• ...and so much more!
  • tdmman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    South Central Indiana
    Hi,
    I've reloaded off and on for many years. The only non-jacketed lead bullets that I've loaded have been low velocity .38 special and .45 ACP. Due to the current bullet shortage, I bought 500 "hard cast lead bullets" from Space Coast bullets in .44 caliber. I want to load them for a .44 magnum handgun. What velocity can I load for before barrel leading becomes a problem? Thanks for any advice ...tdmman

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Hi,
    I've reloaded off and on for many years. The only non-jacketed lead bullets that I've loaded have been low velocity .38 special and .45 ACP. Due to the current bullet shortage, I bought 500 "hard cast lead bullets" from Space Coast bullets in .44 caliber. I want to load them for a .44 magnum handgun. What velocity can I load for before barrel leading becomes a problem? Thanks for any advice ...tdmman

It depends on a lot of things:
    1. Hardness
    2. Diameter
    3. Lube
    4. Speed
    5. Powder burn rate.

In general, 1000-1200fps. is the MAX bullet speed for most any hard cast bullets.(Without Gas Checks)
    I usually load my 9MM's at around 1050, in my Glocks (with aftermarket barrels), with my 124 cast RN, wheel weight alloy bullets. The rest-.38Spl.,.357Mag., .45acp., .44Mag. , are running less than 1000fps..

Hope this helps..Bill.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Assuming you bought the correct sized bullets for your barrel, the next step would be determining the proper pressure for the hardness of the bullet...

You can also get leading by using too hard a bullet and not running high enough pressures to obturate the base of the bullet.

I am not a caster. I buy my cast bullets from either Dardas or MBC. I have faired well using the information from MBC's site in regards to selecting the proper hardness for the intended velocities I load to.

Here's a simplistic read on selecting the optimal bullet hardness for your intended use.

Click here: Missouri Bullet Company

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Something else that may make a difference, the bullet shape. I have a box of 240gr BBSWC in .44, and they are plenty hard to shoot up to and past 1000fps, but in a revolver (cylinder gap) the beveled base creates a jet cone effect, and the flame splatters the base of the bullet, and leading becomes atrocious. The exact same load in either of my .44 rifles is just fine, without the first hint of leading. Try a few loads and see, worst case you have to do a little extra cleaning.

Top Bottom