• ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I have questions
    Has anyone had any luck necking up 25-20( I happen to have 150 of them) Can it be done in one step?
    I am hoping to load around 100grain SWC bullet at 800fps-ish out of a 6" smith any powder load idea's
    Anything to avoid loading for this round? Ways to ruin brass quick or other little caliber specific tid bits?
    Any help or advice you can give me is appreciated.
    Any tips on a 1905 model Smith can also be included.Loading and OAL ect. that worked best in these
    Thanks a bunch fella's

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I don't have one, but my buddy does. I know he's had good luck with a 100gr SWC in both his Vaquero and his Marlin.
    Never tried forming from .25-20. (He likes Starline), but he has said more than once that it's a pretty thin walled case, and crushes easily.
    Pick up a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Should have something close to what you're looking for.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Also any recomendations on reload dies? I am hoping to shoot cast .313-314 and am looking at the RCBS COWBOY die set. Is there any thing to be gained with a lee factory crimp in this caliber?

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Talked to my shooting buddy.
    He suggested Unique and Trail Boss as likely candidates.
    He used Lee Dies. Dunno if he has a FCD or not.
    Since it's easy to resize a lead bullet with one, I'd try with out first and see how it goes. Can always add one later if you needed to.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I'll have to get back to you on specific loads, but I know Unique has been my go to powder in the .32 WCF. I tried some HS-6 last fall with good results. I normally load 115gr bullets. I'm down to three .32/20's now, I think. I've had several Smiths chambered in it, though.
    Here is a group of hand ejectors I had at one point

as to a factory crimp, I wouldn't worry about it in a revolver. Maybe in a tubular magazine, but for your Smith I'd just roll crimp into the crimping groove on the bullet. I don't think you'll have much luck necking up the .25/20 cases as they start out pretty thin. No harm in trying if you don't have a good use for the .25/20 cases though!

Just to show off a bit, here are my two favorite .32/20's. A USFA Turnbull Cowboy Classic and an old Husqvarna single shot bolt action

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom