure none the less.

By what data are you 'middle of the spectrum'? How far from the lands?
    Playing the preference points game...

.020 from the lands and Hodgden says the minimum charge is 41.0 gr and max is 45.4 gr for the 168gr Amax bullet.

I loaded my test loads between 42.3 and 43.1, those pressure are well within limits.

If you noticed two of the cases have gas blow by around the primers which tells me the primer pockets are suspect. I have to agree that the primers do looks a tad flat.

The gun itself has about 200 rounds fired.
    Last edited by straight-shooter; 07-10-2012 at 16:01.

Thumbs up Before you "Trash" that FC Brass...

Buy/try a 100 pack of Wolf/Tula primers in those FC cases.
    This is NOT a cure for loose primer pockets, but MAY get a few more cycles through those FC cases??

Wolf/Tula primers do seat tighter on most all sizes of primer pockets. I have had some .223 FC cases that CCI #400 primers were a tad loose, and the Wolf .223 primers were tighter to seat, and I got a few more cycles through those FC cases?? Worth a try..Bill.
    NRA Life Member since 1976+Outdoor Sportsman

Was it super hot out w/ your rounds in the direct sunlight by any chance?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast