• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    So I got some 358 Win cases. Cut one down, formed with my 358 Hoosier die, final trimmed to 1.795 and chambered in my Savage. The bolt handle closed but required more force than the reloads I've been making with the same dies. The ram "cammed over" so I know that's not the issue. Looking at the reloaded cases I have ,compared to the newly formed case, it is obvious that the shoulder is not nearly as sharp and defined on the new case. Is it "normal" to see this on newly formed cases, and should I expect the issue to resolve once the cases have been shot once?

Thanks!

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    If it is closing hard you will need to adjust your die down a little and I mean a very little. As for the rounded shoulder that should get better after it is fire formed. You are going to need to get a neck sizing die. You can get one from Midway for around $25. Just order a 358 neck sizing die. It will keep you from working your brass so much.

After a round is fired in your chamber it's set to that chambers size. If you full length size it you are putting your brass back so it will fit in any 358 Hoosier rifle. You are only concerned with it fitting your rifle so you just need to neck size it. After Five or more re-loadings you may have to full length resize your brass. It will tell you when you will have to do it because they will become hard to chamber or will not chamber in your rifle. I put every resized piece of brass through my rifle before going to the next step. Doing that will keep you from having to take rounds apart.

After four re-loadings of forty rounds I have six that need full length resized. They have been replaced with the stand by sized rounds that I have from the original fifty pieces of bass that I started with. When I get 10 I will full length size them and they will become the stand byes. Your new brass should not be hard to load in your rifle. It should have a little resistance but go in with out any real effort. In short it shouldn't be loose. If it's loose the shoulder is to far down on the case and you will need to adjust your die up a little.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The only thing I'll add here is this: Your sizing die is adjusted correctly when sized cases have JUST enough headspace to allow the bolt to close with little or no additional effort. If the bolt will close on every round, but there is a little extra effort involved, that is potentially ideal for fire-forming loads. What it means is that the case is being "crush fit" to the chamber before firing and will result in the least possible stretching at the web.

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    Thanks for the info guys. I understand what is being said about adjusting the sizing die, i.e., that I should move the die down slightly to get the bolt handle closing with "normal" effort. Thing is, there's no way to move it down any further than I have. The shell holder is contacting the die, and the ram handle is camming over. The only thing I can think of in the way of adjustment would be to shorten the die itself.

But, I shouldn't have to do that. I purchased 20 loaded cases when I bought the gun, and I have used my dies to reload the cases, and they chamber fine. Thoughts?

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Have you inspected the neck and shoulder / neck junction areas of your formed brass for shiny spots indicating contact in the chamber? Could it be possible that the brass is too thick?
    I know that I had that issue with mine. I have heard that some of the new WW brass is now thicker than older lots.

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    Brass thickness should not be an issue with unloaded cases, should it? Regardless of the thickness of the actual brass, the die deterimes the outside dimensions of the sized case. I can see that being an issue with neck thickness from say a 308 case.

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Glad you fixed the problem. I was wondering if the two shell holders are marked with the same number to indicate which cartridge heads they are designed for. And, do you know if the one you just used successfully the same one you had used originally with your other .358 Win brass? Also, I am curious if the most recent brass you used is factory new (or used) .358 Winchester made by Winchester? Or, is it made by Hornady?

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    The RCBS #3 is the one that works with the new brass (Winchester - Olin). The shellholder that was not working very well was a Lyman X2. The old cases were Winchester as well. I have not tried Hornady cases. I can't be certain which shellholder I used before on reloads, but I believe it was the Lyman. I have no idea the date of the manufacture of the new brass. I bought it from a guy on 24 hour campfire, it came in an unopened bag, but I don't see a date.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Brass thickness should not be an issue with unloaded cases, should it? Regardless of the thickness of the actual brass, the die deterimes the outside dimensions of the sized case. I can see that being an issue with neck thickness from say a 308 case.

Agreed, I read your post incorrectly and thought you were talking a completed round. Good to hear you figured out what the trouble was.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom