• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A little preface. Ive been precision loading for years on a forster coax. Its slow and precise and on certain rounds I couldn't care less about speed all I care about is prefection.

About 2 years ago I decided to try progressive reloading. I bought a dillon 650 with case feed. I had owned it for a year or so and only loaded a few hundred rounds. I had issues with the press and spent alot of time on the phone with dillon (they were more than helpfull and sent me all the fix parts for free every time I have absolutly no complaints). By the time I got it working right I was already flusterated with the whole progressive reloading and had pretty much decided progressive reloading was not for me and decided since I only shoot a 5000ish bulk rounds a year I could buy them easier than make them and sold the press before I really got a chance to learn it well.

Now with ammo hard to find recently I have decided to re visit the issue. I believe the ability to make my own bulk ammo in a hurry is a option I would like to have in the future. When I tried progressive reloading it was very rare that I had a full hour to sit down and make ammo wich is not very fruitful. Now I have a little more time to sit down and get it right.

So on to my question. First of all im not looking for "red is the best because thats what I have and like" or "blue is the best because thats what I have and like" What I am looking for is "I have used both options, I like x about this and y about that but my favorite is ___"

I will say even though I never fully got the swing of my Dillon im kind of leaning that dirrection because Im a stickler for customer service and Dillon was outstanding. Another reason Im leaning towards Dillon is I kept my press for a couple years and really didnt lose alot on the resale.

I believe Profire arms is a dealer of both and they will get my business, Im just trying to figure out wich check to write.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Why not go with a Dillon 550? It's close to being as fast as the 650 and is less complicated/ cheaper. I have both a 550 and 650 love them both. THe 650 was just a used impulse buy. A friend has the Hornady LNL and I helped him set it up..also a good option. I just have had really good luck with Dillon's service and products and they get my money from now on.

PowerShot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    I did alot of research before buying a progressive and ended up with the hornady LnL. The main two reasons I chose the hornady are :

1. Better powder drop. I read it's usually within .1g. Mine has proven to do this also, even on short stick I get really consistent charges. I shoot in long-ish range competition and my scores are higher then when I weighed each charge. Part is pratice but I don't feel I'm losing any points in matches with dropped charges.

2. 500 free bullets. I chose .30 cal which is $150 worth. So the press came out to around $250 if you subtract the cost of the bullets. That's dirt cheap for a quality progressive. I've even seen some people sell the 600 pack for $120-$140 so they have less then $300 out of pocket for the press. I used mine since I have a few .308's but it was a deffinate perk.

I set the press up with no issues and have cranked out tons of ammo. In the first month I loaded as much as I did in the last 12 months on a single stage. I go slow because I double check every power charge and can easily produce 200 rounds an hour of .223. This is manually loading cases and putting in bullets. With the automated feeders I bet you could do 600+ an hour easy.

I'm not loyal to any color, in fact I never owned any Hornady product before this, I buy what I feel works best based on lots of research and I don't regret this purchase one bit.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Why not go with a Dillon 550? It's close to being as fast as the 650 and is less complicated/ cheaper. I have both a 550 and 650 love them both. THe 650 was just a used impulse buy. A friend has the Hornady LNL and I helped him set it up..also a good option. I just have had really good luck with Dillon's service and products and they get my money from now on.

I thought about that, But i think with the progressive reloader I will be faster with 1 hand always on the handle. Obviously Ill need a hand for bullet seating, but I dont want to have to place the case in every time. If im not mistaken (not a safe assumption) the 550 has no case feed option.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I did alot of research before buying a progressive and ended up with the hornady LnL. The main two reasons I chose the hornady are :

1. Better powder drop. I read it's usually within .1g. Mine has proven to do this also, even on short stick I get really consistent charges. I shoot in long-ish range competition and my scores are higher then when I weighed each charge. Part is pratice but I don't feel I'm losing any points in matches with dropped charges.

2. 500 free bullets. I chose .30 cal which is $150 worth. So the press came out to around $250 if you subtract the cost of the bullets. That's dirt cheap for a quality progressive. I've even seen some people sell the 600 pack for $120-$140 so they have less then $300 out of pocket for the press. I used mine since I have a few .308's but it was a deffinate perk.

I set the press up with no issues and have cranked out tons of ammo. In the first month I loaded as much as I did in the last 12 months on a single stage. I go slow because I double check every power charge and can easily produce 200 rounds an hour of .223. This is manually loading cases and putting in bullets. With the automated feeders I bet you could do 600+ an hour easy.

