What is the Best Bulk .22lr ammo for a Scout Camp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VGFsirius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2013
    Carmel
    Hi All. I have been asked by the director of our Scout summer camp to help choose what ammo we will use this coming summer. So I thought I would come to my beloved INGO forums and seek the opinion of those wiser and more experienced than me.
    So far, I have had suggestions of Federal, which we have used in the past, CCI blazer, Goldenboys, Winchester 555, etc. I am open to all suggestions.

We are potentially looking to acquire 90,000 rounds of .22lr for this coming summer. If YOU were to purchase more than 50,000 rounds, what would you buy? We need them to be ranked with these criteria in mind.

1. Reliability (if the firing pin hits, will a projectile go down range?)
    2. Cost
    3. Accuracy at 50 ft.

They will be shot out of Kimber Model 82 Gvnt's and Anschütz benchrest target rifles. These are single shot bolt action rifles. They will also be occasionally used in Ruger Mk 2's, although we can probably get separate ammo for the pistols if needed.

Thank you for your time.
    James
    RSR Search and Research Committee

This morning I had Posted this https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...chester-555-22-lr-supersonic-hollowpoint.html

':The Scout Camp I work/worked for has potentially come into possession of Winchester 555 22.lr Supersonic Hollow points. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they reliable, or do that have a high failure rate? They will be shot out of Kimber Model 82 Gvnt's and Anschütz benchrest target rifles. These are single shot bolt action rifles.

Your opinions will be much appreciated.

-James
    RSR Search and Research Committee'

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Eley .22 is the best overall ammo that I have found. However, with the shortages in the market today, take what you can get. Scouts would rather be shooting than not and this is not a time to be picky.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    federal bulk 36grn bullets plated

or blazer bulk 40 grain lead bullets

blazer gets the nod for accuracy and a SLIGHT SLIGHT nod for cost

the federal gets the nod for everything else. it would also be a cleaner ammo

NO boyscout is going to be able to outshoot modern produced ammo in those guns so you don't need to be to concerned with the ammo's inherent accuracy.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    ':The Scout Camp I work/worked for has potentially come into possession of Winchester 555 22.lr Supersonic Hollow points. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they reliable, or do that have a high failure rate? They will be shot out of Kimber Model 82 Gvnt's and Anschütz benchrest target rifles. These are single shot bolt action rifles

for this question... see this thread
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...chester-555-22-lr-supersonic-hollowpoint.html

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Eley .22 is the best overall ammo that I have found. However, with the shortages in the market today, take what you can get. Scouts would rather be shooting than not and this is not a time to be picky.

I don't think boyscouts will really be able to use the benefits that come with the much higher price.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Last but not least. if you can find 90,000 rounds of ANY .22 buy it. hell you would be lucky to piece meal together 20,000 rounds for a moderate price in todays market.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Just curious if you have a budget yet? 90,000 rounds is going to be difficult to come by and possibly run $8,000.00 or more. I hate to see The scouts not get to shoot but reality is reality. Have you contacted any of the manufactures or distributors to see if they have any special programs for scouts?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm afraid that the tight match chamber on those rifles you mentioned might prevent some of the cheaper bulk stuff from cleanly chambering, even in a single shot bolt action. But I'd have a tendency to suggest the Blazer Bulk. I love the Federal Bulk and shoot it often, but on occasion I have gotten failures to fire which thus far I have never had with the CCI Blazer. At 50ft I don't think the HV stuff going supersonic is going to affect your perceptible accuracy over the standard velocity stuff which I would otherwise recommend for target shooting. For a few more bucks I would still recommend the CCI Standard velocity, or the Aguila SuperExtra Standard velocity.

I agree that finding the ammo is going to be your hardest bet. If you do find it, and getting 100,000 rounds instead of 90,000 rounds helps your pricing, I'd be happy to pay for the extra 10K rounds in any of the 4 products I just listed! :)

VGFsirius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2013
    Carmel
    Just curious if you have a budget yet? 90,000 rounds is going to be difficult to come by and possibly run $8,000.00 or more. I hate to see The scouts not get to shoot but reality is reality. Have you contacted any of the manufactures or distributors to see if they have any special programs for scouts?

