• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I bought a pound of just plain old Clays with the intent of working up a load for my 1911. I'm happy with my other powders and didn't see a need to "break the seal" and open the bottle. As it turns out, I'm shooting more 9mm these days and my guns like 4.0gr of Titegroup under either Berry's or Xtreme 124 grain bullets. The problem is that I am down to about a half pound of Titegroup with almost no hope of finding it at least in my area or online.

Have any of you guys tried Clays in 9mm Luger? While Titegroup has a half grain min/max range, Clays only has a .3 to .4gr range. My Lyman powder measure has no problem keeping Titegroup loads right on the money but will Clays measure and flow like Titegroup? Like I said, I haven't opened the bottle so I haven't seen the actual powder yet. The load and chrono data shows that Clays yields much lower velocities than TG loads too. The big question is, would it be worth it to work up a load with Clays or would I be better off trading it for Titegroup?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Clays or Universal Clays? I have used Clays (NOT UNIVERSAL) for 9mm and it makes good ammo, but the range from min to max loads is a bit tighter in 9mm than a lot of other powders. It is a great powder for .45ACP in a 1911 though, so I'd keep it.

ETA: Here's a link to some load data from the powder manufacturer http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    Clays or Universal Clays? I have used Clays (NOT UNIVERSAL) for 9mm and it makes good ammo, but the range from min to max loads is a bit tighter in 9mm than a lot of other powders. It is a great powder for .45ACP in a 1911 though, so I'd keep it.

ETA: Here's a link to some load data from the powder manufacturer Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

It's just plain old Clays, not Universal Clays. The Hodgdon data shows a range of .3gr for my bullet weight. It's definitely doable as long as it meters like TG. The amazing thing is at a 3.0gr charge weight, that pound should yield over 2300 rounds.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Yes, it is very darn economical for 9mm! It meters well for me in both my Dillon and my RCBS powder measures. Maintaining +/- 0.1 grain has never been an issue.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I use Clays (regular) and ClayDot (back when we could get that) almost interchangeably. For my soft 125 gr 9mm, it's just plain great. Good accuracy, low recoil. When I tried it with any charge with 115gr, I would get failure to cycle in my stock G19 and I didn't get the accuracy I wanted from 147gr pills (albeit, it felt like a dream).

As for metering, I didn't like how it meters, so I just use a Tupperware container, dump in a pound, and use Lee scoops for measuring. I dole it out, then seal the container for the next go around. I know, the dippers aren't the most accurate (can vary up to .1 gr with the loading I do), but for plinking/close range (up to 15m), I have no complaints. It's when I try stretching out the distance (25M +) that I start noticing the powder variation causing inaccuracy. I will not use them for rifle calibers (they vary WAY too much in that regard), only using them to get a charge close on my scale, then following up with a trickler.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    .....As for metering, I didn't like how it meters, so I just use a Tupperware container, dump in a pound, and use Lee scoops for measuring.....

That's what I was afraid of. I don't want to break the seal to look at it. Is it not a spherical powder like TG? Powders like TG, Bullseye, 231 and H110 etc. are what meters best out of my Lyman. AA#5 looks like it should meter well but it sometimes causes a gritty feeling in my measure. I guess "scoop and measure" is better than not shooting at all.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Its a flake powder. I'd have no problem trading you a pound of 231 for it though, except it ain't worth it to either of us to drive that far for 1 pound of powder

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    O'shark,

Remember: It doesn't meter from MY dispenser. It might for yours!

It's a flakey powder, not like Titegroup's weird half flake/half sphere powder. My measure won't run Longshot or Unique well either. But then again, any loads I'm making with Longshot are all going to be measured and uniformed on a scale, my Unique loads are 50/50 (either all measured for carry or scooped).

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    That's what I was afraid of. I don't want to break the seal to look at it. Is it not a spherical powder like TG? Powders like TG, Bullseye, 231 and H110 etc. are what meters best out of my Lyman. AA#5 looks like it should meter well but it sometimes causes a gritty feeling in my measure. I guess "scoop and measure" is better than not shooting at all.
    Clays is a flake powder and it it meters like red dot,unique and others. 231/hp-38 is flake as well but much smaller and meters well out my of lee auto disk and lee perfect. The big flake powders do well out of my lee perfect but I have zeo trust in the auto disk with large flake powders. I wound up with some squib loads in .38 and thankfully had the instinct not to fire again. I might have lost a perfectly good smith due to a bullet lodged in the barrel. I like clays due to its low charge weight but it comes with responsibilty. Me personally I have found 3.2 grns. Red Dot behind a 124 lead RN is way pleasant and the brass is pretty much piled up about 2 feet to to right. A real mild plinker. I agree there is not alot of room for error with clays so safety is paramount.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have used it in 9mm, with 124gr bullets, but I like using the Universal Clays in 9mm much better. I leave the Clays for my 45 ACP loads. As far as metering, it should be just fine, I have no trouble keeping it +/- .1 gr in my Lee powder measure. I still check it every 10 or so throws, but have not ever had an issue with it tossing wild weights.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Clays is a pretty fast heat range powder. It works great in Shotshells and other loads that are 8,000 to 12,000 pressure factors. (like 148 flush wadcutter .38spl loads) It would not be my first choice for 9mm, .40 or other high pressure loads.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    It's just plain old Clays, not Universal Clays. The Hodgdon data shows a range of .3gr for my bullet weight. It's definitely doable as long as it meters like TG. The amazing thing is at a 3.0gr charge weight, that pound should yield over 2300 rounds.

Clays is the weird one that comes in 14 ounce jugs, for some odd reason. My guess is so is equal to other powders in rounds to pound of powder ratio.

With my RCBS and Hornady measures it is not as easy to get the really light weights as the heavier 5.0 or weights. Yes, 3.0 grs would last a very long time. From my experience with Clays is that it has a very small window for mistakes, have read it can spike a 1/10 of a grain showing over-pressure. In 45acp but it shoots like a dream not tried it in anything else so far but it does meter well.

GLOCKBOY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    I've just loaded 500 125gr 9mm with Clays. 3.7gr gives 1050fps average and its very consistent. I have absolutely no issues with metering thru my Dillon powder measure.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have used a lot of Clays powder over the years. More than a dozen 8 pound jugs. I load it for shotgun and target loads for many pistol calibers. It is not the best choice for 9mm, but it can work.

I use 3.4 gr. of Clays with a 125 gr. lead RN bullet. It is pretty accurate out of my S&W M&P9. I have shot that load in a steel plate match and in a few 3-gun matches. It functions fine and knocks down the targets. It even did a fine job on the Texas Star.

Remember, use good judgement when reloading and always double check any load suggestions with at least one or two good loading manuals. Good luck.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Clays is the weird one that comes in 14 ounce jugs, for some odd reason.

The reason is that Clays is bulkier than most powders and the standard 1 pound bottle only fits 14oz of Clays. This is more noticeable with the 8 pound jugs. Clays and a few other powders need a larger jug due to their bulkiness. That bulk is handy when loading light target loads. It fills the case better. One time I was switching powders in my measure from Clays to AA#5. I thought I would check what each powder would weigh for the same volume. I was loading 3.8 gr. of Clays for my 38 revolver. I dumped out the Clays and added AA#5 to the measure. The same volume of #5 measured 9 grains. Quite a difference.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The reason is that Clays is bulkier than most powders and the standard 1 pound bottle only fits 14oz of Clays. This is more noticeable with the 8 pound jugs. Clays and a few other powders need a larger jug due to their bulkiness. That bulk is handy when loading light target loads. It fills the case better. One time I was switching powders in my measure from Clays to AA#5. I thought I would check what each powder would weigh for the same volume. I was loading 3.8 gr. of Clays for my 38 revolver. I dumped out the Clays and added AA#5 to the measure. The same volume of #5 measured 9 grains. Quite a difference.

That is interesting. I have not had much of chance to find other powders for the 45 to experiment like that. It does make good sense now that you mention it, seems like 4.2gr fills a 45acp case about half way.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I use Clays now for 9mm after using PowerPistol and HS6. HS6 was nice, PowerPistol was dirty and flashy, and both took more than Clays. Standard load right now is 124 gr JHP over 3.5 gr Clays. Clean, consistent, cheap. No problems with metering out of my Lee Autodisc, except when first starting again after a long layoff. Have to measure the first 10, then it seems to settle down after that. Don't have to worry about double charging, since 3.5 grains fills it most of the way.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I use Clays now for 9mm after using PowerPistol and HS6. HS6 was nice, PowerPistol was dirty and flashy, and both took more than Clays. Standard load right now is 124 gr JHP over 3.5 gr Clays. Clean, consistent, cheap. No problems with metering out of my Lee Autodisc, except when first starting again after a long layoff. Have to measure the first 10, then it seems to settle down after that. Don't have to worry about double charging, since 3.5 grains fills it most of the way.

Glad that works well for you. At 3.5 gr, that's 2000 rounds per pound. It doesn't get more economical than that. For top velocities in a 9mm there are better choices, but you can get some good loads with Clays.

Top Bottom