• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alphabrace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    If lead gets much more expensive in the future, is there any movement for plastic bullets for target shooting and such?

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Even if the plastic was strong enough to survive the forces and resistant to the heat, the sectional density would be terrible. Not good for anything but short range practice, and all of your handgun sights would need to be swapped out to be able to zero. Bullet weights would be a fraction of what they are now.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, they make plastic bullets for CAS and shooting gallery type stuff, but for any real intensive uses they would be impractical.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I've shot a few hot glue bullets in my S&W snubbie. Primer powered only. The "group" was about 6" at 10'. They can be fired more than once.

But, since I cast, I'd rather use light target loads with lead bullets.

These glue bullets were cast in one of my Lee molds.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I'm not sure plastic bullets would be strong enough to survive the massive acceleration of being fired, and would likely melt going down the barrel due to the heat involved.

While it would seem that to be the case, I have a box of plastic training rounds designed for the G3, the work in my CETME just fine, and while extremely low recoil, they are certainly not lacking in the velocity department. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 4k FPS is what I have been told. While not the long range shooters that the 147gr FMJ that typically gets fed through the rifle, they do make some noise, and give reasonable accuracy out to 100 yards or so. They are really spectacular at close range when shooting nuisance piney squirrels and chipmunks in the back yard.

Top Bottom