• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ASD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Southside
    Looks pretty cool. Only thing I would be worried about is innocent people getting hit when than thing expands. In the one clip they showed the fragments flew clean thru the sides and top of the block of ballistic gel.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've never seen real ballistic gelatin that was clear and there was a significant difference between the clear gel and the yellowish gel which was probably much closer to the real thing. I'm having a difficult time believing it'll be much of an improvement at such a light weight. What'd they say it weighed, 90 something grains? Figure it dumps close to half of that when those shards break off and your left with less weight in the slug than a 5.56 round which offers precious little without high velocity.

I'm thinking it offers more by way of looks than performance but I'm not an expert, perhaps they've unlocked something special. I'd be interested to see how it performs through body armor, may have some potential in that area.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Works like a hole saw? Really? What would the revolutions per minute have to be for something to "hole saw" at the 1500 fps or so a 9mm at that weight is likely to see? 9mm is what, about a 1 in 10 twist rate? What rpm would that impart on the bullet?

Looks like yet another great way to kill the guy from septic shock 5 days after the shooting.

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've never seen real ballistic gelatin that was clear and there was a significant difference between the clear gel and the yellowish gel which was probably much closer to the real thing. I'm having a difficult time believing it'll be much of an improvement at such a light weight. What'd they say it weighed, 90 something grains? Figure it dumps close to half of that when those shards break off and your left with less weight in the slug than a 5.56 round which offers precious little without high velocity.

I'm thinking it offers more by way of looks than performance but I'm not an expert, perhaps they've unlocked something special. I'd be interested to see how it performs through body armor, may have some potential in that area.

as for the weight, most if not all hollow point defense rounds range from 93 Gr (Magtech) to 115 Gr (Hornady Critical Defense) 9 MM is a small fast round. weight is not a factor in my decision for a defense pistol round. my major concern is about expansion and depositing the energy into a person withing 12 to 14 inches with max expansion between 1 to 3 inch. this will maximize the damage to your target and minimize what comes out the back, protecting your family and also neighbors.

i honestly dont see this round doing well against body armor but i would really like to see it impact level 3A NIJ soft armor. i just ordered a box and have some armor laying around so will see what it does to soft armor and a 4A plate

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    as for the weight, most if not all hollow point defense rounds range from 93 Gr (Magtech) to 115 Gr (Hornady Critical Defense) 9 MM is a small fast round. weight is not a factor in my decision for a defense pistol round. my major concern is about expansion and depositing the energy into a person withing 12 to 14 inches with max expansion between 1 to 3 inch. this will maximize the damage to your target and minimize what comes out the back, protecting your family and also neighbors.

i honestly dont see this round doing well against body armor but i would really like to see it impact level 3A NIJ soft armor. i just ordered a box and have some armor laying around so will see what it does to soft armor and a 4A plate

All of my defensive 9mm is larger than the target rounds which are 115gr, my Federal is 147gr

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    All of my defensive 9mm is larger than the target rounds which are 115gr, my Federal is 147gr

indeed there are a huge amount of home defense rounds on the market for a huge amount of situations. as i said weight is not my deciding factor. i care more about how well that energy gets transferred into an unwelcome guest and not through 4 walls into my kids bedroom.

my 308 hunting round of choice for hogs and yotes is a winchester PDX1 split core hollow point. it is a full 30 Gr lighter then FMJ and 60 Gr lighter then target load. the expansion is amazing and the damage it causes in the first 10 inches is incredible.

this may be the best new defense round in the world or the worst, until i see more ballistics and tests on it who knows!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Dupe, but was that standard ballistic gel? Seemed not as dense and more "jiggly". Why would this bullet penetrate so deeply if it fragments?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I'm right there with you, weight is not the end all - be all but weight retention is a point of particular interest to those who study terminal ballistics and the effectiveness and ability of a particular bullet to incapacitate. This round willingly sheds probably half of it's weight or more in the form of small copper shards which appear to zip little tunnels through flesh. Those shards may complicate the wound and they may cause substantial bleeding but neither of those lend themselves to quickly stopping someone which is the goal of a defensive round. What's left of the remaining bullet is small, light weight and I'd have to guess isn't moving all that quickly having lost energy while shedding the shards.

As I mentioned, pure speculation on my part as I don't claim to be an expert but this round seems to go against current beliefs on what constitutes an effective round.

Top Bottom