• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • master*photog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Mooresville
    I will be getting my first 41 Magnum revolver soon and I will be reloading. I'm a bit confused on what type of crimping is recommended with this cartridge.

I see some people mentioning roll crimping and others are taper crimping. I've attached a link to a set of dies that I think would be a nice set, but I want to confirm what type of crimping method the 41 mag guys are using.

Thank you,

Redding Pro Series Carbide 3-Die Set 41 Remington Mag

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can not say what type of crimp we used to use. I know the bullets had a crimp ring. We sold our 41 mag several years ago. All we ever shot was reloads. In fact dad sent the dies home with me last weekend so that I could sell them on INGO.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You will want to use a roll crimp for the .41 mag. A firm roll crimp in heavy recoiling revolver rounds will prevent the bullet from walking forward under recoil.

Taper crimp is used for cartridges that head space on the case mouth such as 9 mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, ect....

I'm sure that Redding set is a fine set, but I have never had any issues with the (4) die sets from Lee and they would probably be about half the price...

Good luck and stay safe !

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Redding is GREAT..

That will make you an excellent die set, and will come with a roll crimp die.

Most revolvers call for a firm roll crimp. The crimp is needed to prevent bullet from walking foward on recoil.

A firm roll crimp is also needed for some powders (WW-296/H-110, 2400) to hold bullet into case longer for a 'Full Burn" of these powders, for proper pressures/speeds.

In general a roll crimp on revolver loads, and a taper crimp for semi-auto loads..Bill.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Roll crimp; the amount necessary will depend on gun weight, bullet weight, and load power.

If you have too little you will know when your cylinder locks up from a pulled bullet. More of a problem with the lightweight guns.

master*photog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Mooresville
    Thanks all, big help here - much appreciated!

FYI - the revolver is the heavy frame (Model 83 FA), the bullets that I have gathered so far are a 170gr JHC Sierra and some hard cast 215gr Wadcutters.

As I pulled my bullet info, I just noticed a difference in diameter, the JHC bullets are .410 and the cast bullets are .411, will this create problems in the reloading process?

Thanks again!!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Thanks all, big help here - much appreciated!

FYI - the revolver is the heavy frame (Model 83 FA), the bullets that I have gathered so far are a 170gr JHC Sierra and some hard cast 215gr Wadcutters.

As I pulled my bullet info, I just noticed a difference in diameter, the JHC bullets are .410 and the cast bullets are .411, will this create problems in the reloading process?

Thanks again!!

Not at all..Most all cast bullets are .001 larger than jacketed bullets..Bill

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    The dies you mentioned are great, but you could use any 3-die set that has a carbide sizing die. I do not suggest using the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD). If you use cast bullets, the FCD will swage down the bullet and they may be undersized. I do not use the FCD on any of my revolvers for that reason. Lee's 3-dies carbide set is fine, but you could skip the 4-die set with FCD.

The gauges are not needed for revolvers. For case length, get a nice set of calipers. Actually, in 33 years of reloading, I have never trimmed straight wall pistol cases. You will need the calipers for measuring OAL and other things too. I never bought a case length gauge. The calipers will do that for every cartridge, just check a loading manual for case dimensions. After you have a loaded round, put it in your cylinder. That is the best gauge. If it fits, it will work with that gun.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    @MP

I reload for around 20 different cartridges and have never once bought a case gauge. I've got calipers and chambers to check my loaded rounds with...never did see where I needed a paper weight on my reloading bench.

Definitely go with a good roll crimp. I'm near Mooresville, so if you'd like some help with doing your first reloads, I'd be glad to work with ya.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've used a Lee factory crimp die on 41 mag since I got my 657 8 years ago. Never had an issue of accuracy out of it for the bullet being undersized. I could maybe see that if the lead was super soft, but otherwise...I don't know. I've not noticed any degrading accuracy using it.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    The Lee FCD does not always cause a problem; but if you have an oversize bore and need to use a larger diameter bullet, the die will swage the bullet smaller than optimal for your bore. The FCD is not needed in a revolver. If the bullet is correctly sized and fits the cylinder, the die is at best not necessary and at worst will give you an undersized bullet that will give less than peak performance. Check out the Cast Boolits forum. There are lots of cast bullet making experts there. Most everyone advises against using the FCD for cast bullets.

The times I have seen the FCD needed is when a loaded rounds do not always function in a semi-auto. There are a few reasons, but sizing the loaded round cures them. These problems mostly do not exist for revolvers.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I usually just use a crimping die instead of using the roll crimp feature on my 41 mag die, that's just me though. I've only had one round walk out on me while shooting, and that's before I started using the FCD. That's been years ago, I was new at reloading and the crimp on my RCBS might have been light, but since switching to the FCD, never had an issue

At the same time, I just use the roll crimp from my Hornady die on 38 spl, but then again, I'm loading basically a wadcutter load with semi wadcutter bullets so the force isn't near what the .41 is

master*photog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Mooresville
    @MP

I reload for around 20 different cartridges and have never once bought a case gauge. I've got calipers and chambers to check my loaded rounds with...never did see where I needed a paper weight on my reloading bench.

Definitely go with a good roll crimp. I'm near Mooresville, so if you'd like some help with doing your first reloads, I'd be glad to work with ya.

Broom_jm, I tried to send you a PM, but INgunwoners won't allow it due to my post count not being high enough. send me an email and I'll send you a 'PM' that way. Thanks! Chuck@cs2photography.com

Top Bottom