We do, but I am not authorized to disclose it at this time. I can say that we go through 45,000 rounds of .22lr a year, and that we get special prices and grants from the NRA.

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    Hello

My son and I have a 10/22 set up for steel challenge that has right at 300k rounds put through it.
    CCI BLAZERS. , go bang most all the time however they would leave lead deposits in the barrel and effect accuracy.
    FEB BULK. blue or red box. Are much cleaner shoots fine approx 1/500 fail to fire.
    WINCHESTER white box, same failure rate as the FEDERAL in the rifle but our pistols would not feed it well,
    I believe its from the weak crimp and the bullet is loose on them and won't feed into chamber.
    WINCHESTER M22. Shot ok , liked federal bulk better.
    REMINGTON. same report as the Winchester white box.
    CCI mini mag 40gr. Clean, accurate, feeds, goes BANG every time.
    Brian

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I would probably go with Round Nose over Hollow Point.

I would also try to avoid ammo that is very dirty or lead fouls quickly. You are going to go through a lot ammo every day all summer long. The rifles might not be cleaned as well as you would clean your personal firearms.

Winchester White Box or Federal Bulk should both do fine.

Best idea is to buy a box of several different brands and run them through the actual rifles you will be using before you buy half a pallet of something. What works well in my .22 rifles might not work well in yours. What would be an acceptable FTF rate for one person shooting 100 rounds once a week will be a major pain with 12 shooting stations running all day long for six weeks. Every FTF means a hand goes up and someone has to walk over, take control of the rifle and deal with it.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I don't think there is much difference between ammo brands for your application. Bolt action .22's will eat pretty much anything and a moa or two better or worse will probably not be that big of an issue.

I know the NRA stepped up this past year to make sure youth shooting programs had what they needed to operate. It made me very proud of the NRA.

Now that I think of it, I would probably try to get a plated round instead of a round with exposed lead. The plated might be cleaner shooting and should not leave as much lead on the shooters' hands.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Is for Ransburg? I ask because those are the same exact rifles they have down there. I always try to help out at the range when our troop is there. or maybe Camp K?

If i had a choice id go with CCI Blazer bulk. If you can get standard velocity 1080fps i would but most of the bulk ammo is high velocity like 1170 or 1250 fps.

Winchester T22 in bulk would be a good choice. The last couple years they had remington thunderbolts and i have no problems with that ammo shooting well enough to pass the merit badge. I would avoid any of the copper wash bullets.

Make sure to get a Friends of NRA grant submitted.

By the way those Kimber triggers are horrendous.

And i would like to be involved in the shooting stuff going on at Camp K. If you need any help please let me know.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    CCI Standard Velocity Bulk Packs (comes in 500, 10 boxes of 50 rounds, blue color). I've shoot over 4K of these in the past and haven't had a FTF. Out of my Stevens Model 416 it's very accurate.

VGFsirius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2013
    Carmel
    Is for Ransburg? I ask because those are the same exact rifles they have down there. I always try to help out at the range when our troop is there. or maybe Camp K?

If i had a choice id go with CCI Blazer bulk. If you can get standard velocity 1080fps i would but most of the bulk ammo is high velocity like 1170 or 1250 fps.

Winchester T22 in bulk would be a good choice. The last couple years they had remington thunderbolts and i have no problems with that ammo shooting well enough to pass the merit badge. I would avoid any of the copper wash bullets.

Make sure to get a Friends of NRA grant submitted.

By the way those Kimber triggers are horrendous.

And i would like to be involved in the shooting stuff going on at Camp K. If you need any help please let me know.

Yes, it is for Ransburg. Hopefully we will move to having a full line on Anschütz eventually. The Kimbers have held up well, all things considered. Did you come down during week 8/9 to help out? That would have been the second half of july, I believe.

Top Bottom