• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    No load data, but helps you figure out packing arrangements for buckshot.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B65o4clJbCZYTjdmSkNxam9tSTg/edit?usp=sharing

This is a spreadsheet I have put together listing the most common buckshot sizes. Ignore column A shading, those moss green are just the molds I own. The bright green cells are optimum packing arrangements for a gauge, and whether there is a wad or not.

At the bottom is the diameter of a circle enclosing the packing arrangement. For example, for a circle having 5 balls in it you multiply by 2.701. So, 12 gauge bore is .729 I believe, divide that by 2.701 and you get .27. Oh, #2 buckshot is .27 diameter.

The little chart to the right is how TALL a stack of pellets will be. With some combinations they can settle into cracks of the other pellets. For instance, packing 3 pellets per layer, 4 layers tall (12 pellets total) would be 3.445 times the pellet diameter. With 00 being .33 nominal, that would be .33*3.445=1.14" tall stack of pellets.

There are also nominal pellets per ounce with those being in parethesis for pure lead, and those in brackets for wheel weights (since thats what I cast out of).

Want to do a buck and ball load? I do. So, I have a 7/8 ounce slug that goes in a wad. Based on the chart I could put 5 pellets of #4 buck in a wad. Those 5 pellets when cast from wheel weights would be about 5/21.7 ounces= .23 ounces. Add to 7/8 ounce and get a load that weighs 1 1/8 ounce. Hey, I can use some loading data for that!

No guarantees as to accuracy on buckshot diameters or that it won't explode your gun when loaded. I do however guarantee I looked up the math for the enclosing circle and height of the shot stack. If you have any questions please ask. I haven't really used this yet in ACTUAL loads. Use at your own risk, and obviously verify safety before shooting. It is helpful for trying to come up with a load.

Another load I'd like to try would be 14 pellets of #4 followed by 6 pellets of 00, based on the math it would be 1 3/8 ounces assuming cast out of wheel weights and assuming all sizes match nominal pellet sizes. (I chose those numbers specifically because they'd go in a shell with no wad and make nice layers. If you want to use a wad different combinations might work better. Say 8 pellets of #2 buck and 6 pellets of 00 in a wad for a total weight of about 1 1/4 ounces if made of wheel weights. I chose those values because a 2 pellet stack of 00 will fit nicely with a 4 pellet stack of the #2 in a wad)

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    Does anybody know why 20 gauge buckshot only seems to be available in #3 and #4 buck? I really don't understand it because #1 will double stack perfectly just like 000 will in 12 gauge. Weight wise the shell could easily handle 8 or 10 pellets of #1 (haven't tried to stack it to see if it'd fit). My only 20 gauge has a long barrel so I really have no practical interest, just academic. I also know other people have had issue with this.

Top Bottom