• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BTSTEVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I like others use a case tumbler to clean brass. I was wondering if others use some kind of timer to run the tumbler so you do not have to manually turn it off. I often set mine with a christmas light timer that will run for 4 hours and then shut off. That way I do not have to remember to turn it off.

My problem is that my current timer is acting funny and not working good. Does anyone else use a timer and what kind. I would like to find an electronic timer that I could program to 2,4,6,8 hours or something similar.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I used to have a digital timer I used to control the heat lamps for some lizards I had. Been meaning to dig it out for this very purpose for a while now.

Also need one for my block heater on the truck.....at least until this weather goes away.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The timer for that isn't a bad idea at all! I normally will drop my brass in there and then go do something like watch a movie with the family or something for about 2 hours or so and after just wander back in there and shut it off. I normally don't tumble until I'm able to be home and have several hours in a row to dedicate to monitoring all that so I'll usually clean a gun or two, tumble the brass and then play a game with the kids and then go finish up a couple of hours later.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I have a timer that I've used for the tumbler and it works great. I set it for a couple of hours -- thinking of doubling that time for cleaner brass -- and the only downside is that it will tumble and shut off just fine, but if I forget that I have brass being tumbled and don't go into the shop for a day or two ... well, let's just say that I end up with REALLY clean brass! :):

BTSTEVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I think this one is the one I am going to get to replace the one I have been using.

Prime Wire 2-Outlet LED Countdown Pigtail - Tools - Electricians Tools - Timers

It is similar to the mechanical one I have been using, but it is digital and I can just hit the button for 2 hours or 4 hours and forget about it. I just cover the photocell with electrical tape and select the time, that way it goes off in 2 or 4 hours. The mechanical kind I have been using worked for a time, but the timer dial is now off and I don't know how much time I am turning it to. This electronic one should alleviate that.

Do you all know of something that would work better than this for this purpose?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The time is not critical, it is not like the polisher uses huge amounts of current. 3 hours---4 hours, it is not critical. I turn it on and go to bed. It is ready in the morning. I just use an old style mechanical switch wheel type lamp timer. I think I bought them at Ace Hardware, probably 20 years ago. They still do the job.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Wabash
    Been using an old mechanical timer for many years. The numbers are long gone so I don't really know how long mine will run. I hate listening to them anyway so when I am done at the reloading bench, I load them up, twist the dial, shut the light off and close the door. Brass is ready to use the next time I walk in the door.

Top Bottom