• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thinking about ordering some ammo online and had some questions.

1) Can I find it cheaper in stores or online?

2) How do the websites know if the customer is of legal age or not? What prevents an 18 year old from ordering his carry ammo or a youngster from ordering .22lr(besides lack of availability) from ordering hid plinking ammo?

3) What is the average shipping time?

4) What is the cheapest site to order from?

Thanks all!

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    SG Ammo
    AIM Surplus
    Palmetto State Armory
    are the first 3 that came to mind.
    Lucky Gunner
    Natchezz
    Midsouth Shooter Supply

lots of online retailers. Most are pretty quick ship, some want a fax copy of DL to price age, most don't.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

2) How do the websites know if the customer is of legal age or not? What prevents an 18 year old from ordering his carry ammo or a youngster from ordering .22lr(besides lack of availability) from ordering hid plinking ammo?

Thanks all!

Question 1 is difficult to answer. The prices are usually better online, especially if you can find a deal and/or a coupon code to use. For instance, I just bought 500 rounds of 9mm from MidwayUSA yesterday. With shipping, it was going to end up being 32 cents a round, which isn't great, but isn't horrible. I've seen $17 or $18 a box (50 ct) or higher for standard FMJ brass ammo at LGS's. At Walmart, you can find 100 round WWB 9mm ammo for $26.67, plus tax. Ends up being right around 28 cents a round. The problem is finding it in stock. Plus you can only buy 3 boxes. I found a coupon code for $10 off a first order at MidwayUSA, so ended up spending about 30 cents a round. Cheaper than any of the LGS's that I've seen, plus I was able to get 500 rounds.

I think question 2 has been answered. Question 3 depends on where you order it from and if it's in stock or on backorder. My order shipped out yesterday, the same day I ordered it, but it's coming UPS ground, so I probably won't see it before Thursday of the coming week. Some places ship much faster, but charges can be from free to $15 or more for a smallish order. Use the links here to find ammo, or use wikiarms, which I like because you can hide steel cased ammo, which I avoid because I collect my brass for a buddy who reloads (Find 9mm Ammo in stock | WikiArms - Best Price on 9mm Ammo). Another great thing about the search engines is they often list coupon codes. With the wikiarms link I posted, look for the little price tag symbol. It indicates if there is a code to use. That also should answer question 4. There isn't a "this is the cheapest site all the time" site, but if you use the various search engines, watch for discount/coupon codes and things like that, you should be able to find some good deals. Of course, if you're okay with remanufactured ammo you can find some really good bulk deals. I just don't have any personal experience with it myself. Good luck finding what you need at a good price.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    1. Will vary , sometimes online cheaper but often local source cheaper , esp Walmart but sometimes even LGS.
    Keep in mind shipping costs

2. The ones that care about age may require a faxed copy of ID.

3.Shipping will vary, I've had ammo from Aim and Centerfire Systems arrive next day but typical will be 3-7 days

4. See answer #1, best price will rarely always be the same source whether local or online.
    A few good ones are those mentioned above like AIM and SGAMMO, Sportsman's Guide, as they often will have free shipping combined with very competitive prices, Lanbo's Armory and Manventure Outpost are also often among the cheapest.

Shipping costs will vary between dealers, shop these as carefully as you would prices.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN

Thanks all!

1) Sometimes, shopping around, and having the funds to purchase if/when you find a good deal has been the best way I have found to catch a good deal.

2) I have not found a COD ammo source online yet, mainly CC purchases are the expected payment form, and as far as I know, credit cards arent typically issued to minors. As far as handgun ammo to a person over 18/under 21, not much most do except ask the question on checkout. I know AIM requires a copy of photo ID to order, but most I have never had ask.

3) Average shipping time seems to be right around 5 days. Some places ship faster :rockwoot:others take more time:( I tend to remember the ones with faster service, and will lean toward ordering from them if they are close in price and have what I am looking for in stock.

4) As far as the cheapest place to order from, I have found good deals on ammo from just about any of the online sources out there. It really depends on what you are looking for, how good of a deal they bought it for, and if they have it in stock or not. Many times my LGS has prices that are close enough to what the average online retailer has that after adding shipping costs, it just isnt any cheaper to buy online unless you are buying in bulk.

I look around, and try to make note of places that typically have better prices. Sometimes one will be slightly higher on one item, and lower on another. Others will ding you on S&H charges to make up for their lower prices. Pay attention to the details, and dont send the order until you are satisfied that you are getting the deal that you are comfortable with. With availability what it is right now, it is kinda difficult to be very picky about what you pay for some ammo.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis

Thanks all!

Depends on how you define cheaper? Last couple of purchases I made were online. Cost wise they were about the same as what LGS seemed to be charging (based on pricing comments here) -- but I simply did not have the TIME to go to a shop. I could order late at night and have it delivered to me. What do you value your time at?

I have not been asked to verify my age. Others have commented on their experiences.

Shipping can be done overnight. You will pay for that though!

Cheapest site? Again, depends on how you look at things. Straight costs -- depends on the day and deal. Time to hunt/peck/compare getting calculated in and things change.

Lots of threads in these forums. Lots of bots that will help with your searches for ammo.

HTH

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom