• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I may start putting a 2" Ultra Lite 38 special into my carry rotation and was wondering what round others carry. I currently have Federal Hydra Shok in my LCP and I like the round very much. I have been looking at the Federals or Speer Gold Dot in the 38 but was also wondering about carrying LSWC in 158 grain as well.......

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Hydra Shok is a little outdated, still a good round, if it did the job then, it will do it now.

Have you looked at the HST? I carry those in my XDS, and I like them. Hornady Critical anything seems to get rave reviews too..

Check out youtube, there is a plethora of videos covering each round in practically each caliber.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    When I took MAG 40 about 5 years ago Mas Ayoob was aked same question only gave one option as best, Speer 135gr short barrel for the 38.

His expertise goes beyond simply haveing time and an internet connection.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When I took MAG 40 about 5 years ago Mas Ayoob was aked same question only gave one option as best, Speer 135gr short barrel for the 38.

His expertise goes beyond simply haveing time and an internet connection.

Correct. As far as I know the 135 +p short barrel load is the only one that met the FBI standards for 2" revolvers.

The critical defense is supposed to expand out of a snub. It will likely lack penetration. The 130 gr PDX1 is supposed to perform well.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Reliability in expansion. The hydrashok is notorious for clogging. Newer bullets are designed to better retain their jacket for better weight retention. That said I actually really like hydrashok. I have found them to be accurate and reliable. Even finicky guns have handled them well. #1 consideration for defense ammo is it has to go bang and cycle the gun. Hydrashok will generally do just that.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The hydrashok is notorious for clogging. (.....) That said I actually really like hydrashok. I have found them to be accurate and reliable.

Except when they are clogging? Ok, I'll check out the Speer short barrel, since two of my three wheelguns are snubbies.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Except when they are clogging? Ok, I'll check out the Speer short barrel, since two of my three wheelguns are snubbies.

Look at the bright side if they do not expand they will get more pentration. :laugh: Like I said reliability is essential. Accuracy is important. I actually load the 90gr hydrashok in the wife's 380.

It just so happens the speer short barrel loads have shot well in every revolver I have tried them in.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Speer GDHP 135 gr +p
    Corbon DPX 110 gr +p
    Remington 158 gr +P LSWCHP
    If I can't get any of the above, then 148 gr. wadcutters.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My 38 goes with Remington 125 gr SJHP +Ps. I found a pretty decent quantity for a really good price. I have tested it, and it is pretty reliable in my testing (though denim and without) it reliably expands out of the short barrel.

I am sure that there are newer and better options out there, but this one has a good reputation, and is very accurate in my snubbies. I really doubt that if push comes to shove that a BG is going to stick around if he were to find out I went the bargain route instead of spending $1+ per round...

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Speer GDHP 135 gr +p
    Corbon DPX 110 gr +p
    Remington 158 gr +P LSWCHP
    If I can't get any of the above, then 148 gr. wadcutters.

Bingo! For most .38s out there, the above list will do the job. I love the DPX bullet, hate it's accuracy in any loading I've tried and unfortunately, due to panicking people, the SB Gold Dots are hen's teeth.

The Critical Defense stuff does great, until they get behind wallboard, thin gauge steel or autoglass. Barrier performance has been dismal for the Critical Defense line. People will say that they don't need barrier performance, until they get carjacked. :D (okay, sick humor, but still, a reality that alot of citizen shooters don't take into consideration). Outside of that, the decent amount I shot of it was low flash (during a night shoot), accurate, REALLY low recoil (even in +p fodder in an alloy j-frame) and best of all: Available here recently despite the panic.

Problem with the LSWCHP is expansion out of short barrels. In actual testing involving denim or thick clothing, they clog and zip through. If you have a 4", these work well.

And lastly, in actual shootings, 148gr wadcutters, any, work in a pinch: loaded to low velocities, very soft deforming lead, they minimize overpenetration damage and will create a clean hole.

Whatever you get, shoot alot of it. This gun may defend you, like any others, but the carry-a-bility of the snub means it will be with you more often. Shooting a cylinder worth at the end of a box of ammo isn't going to train you. Buy a few boxes, shoot them to get an idea of what the round is going to do and how the gun handles them.

scottm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Hobart
    I carry Remington 125 +p SJHP Wal-mart specials as well. In a 38 Snub nose I'm not expecting Thor's hammer. I comfortable enough with them to know where they're going and the job will still get done. Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep and practice plenty.

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    I'm sure it's good stuff, but that was 5 years ago.

I took MAG40 in June of 2013. Ayoob was carrying a Smith and Wesson 442 in his left front pocket stuffed with Speer 135 grain gold dots. In addition to some brand of 1911 on his right hip. I asked him his opinion of the Hornady Critical Defense loads in 38 and he replied, "No body has really been shot with 'em yet." This may have been a bit of hyperbole, but I think the point was that there wasn't enough data to convince him that there was something better.

Top Bottom