• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Thought I would work a few of these up. Have 3 boxes of Speer shot shell caps on the way. Plan on using #7 shot and reloading data from the Speer manual. Most likely use Unique or Bullseye since I have more of those on hand.

Has anyone loaded these that would like share suggestions/experiences/ different load data? ........

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I loaded a bunch years ago for snake loads and have most of them left. Never have shot a snake. I reloaded shotshells for skeetshooting at the time so I had #9 shot to use. That gave me better pattern density. They're pretty useless beyond 12 feet or so. Good for a snake or a rat, not much else. They were fun to play with and I wish you success. I looked back at your location. They would work on copperheads but don't let anybody see you shoot a timber rattler. A shovel would probably be a better tool.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I loaded a bunch years ago for snake loads and have most of them left. Never have shot a snake. I reloaded shotshells for skeetshooting at the time so I had #9 shot to use. That gave me better pattern density. They're pretty useless beyond 12 feet or so. Good for a snake or a rat, not much else. They were fun to play with and I wish you success. I looked back at your location. They would work on copperheads but don't let anybody see you shoot a timber rattler. A shovel would probably be a better tool.

Yeah that is kinda what I've read, but I'm going to load some special anyway and thought I would try something different. If for noting else, figured I could use them as starling repellent and I have dealt with a couple of copperheads on the property. I may try some #9 also. Thanks for the reply.....

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana

Considered an "Endangered Species" in Indiana and some have transmitters

Purdue University The much-maligned and endangered timber rattlesnake may have a future in Indiana, thanks to a project to track the snakes. Researchers are supporting the biological diversity of wildlife in Indiana by helping to stop the disappearance of the snake from the state. The snake can live to be 20 years old but is endangered largely because of habitat loss and human persecution.

I will be loading my 38 spl with pellets that will automatically avoid hitting timber rattlers, just in case of mistaken identity...:rolleyes:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I loaded/shot these years ago, also in .44Spl/Mag.

These are GREAT fun in a 'Rat Barn' / Corn Crib at night with a good Mag Light!!

I believe?? that I loaded these with #8 shot using the powder charge listed on the box.

The only problems that I had was with the crimp..HAS to be 'Just Right'

Too little of crimp, you will get 'Bullet Jump'.
    Too heavy of crimp, you will crack the shot capsule.

When you get the crimp just right they are a BLAST to shoot -(Although the Rats don't like them)..Expect to have the "Burning Smell" of the plastic when shooting + extra cleaning of plastic from the barrel...Bill.

Last edited:

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I loaded/shot these years ago, also in .44Spl/Mag.

These are GREAT fun in a 'Rat Barn' / Corn Crib at night with a good Mag Light!!

I believe?? that I loaded these with #8 shot using the powder charge listed on the box.

The only problems that I had was with the crimp..HAS to be 'Just Right'

Too little of crimp, you will get 'Bullet Jump'.
    Too heavy of crimp, you will crack the shot capsule.

When you get the crimp just right they are a BLAST to shoot -(Although the Rats don't like them)..Expect to have the "Burning Smell" of the plastic when shooting + extra cleaning of plastic from the barrel...Bill.

Thanks.. I figured the crimp would be the x factor. That's what makes something new interesting though. I have not even handled these caps before, so do not know how delicate or sturdy they are. I'll try #8 also. I can see where there might be some extra cleaning, so I will...I load .44 also, so if I like these I may try a few of them... If I can find the caps, have not looked yet. Thanks for the info. Hope the caps are here today, Midway said they shipped Friday....But with Presidents Day...:dunno:

gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    have done this with gas checks.... one above powder one in mouth of the case crimped over the shot

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    have done this with gas checks.... one above powder one in mouth of the case crimped over the shot

Ive done that too, in .38's and .45 Colt's. I've also put a gas check low, filled almost to the top with small shot and then crimped a lead roundball on top. That gives you a small pattern if you don't have time to aim, but if you have a couple seconds, you can take better aim and hopefully pop the nasty with the roundball.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks all for the input!! Finally received the Speer shot shell capsules yesterday from Midway (slow delivery, which is unusual) Currently loading 38 spl with 145 gr DEWC that were given to me. (about 250). Something for the grand yung'ins (and me) to punch holes with. When I finish working them up, I will start the shot shell and then share results:) gutpile, slow hand..thanks, I would like to try that also..would not have thought of even checking that out...sounds interesting:D

Top Bottom