I'm not loyal to any color, in fact I never owned any Hornady product before this, I buy what I feel works best based on lots of research and I don't regret this purchase one bit.

Even though you have not used both, thats the kind of reply Im looking for. I mainly deal with scopes and it drives me nuts when alot of folks go "x is the best because thats what I have and all I've ever tried".

So how did the rebate work? do you just get a list of options and pick one? how long did it take to get your bullets (obviously this might have changed since you bought)

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    The no BS warrenty was my tipping point,I don't foresee my self getting out of shooting or reloading ...ever, and mechanical parts tend to need to be replaced over time. Not to mention I'm pretty hard on most of my stuff. I went with the 550, as I want to control the indexing, keeps my stages complete and correct, KISS.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    My reloading timeline:
    RCBS Rockchucker.
    Then a Dillon 450B? 4 die station thread in. Slide powder measure (doesn't like extruded) hand index.
    8 year break in reloading (raising babies).
    ebayed the Dillon.
    Bought LNL. (not auto eject)
    Excellent powder measure. I like the die bushings, mix and match locations for straight wall cases vs bottleneck. Factory crimp, etc. 5 die stations, auto index.
    Bought it on the price point, and the 1000 bullets thrown in.
    Guess I could say I like it enough that I'm contemplating a second one to set up for pistol.

Customer service from Hornady has been fine. Everything that has broke so far has been replaced for free. I had a case stick in the sizing die, and it cracked the ears off one of the slots in the shellplate, they sent a replacement for free.
    I'm still using the original spring that goes around the shellplate.

Still have the RCBS. Put the Hornady bushing adapter in it.....handy as hell.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I thought about that, But i think with the progressive reloader I will be faster with 1 hand always on the handle. Obviously Ill need a hand for bullet seating, but I dont want to have to place the case in every time. If im not mistaken (not a safe assumption) the 550 has no case feed option.

I think I've seen youtube vids of people modding a case feeder for the 550, but I've never tried it. You're correct that you would be faster with one hand always on the press, but after some practice it goes fast. In my experience it jams less than the 650 and is easier to fix when it does mess up which is a plus on the 550 side. I'm sure andrew has one and would let you try it out. I thought when I bought my 650 I would sell off my 550 and switch all the calibers I have for it to the 650, but I didn't. I actually like using the 550 better for what it's worth. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the choices mentioned. I'm not getting rid of my Coax though...I love that thing

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    I have a Hornady LNL and while I like it (compared to my Lee Turret press), I am a bit dismayed that it will not progressively load 30-06 without manual indexing of the shell plate; Need to manually index the shell plate because the unseated bullet will collide with the side of the bullet seating die before it gets into position to get IN the seater die. Then the seated bullet also collides with the Lee FCD I have after it. I've tinkered with the rotation timing, but to no avail.

Also, it could use a way to unload the primer tube without dumping primers everywhere, say if you finished a loading session and wanted to switch primers.

On the positive side: Shorter stuff works fine, and there's no question that it is solidly built.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Started reloading back in '77 on a used Redding turret press then bought an early Lee Progressive (still had to hand index the shell plate). Next bought a Hornady Projector (forerunner to the LNL). Great press, but you had to manually operate the powder measure. All the guys I worked with talked me into selling the Hornady Projector and buy a Dillon 650. It was a little faster, but had too many problems so I sold it. Purchased a new Redding T7 turret press and was very happy with it, but wanted the speed of a progressive so purchased a new Hornady LNL Progressive. I have not had one issue with the Hornady LNL Progressive. You might have to slightly adjust the paw that indexes the shell plate, but it is and easy adjustment. I love the ease of die changes with the bushing system. I run Redding dies with an RCBS lock out die. Also, I have tried to order a spare retainer spring for the shell plate and a primer tube, but Hornady sent them free. Dillon charges you for their "spare parts kit".

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    There is a case feeder for the 550 but it does pistol cases only.

I think that the 650 and LnL are pretty close. Either one, if not dialed in correctly, will create a lot of crap very quickly.

I have the 650 because I had a 550 before and because I had a bad experience with Hornady when I needed parts for my .223 die that stuck a LOT of cases. I paid for the parts, against my better judgment, it continued to stick cases, they sent me a new die body (for free this time), it stuck a case or three, and I threw it away. I replaced it with a Dillon sizing die and have never had a stuck case since. I use sizing wax by the way--no case should stick in my dies. I no longer use any Hornady reloading products. That's why I bought a 650 when it was time to upgrade to an auto-indexing press.

