• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I have nothing against steel case ammo. But, I don't like Tula ammo. I wish I could say this is the only problem I have seen. But this is not the first time I have seen this. And, they by far have the most quality issues of any manufacturer I have seen. Pulled this piece out of a customers M&P shield that was locked up when the primer came out of the case.

IMG_20130707_194056_zpse3f8ea03.jpg

notice the lack of holes in the primer pocket.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yuck! Yeah the TulAmmo is dirty and not loaded as hot. I have no doubt quality control is less. That said I have shot a lot of the .40 S&W in my Glock. No problems.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't mean to thread-jack, but I've had more than one primer back completely out of an ATI brand .410ga slug round.

Just an FYI

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Tula, when only the best will do...no way for the primer to ignite the charge. Really?? Quality control at its finest Comrades....

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    This is the second missing primer hole I have encountered. I have lost count of the number of sideways primers and other problems. I am not saying every other manufacture is problem free only that I see the most problems with TULA ammo.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    After I had to beat stuck rounds out of the chamber in a brand new gun I avoid it like the plague. No more Tula for me! I don't care how cheap it is. I paid more for my gun then that ammo is worth.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I have shot Tulammo in both my Glock and Hi-point and didn't have an issue (knock on wood) related to the round. Some failure to feeds related to new magazine for the Hi-point.That being said, I prefer Winchester or Remington but Tulammo was the only thing I could find at that time.

Polished515

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Muncie
    Tula is horrible, IME. Like Rocdenindy said though sometimes it is all that can be found and for those who can't really afford better ammo I definitely understand them using it. It is definitely better for them to get practice using "crap" ammo than not practicing at all! I won't run Tula rounds through most of my firearms at this point, but that is just based off of my personal experience.

Last edited:

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have had FTF's out of Remington UMC, so its not just Tula. It happens in high quantity productions, just seems to happen more often where the standards are a bit lower.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Tula is all I'll shoot at the range from my AR, but I got brass in my SHTF mags in my house. So, will I bet my life on it? No, but it's not "horrible" either...lot's of hyperbole on the net about steel, the reality is that it's not that bad.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside
    Nobody will deny it's cheap/dirty ammo. I've had problems with Tula in 1911's, and will only shoot brass now in them. My Glocks on the other hand.....Tula tastes fine to them :):

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    If anyone has some Tula laying around that they just don't feel comfortable shooting because it is "cheap crap that will mess your gun up more than a pipe bomb" then please send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly. :)

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I've known of two people having problems with Tula first hand. One had an AR that would not cycle properly and the other was a PPK 380. Both issues were pretty much solved by shooting brass ammo. Nothing wrong with the ammo really - more of the firearm not cycling steel. I've never had a problem shooting it out of any of my guns. It's dirty but works.
    I would expect to see more Quality control issues with ammo across the board given the recent production. It's just gonna happen. Save the boxes and contact the manufacturer / sales company if you are that worried about it.
    I ordered some bulk 223 and was shorted about 25 rounds a couple of years ago. I contacted the sales company and they reimbursed me the amount I was shorted same day.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    It has been my experience that the Brown Bear ammo is the best of the Russian ammo and Tula is the worst of the Russian ammo. It all has a strong odor I will admit. But both of my AR-15's and all my Glocks run well on Brown Bear.

Many say Russian ammo is dirty, but to me seems no dirtier than Remington UMC or Federal American Eagle. I am able to obtain decent groups with Brown Bear ammo considering it's price. Not so much with Tula. But no Russian ammo will never shoot or group like high end premium ammo.

Many say it's not worth the price. If you don't shoot much then I concede that argument is true. But if you shoot often, your savings will quickly add up to be a substantial sum. Many talk about extractor or bolt face wear or damage in AR15's. But you save enough money on every 1,000 rounds you buy to pay for a new extractor and bolt and still have savings in your pocket. If you shoot more, you save even more. If you ever happen to wear a barrel out with Russian ammo, you have saved enough to replace that barrel and still have more money in your pocket.

Those who are that worried about causing any wear on their guns are those who probably don't practice with them. To become proficient in gun use means practice...and practice will cause wear. Just how the world works. I would suggest those individuals find other things in their lives to concern themselves with...like getting more training.

Here are some links to more facts and data on Russian ammo:

ComBloc Ammo FAQ

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

And some more links to facts about Russian Ammo from our own YouTube personality FullAuto:

The Truth About Wolf Ammo - YouTube
    Wolf Ammo Demonstration - YouTube
    Review: Golden Tiger Ammo .223 and 7.62x39 - YouTube

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    i hate tula ammo. its dirty crap. the ammo shortage ran for so long that one day walking through the walmat, i spotted a box o ammo. after peeing myself i pointed it out to my wife who quickly responded, its tula, i thought you hated that crap?. did i buy it? you betcha.
    took it out shooting and just randomly loaded a mag with what ever i pulled from the mix box. mostly blazer, a little bit o wwb and some tula in there.
    started firing off rounds, bam, bam, bam, pop,................. my brother looked at me and said what the hell was that? i said a mouse farted. fired somemore and relized you could hear the difference between the tula and all the other ammo. the other stuff was a loud bam. tula a sad little pop.
    so i ran a whole mag at once through it. after the mag was done i checked the barrel, and thought that tula used black powder. the moral of this story, i dont know.
    how about " Tula ammo, the best at making Blazer look good."

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I've put about 400-500 rds of Tulammo 7.62x39 through my AK under folder without a glitch. Good primer strikes, good power, etc. I haven't shot anything else Tulammo through except a box of 45 in my G21. Ran good. Dirtier than other but shot fine.

The 7.62x39 I shot was about year old stuff or more. The .45 was recently bought to test the gun.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Great now the pics are out and the democrats will surely use this as a ammo manufacturing idea.
    I have nothing against steel case ammo. But, I don't like Tula ammo. I wish I could say this is the only problem I have seen. But this is not the first time I have seen this. And, they by far have the most quality issues of any manufacturer I have seen. Pulled this piece out of a customers M&P shield that was locked up when the primer came out of the case.

IMG_20130707_194056_zpse3f8ea03.jpg

notice the lack of holes in the primer pocket.

Top Bottom