• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    It is the forerunner to Ranger SXT and Bonded PDX1.
    Someone would probably pay a little extra just because of the notoriety or for a collectible.
    I would prefer one of the newer rounds but if I had some, I would use them.

sniper102

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    NWI
    I shoot mine. I have about 3 cases of them. I have the new Ranger rounds also. The only difference is they aren't black.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I have seen them higher priced then the SXT's , i have some .40 talons . I have seen people buy them for way more then normal , i guess like slawburger said its a collectible type thing.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    They're somewhat of a "collector's item" now.

Some will definitely pay a premium for a full box + being in good condition.

I personally have no idea what they'd bring.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Take them to a gun show or "pocket traders" event, sell them for a buck a round, either collectors or the uninformed will snap up the now 20+ year old ammo in a heart beat...

Reminds me, I need to get back to buying PDX1, painting the bullet black with a magic marker and selling them as Black Talons... :) Might be doing someone a favor if they actually have to use their ammo...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    They are highly dangerous..............

0714002234a.jpg

I'm lucky to still have my hand. One of the dumber things I have done.

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    if you carry them be prepared for a bunch of hassle from leo, should they have a chance to inspect your handgun. I had to endure quite a bunch of bs over my quote, Teflon coated cop killer bullets, unquote from a local PD. not saying it will happen but it can.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Apparently someone who doesnt understand how bullet proof vests work decided that the teflon on the Black Talon would make them go right through the vests that police wear, labeling them "cop killers".

If pressed into service, I am sure that they would work as well as most hollow point SD ammo, but I dont believe they posses any special powers that seek out targets on their own, or that warrant the $40+/ per box of 20 that I have seen them for at gun shows. I wouldn't trust 20 year old ammo in my SD gun when new production ammo is still available, and probably newer, more reliable technology to boot.

If you have a supply of them, I would either shoot them, or sell them to black talon fan boys at the gun shows for a healthy profit.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Can't believe I missed this thread.

Black Talons were never outlawed and Winchester was never forced to quit making them. They got a bad name because some person went on a shooting spree and used Black Talons. Plus that dangerous black finish which was NOT teflon, it was Lubalox. Press claimed it could punch right through a bullet proof vest. It was just a good ol smear campaign

Winchester due to headaches just dropped the Talon and made the STX then the PDX, claiming that improvements to the expansion for both lines.

During the panic last year I picked up my first 9mm carry gun and the only hollow points I ever cared to hold on to (novelty) was Black Talons. I carried them for months until I found a box of Gold Dots

ru6797

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Niles
    I will have to do that, back 20 years ago as a reserve a carried them on duty, then all the fuss about them working to well our chief told us to chance them out, now i have a box or two of 9mm and 45acp just setting in safe

Top Bottom