I bought the 650 because unlike with Hornady, I have had ONLY positive experiences with Dillon. I email them, they send me parts, no bull****, no telling me I'm an idiot for using their lube, etc. They just send parts. And that's what I need. If the people at Hornady think I'm a dumbass, so be it. I'm 100% happy with my 650, although it is admittedly more complicated than the 550 it replaced, but when it runs, it reallllllllly makes a lot of ammo quickly.

PowerShot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    So how did the rebate work? do you just get a list of options and pick one? how long did it take to get your bullets (obviously this might have changed since you bought)

There's a list you choose from. The form came in the box but you can view it online to see what they offer. It's about a 6-8 week wait and you have to pay the $15 shipping, but it's still a good deal. It's one bullet design/weight from all the common calibers.

I'm pretty sure you get the same rebate no matter where you buy from, just linking the one from midway since they have the file online. I waited untill the press was on sale for $380 and got it from them. Or you can pay the full price of I think $415 and use on of thier $20-$30 off promo codes.

http://media.midwayusa.com/pdf/coupons/hornady-get-loaded-2012.pdf

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have both LNL and 650xl. If planning on loading multiple calibers, go with LNL.

MY EXPERIENCE: the LNL is more finicky due to casefeeder issues more than anything. You also need to keep primer ram clean at all times otherwise jams/ binding would occur.

My 650 is a dedicated 40 sw loading machine. Expensive for mult calibers and a pain to switch. A joy to reload though. Smooth and fast with less casefeeder hiccups. I have it set with mr. Bullet feeder.

If you are close to fort wayne, you are welcome to try both presses.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I will be loading 2 main calibers and up to 5 total. some of them will be loaded for once ever couple years so changing everything for them wont be a big deal. MY intentions if I go dillon is to buy 2 heads.

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I will be loading 2 main calibers and up to 5 total. some of them will be loaded for once ever couple years so changing everything for them wont be a big deal. MY intentions if I go dillon is to buy 2 heads.

If you do not mind swapping tool heads, primer disc to accommodate size, adjust flaring/powder dispensing die, case feeder insert then go for a 650. Just make sure you see videos on swapping calibers for it. You cannot go wrong itch either IMO. Good luck!!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you do not mind swapping tool heads, primer disc to accommodate size, adjust flaring/powder dispensing die, case feeder insert then go for a 650. Just make sure you see videos on swapping calibers for it. You cannot go wrong itch either IMO. Good luck!!

Kind of sounds like a pain, my old 650 got setup for 556 and I never changed it. Obviously the dies are easier, on the hornady, but what about the primer disc, powder despenser, powder despensing bar, etc on the hornady.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have the LNL. Never used a dillion but have friends with a 550 and 650. Both with case feeders. The 550's case feeder will only do pistol brass. I have broken parts and a quick call to hornady and i had the new parts on the way. It was like they wanted to talk to me too, the service guy made sure I was certain how to change out the parts and re install them correctly. The only real issue I've had is the primer shuttle not grabbing the next primer, I figured it out on my own pretty quickly. Changeovers are quick assuming your dies are long enough for the lock rings to be on top of the bushings. Lee dies really aren't long enough. The only downside is this thing ships covered in some of the tackiest shipping grease I've ever dealt with.

I received my free bullets in about 6 days. Unusual I'm sure, I probably caught them in the middle of a 9mm run.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I went through a similar decision about a year and a half ago.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/142870-dillon_v_rcbs_v.html

I ended up opting for the LNL after reading this helpful full review someone posted.
    http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

Since then, my LNL has cranked out somewhere between 20-30k rounds. I've had 2 breakages, but Hornady CS is every bit as good as Dillons (who I've used previously for breakages with my SDB) and had me back up and running in no time with no BS.

The case feeder setup does have a bit of a learning curve, but once figured out runs very well.

Even though the 650 is more money, if someone were to offer a straight trade of one for my LNL, I wouldn't take it. The only thing that could tempt me back to team blue would be a Super 1050 with a PW autodrive.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Had a Dillon 550B, now have a Hornady LnL. The LnL is closer to the 650 than the 550. But honestly I think the difference between the two brands is actually brand preference or flip of a coin chance. Take your pick. Both are excellent machines.

Top Bottom