• ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    WARNiNG: Longwinded

So a week or so ago my LGS has Winchester 333 .22lr for 21.95. That works in today's market. Anyway I go to shoot some today and at least 4 of 10 fail to fire OR failed to cycle the gun. Stovepipes, etc. I was using my S&W 21A. It has been a great low cost gun and has worked wiheverything with the exception of Thunderbolt! It even cycle some Armscor I got a few months back. That is until today and the Winchester. I tried my friend's federal 550 pack ammo and no problems. Back tot he Winchester and same stuff.

So did they send out a 1/2 charged batch to offset their double charged batch?

Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Winchester should be totally ashamed of themselves for the crap they put out these days. I've had your same experience with their 380 and 9mm rounds. Plus it's the most filthy ammo on the planet. It's like shooting and cleaning up coal soot. Put their junk through a chrono and be prepared to be amazed.
    Flame away.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Winchester should be totally ashamed of themselves for the crap they put out these days. I've had your same experience with their 380 and 9mm rounds. Plus it's the most filthy ammo on the planet. It's like shooting and cleaning up coal soot. Put their junk through a chrono and be prepared to be amazed.
    Flame away.

Agreed. I would put my money on its just junk 22 ammo. Who knows though, could be undercharged with their recent quality record. I designate those bulk bags to my 22 bolt guns.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Have a lot number? I have a new box I can run some out of if it's the same lot to see if it gives me troubles.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I've run about 4 bulk boxes of Winchester 555 (same ammo as 333) here lately and no troubles at all. It actually was exceptional so It may just be a errant lot of ammo they produced that was bad. Bright side is at least their light charged and not doubled. Still stinks though....

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Winchester should be totally ashamed of themselves for the crap they put out these days.

Remington has been putting out crap 22 for decades and they're not one bit ashamed.

Winchester just has had a bad run lately. It happens. I've always had good luck with Winchester personally

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Can you maybe post a lot number? I have 10 boxes of it maybe i have something from the same lot and i could try in it our .22's to see if we have the same problem.

Also not saying you haven't but detail clean the gun. All .22's get extremely dirty especially repeaters. Sometimes you get enough around the throat of the barrel that it will cause all kinds of funky problems including feeding. For us we have a glenfield 60 that is being a dirty you know what and won't cycle and the bolt catches when engaging so it causes light primer strikes and no boom. Currently taking that one completely apart to detail clean it and try again. (the gun hasn't fired for 10+years and we found it cheap)

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Have a lot number? I have a new box I can run some out of if it's the same lot to see if it gives me troubles.

Sure. Here are 3 sets of numbers stamped on the box:

RCLR94Y
    E129734
    K7526

Can you maybe post a lot number? I have 10 boxes of it maybe i have something from the same lot and i could try in it our .22's to see if we have the same problem.

Also not saying you haven't but detail clean the gun. All .22's get extremely dirty especially repeaters. Sometimes you get enough around the throat of the barrel that it will cause all kinds of funky problems including feeding. For us we have a glenfield 60 that is being a dirty you know what and won't cycle and the bolt catches when engaging so it causes light primer strikes and no boom. Currently taking that one completely apart to detail clean it and try again. (the gun hasn't fired for 10+years and we found it cheap)

Lot numbers above. Yeah, gun is dirty. About 2000 rounds and a year or so since the last true cleaning. Usually bore snake and wipe the chanber with Hoppe's. So it's time for a cleaning for sure. BUT I have never had anything close to this failure rate with anything including past Winchester 333. I struggled to shoot 60 rounds of it. It shot the Federal just fine. Last week was some Federal Automatch bulk, Minimags and Velocetors. Again no problem. Maybe I will clean my gun.

So please let me know of you have a simlar issue or if you have the same batch and no problems.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Another thing to consider is how cold it is. If its a little dirty and the gun is not lubed much, or even if the lube is thicker due to extreme cold that may be a factor.

A couple weeks ago when we were hovering around zero degrees I fired a couple mags from a 22 that usually runs real well, even with some mini mags it wasnt cycling well at all. I haven't confirmed on a chrono but I would guess the winchesters are a little slower velocity then the other ammo you mentioned above. Sometimes little differences make a big difference...

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    So I asked my LGS if they had any other bad feedback on the 333's. He said no. I will have to do a side by side with another brand.

Nothing on the lot numbers above in post 12?

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I had one box that was that lot number. Ran 15 rounds though my winchester and all was good. Ran 10 through a marlin 795 and ruger 10\22 everything was fine. And ran 5 or so in my bolt action marlin and all good. It could just be the gun doesnt like them. Or maybe i got lucky. 22 quality has always been iffy in bulk packs. I had a box of federal that would stovepipe on me everyfew rounds. But they shot great.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I had one box that was that lot number. Ran 15 rounds though my winchester and all was good. Ran 10 through a marlin 795 and ruger 10\22 everything was fine. And ran 5 or so in my bolt action marlin and all good. It could just be the gun doesnt like them. Or maybe i got lucky. 22 quality has always been iffy in bulk packs. I had a box of federal that would stovepipe on me everyfew rounds. But they shot great.

Thanks for the feedback. I will try again this weekend. LGS is getting remmington in Friday. I will do a side by side.
    Did you happen to run any through a semi-auto pistol?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom