1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    Finally got to test my first hand loads
    10yds
    9mm
    Accurate #2 (3.4gr, 3.6gr, 3.8gr)
    1.075 OAL
    115gr cast lead round nose (falconbullets.com)

I think Im going to stick with 3.6gr

First Handloads.jpg

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    Yup they all fired and ejected fine. After reviewing different books and such I chose to start with the load data from the powder manufacturer, which for 115 gr lead cast round nose the min Cartridge Overall Length (COL) is 1.070

Capture.PNG

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Yup they all fired and ejected fine. After reviewing different books and such I chose to start with the load data from the powder manufacturer, which for 115 gr lead cast round nose the min Cartridge Overall Length (COL) is 1.070

View attachment 26081

So, as a guy who not only wants to get into reloading and plans to start with 9mm, am I correct in assuming that a (COL) of 1.070" means NEVER load the 9mm shorter than this length? On the recipes I follow, would I be fine to have a slightly longer case length for safety's sake or should I am to get as close as possible to the minimum COL of the round I am trying to make? Thanks..........

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Is it just me or does the OAL of 1.075 seem a bit short ? I normally load 9mm RN at 1.135 but I realize it's dependent on the brand bullet and firearm.
    That's right on the money for just about everything in the ball park of 115gr round nose. I load all mine right at 1.140 + or - .005 depending on the brand of bullet.

I'd be concerned with the OP's seating depth if he got a powder charge that was a little proud, especially with AA#2 there's not much wiggle room there.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Congrats! Nothing is better than rolling your own. It really gives you a finer understanding of shooting in general......watch out....it may become more addicting than the shooting itself:)

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    So, as a guy who not only wants to get into reloading and plans to start with 9mm, am I correct in assuming that a (COL) of 1.070" means NEVER load the 9mm shorter than this length? On the recipes I follow, would I be fine to have a slightly longer case length for safety's sake or should I am to get as close as possible to the minimum COL of the round I am trying to make? Thanks..........

I am new also, the way I understand it, as long as you do not go under min OAL you should be fine, but going longer will not hurt anything as long as your firearm feeds the longer round. I welcome correction if I am mistaken.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township

Do not be afraid to load within a recommended OAL for a cartridge. No need to go with the minimum or maximum. As long as you are not working with "hot loads" you should have no worries. Lack of pressure can be just as big of an issue as too much. A squib that is not noticed can have catastrophic consequences.....ask me how I know:)

I load my 9mm to 1.14......feeds great and is right down the middle.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    My first reloads last year were 9mm also, I did 200 of them and my two neighbors sent them down range. They said they were "shooting crooked and were terrible" then they wanted to know when the next batch would be ready for re-evaluation. Not sure what to make of this.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    My first reloads last year were 9mm also, I did 200 of them and my two neighbors sent them down range. They said they were "shooting crooked and were terrible" then they wanted to know when the next batch would be ready for re-evaluation. Not sure what to make of this.
    That means there wasn't a box of 9mm on Walmart's shelves all summer long again and thanks to you they got some trigger time in.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    And I would be willing to bet the re-evaluation all shoot low and will need a need to batch to retest. Lol.

Id id have to go check, but I think I seat at 1.135" OAL with 115 or 124gr. Easily fits into mags and chambers and seemed to be more accurate out of the 6 guns I've tested in.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I am new also, the way I understand it, as long as you do not go under min OAL you should be fine, but going longer will not hurt anything as long as your firearm feeds the longer round. I welcome correction if I am mistaken.

Do not be afraid to load within a recommended OAL for a cartridge. No need to go with the minimum or maximum. As long as you are not working with "hot loads" you should have no worries. Lack of pressure can be just as big of an issue as too much. A squib that is not noticed can have catastrophic consequences.....ask me how I know:)

I load my 9mm to 1.14......feeds great and is right down the middle.

Thanks to you both for the information. I am eager to start reloading 9mm for my XDm. All I am waiting on right now is for online vendors to stop showing "out of stock" for pistol powders. Someday soon, I hope................:)

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    Thanks to you both for the information. I am eager to start reloading 9mm for my XDm. All I am waiting on right now is for online vendors to stop showing "out of stock" for pistol powders. Someday soon, I hope................:)

I would try really hard to find some powder in a shop locally, that $25 lb of powder will cost ya $50 with the hazmat fee

Top Bottom