• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    We had our weekly shooting match last night and several of the shooters had misfires (or alibi's) with good solid firing pin strikes.
    This was with both Remington and Winchester .22 LR solid point ammo with the black bullets in the bulk packs.
    One of the shooters remarked that they had paid a pretty hefty price for them so I told him to save them and see how many more he could collect and then send them back to the manufacture for evaluation and that they may send him some free ammo for his time and trouble.

Anyone else experiencing these kind of problems and what brands are they?
    With ammo availability being what it is you take what you can get but you want it to work.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Thus far I'm still relying on Federal Bulk, and I haven't seen any changes in reliability from the maybe 2 misfires per 550 that I'm accustomed to. These are all lots from at least 1 year ago though; I haven't bought any new .22 since 2012.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had a M-22 not fire a couple weeks ago but when I put it back through the pistol it fired. The rest that day were fine.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If you watch the CCI video of .22 being made, you wouldn't have any doubt why FTF's are common in .22 ammo. Considering how little space there is in the inside of the rim, and how dry the primer material is when it is put in the case, by hand, then spun to send it out into the rim, I am surprised that the failure rate isn't up in the 25 to 30 percent range.

macafly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a tightwad and stocked up on a bunch of the bulk packs when it was cheaper and available. Most does fairly well, might get 1 or 2 FTF's per pack. I'll usually run them through again and about half will light off. When I check whats left, there is usually no evidence of the primer. Doesn't seem to follow any one brand.
    Cheers

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you watch the CCI video of .22 being made, you wouldn't have any doubt why FTF's are common in .22 ammo. Considering how little space there is in the inside of the rim, and how dry the primer material is when it is put in the case, by hand, then spun to send it out into the rim, I am surprised that the failure rate isn't up in the 25 to 30 percent range.
    My experience with .22 LR ammo, is that if it is made properly, there is little chance of having duds, unless their is a problem with the gun. I buy .22 ammo by the case (5,000) and most of it is match grade. Getting even one dud out of a case is the exception, rather that the rule. OTOH, my sentiments regarding Remington and Winchester .22 LR ammo coincides with U.S. Patriot.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have used Remington Golden Bullets for most of my life without enough issue to make me want to switch. I do have an occasional misfire, but never any more than any other brand I have shot. Typically I find it to be an issue with the gun, more so than the ammo. sometimes a good cleaning it all that it required to set things straight. Accuracy has been good enough too, as I have always used them to hunt squirrel with, unless I could find the CCI that my little marlin likes slightly better.

I have found that Federal tends to shoot a little straighter in my wife's buckmark, but not so much so that I would shun the Remington in favor of it. My Marlin bolt gun actually prefers Aguilla Standard velocity over anything else I have tried in it, even more than Ely, and some of the other expensive .22 Match grade stuff out there.

Just goes to show, its not always an issue with the gun in question, but sometimes they just wont get along with one another.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I've had issues with Winchester Super-X misfiring every other round in my Dad's old Marlin 60, but that same ammunition works just fine in an old Steven's bolt-action .22LR I have sitting around. I don't shoot my .22's very much so I haven't experimented with different brands of ammo though.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    When they are running the machines day in, day out, no rest, 3 shifts a day, paying overtime and having to cut corners to satisfy the flipper's demand for cheap ammo to resell, it's no wonder that so many folks are popping up with reversed primers or unreliable ignition.

Top Bottom