• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Is there a powder that works across various ranges of calibers? Eventually I want to reload 30 Carbine, 45ACP, 9mm, and .223/5.56.

I'm working on collecting components for the spring at the moment, so I'm still looking around. Advice appreciated!

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Not gonna find any powder that'll cover all of those.

Consult your reloading manual.

^^^^^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^^^^^

There are several powders that would be serviceable, not necessarily great for both 45acp and 9mm but the other 2 will need powders more suited to rifle loads, which I am not familiar with.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Ah ok. I didn't know if the .30 Carbine could use a pistol powder or not given the size of the cartridge. I'm heading down to Cabela's this weekend, will look for a reloading manual there. I don't know if one came with my press (Lee Loadmaster) or not. What would you all recommend?

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Pistol is a broad category. I've seen very acceptable results for 30 carbine with H110 and Alliant 2400. Both of those powders are considered "pistol" powders and I have personal experience with them in .357Mag. I've also used these in 300AAC Blackout. Neither of these will work in 45, 9, or 223.

Realistically, you need three different powders at a minimum but probably four. Do you plan on reloading shotgun? Many proven 9/40/45 recipes use common "shotgun " powders.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    As flashpuppy alluded to, you have ironically asked about 4 different cartridges that would most likely require 4 different powders to work well. The 30 Carbine is a fussy little round for which there are only a small handful of suitable powders available, if you want to load jacketed bullets.

Ideally, you need a fast pistol powder for 45ACP, a slightly slower pistol powder for 9mm, the slowest of pistol powders for 30 Carbine, and a medium-fast rifle powder for 223. Of these, only the 45 and 9mm might share a common powder, such as Titegroup or Unique. The problem with trying to find 1 powder to do everything is that you'll be compromising on everything. ;)

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Ah ok. I didn't know if the .30 Carbine could use a pistol powder or not given the size of the cartridge. I'm heading down to Cabela's this weekend, will look for a reloading manual there. I don't know if one came with my press (Lee Loadmaster) or not. What would you all recommend?

I'd recommend driving north to Profire rather than south to Cabela's.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I'm a big fan of Profire. Lots of GOOD information there. Prices are good as well. Inventory is a little low but that's mainly due to the market right now. I was at Cabelas in Louisville on Sunday-had very little powder (stored behind the counter in the back corner of the building). Bass Pro just north of the state line had some powder but was higher in price than Profire or Atterbury.

Youve got options. Some powders work for 45 and 9 but I run separate powders. I do have some that work with 223 and 308, but that's different altogether. FWIW I use Titegroup, AA5, HS6 and W231 for 9 (haven't found HP38, Universal Clays or Power Pistol) and I use Clays or Clay Dot for 45.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Buddy of mine told me it was 47 degrees in KY yesterday. I don't blame you at all for driving south! :)

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    51hJYAO9NzL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

81cYn5dORWL._SL1500_.jpg

And if you are just getting into reloading, I would suggest.

51UEINhawvL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I use numerous manuals including Lyman and on line data also. I use ammoguide (AmmoGuide Interactive also. My opinion is you can never have to much information at hand.
    Some are available at Bass Pro I know. Not sure about Cabelas. I usually just order new editions off ebay or Amazon

And crab cakes are good also. Not particularly fond of Kingfish though...:)

Top Bottom