• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think it is... I bought 3 one goes to my son to go along with his 22 he is getting for his bday. One went to my nephew who is completely out and shoots a lot. One went in my safe for my ar22/mark I

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I never did either but Since the "new and improved" golden bullets have been out, I've fired 500-600 of them without one single ftf. I'm still impressed. Marlin model 60, and Ar with cmmg .22 conversion and no issues. For me their on par with federal bulk now.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    I never did either but Since the "new and improved" golden bullets have been out, I've fired 500-600 of them without one single ftf. I'm still impressed. Marlin model 60, and Ar with cmmg .22 conversion and no issues. For me their on par with federal bulk now.

Same here. Son's Marlin 60 w/ these "new" Golden bullets have been flawless. Not saying they're match grade by any means, but no FTF which is unusual for these in the past.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've had excellent luck with the "new and improved" Rem Golden Bullets, better I'd say than I've had with the Winchester Super-X bulk packs. My son's 10/22 take-down would sometimes have FTE's running Winchester, but never a hitch with the new GB's.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I've had crap luck with Golden Bullets as well, but I bought some at Gander Mountain last fall....stood in line with about 200 other folks. Got a box and they've been GTG.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Through my involvement with the NSSF, as well as a salesman for a supplier, I got to know some of the Quality control people at the Remington plant. In 2010 and 2011 they were aware of the disappointments people were having with Remington .22's. To meet the demand they were having to run two of their old machines that were really worn out. The bottom line is that two of those worn out high production volume machines have been replaced. I was sent a couple of boxes from different lots from the new equipment to review. (and replace the bad quality boxes I mailed in for their testing) It was noticably more consistant. It clearly was not Federal 900b, Eley 10X, or SK Match grade, but it was a bunch better.

Last edited:

Silverslider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    i have never had a big problem with goldens. they have always cycled fine and no jams. mine main issue seems to be consistency and i would never use for serious target shooting, only plinking. when you load up a 20 round mag and cycle through you can hear the difference in sound as some of the bullets go off. i assume this is velocity differences from lack of a high performance manufacturing process.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    SShhh... Don't say they are good. They are very, very bad bullets. Just leave them on the shelf for those people who don't know any better....

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Through my involvement with the NSSF, as well as a salesman for a supplier, I got to know some of the Quality control people at the Remington plant. In 2010 and 2011 they were aware of the disappointments people were having with Remington .22's. To meet the demand they were having to run two of their old machines that were really worn out. The bottom line is that two of those worn out high production volume machines have been replaced. I was sent a couple of boxes from different lots from the new equipment to review. (and replace the bad quality boxes I mailed in for their testing) It was noticably more consistant. It clearly was not Federal 900b, Eley 10X, or SK Match grade, but it was a bunch better.
    I just have to say this. I question the veracity of the Remington QC people you spoke with. I can't believe it took Remington until 2010 to recognize that their .22 ammo was having problems. I was aware of it probably 10 years before that, as were other people who were paying attention. It seems more likely that Remington decided to sell inferior .22 ammo, simply because they could ignore the complaints and still sell it, and I do know folks who complained and sent in duds, etc.

flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    I have shot the 525 packs in my 10/22 since I got it its not always the best but more often than not its the cheapest. You get what you pay for. I have not bought any since the recent hikes and will not buy from the gougers. I stop by and hope that I see some on the shelves at places like dicks and walmart.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I just have to say this. I question the veracity of the Remington QC people you spoke with. I can't believe it took Remington until 2010 to recognize that their .22 ammo was having problems. I was aware of it probably 10 years before that, as were other people who were paying attention. It seems more likely that Remington decided to sell inferior .22 ammo, simply because they could ignore the complaints and still sell it, and I do know folks who complained and sent in duds, etc.

Remington 22 ammo was notorious back as far as the mid- late 70s when I was getting started in shooting for having issues with duds etc. I've been pleasantly surprised by the ammo of theirs I've bought in the last 5-10 years, it has improved.
    I've even had great luck with even their notorious Thunderball LRN ammo as far as both feeding and reliable ignition in a variety of semiauto guns.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Remington 22 ammo was notorious back as far as the mid- late 70s when I was getting started in shooting for having issues with duds etc. I've been pleasantly surprised by the ammo of theirs I've bought in the last 5-10 years, it has improved.
    I've even had great luck with even their notorious Thunderball LRN ammo as far as both feeding and reliable ignition in a variety of semiauto guns.
    Most folks just want to plink and aren't really concerned about duds, nor accuracy. That's how Remington was able to produce sub-standard rimfire ammo for all those years. I used to shoot Remington Pistol Match ammo back in the late 70's. I would find about 2% to 4% duds. That is unacceptable for premium ammo. I also used to shoot Winchester T-22. I had similar problems with it. It is amazing that Remington took so long to correct their issues with .22 ammo (I'm taking your word on this). I have been happy with CCI and Federal rimfire ammo, as well as, some imported brands, like Aguila and Lapua. Eley has always been exceptionally reliable. I understand how hard it is to get .22 ammo now, so beggars can't be choosers, but I'll continue to steer clear of Remington and Winchester rimfire ammo as long as I can get something else.

Top Bottom