• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phillm47

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I read through the sticky thread So you want to reload but don't know where to begin (??) . Very informative thread. Seem like there is a lot of love for the Lee Classic Turret Press kit from Kempfs.

My question is, what are your thoughts on this kit, Hornady L-N-L Classic Auto Charge Deluxe Kit Reloading Kit as a starting point? I know its a single stage press, but the automatic/trickling power scale looks attractive, plus the kit is on sale at $100 off, plus free bullets.

FWIW, I would mainly be reloading 9mm, and some .223. THere is a good possibly .45 ACP down the road, but this could be a year from now.

So, what do you think of this one?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    looks like a great kit, When you get it I would start with 9mm and get your feet wet there,

I would also suggest a bulky powder for reloading, the more if fills the case the more alarm bells go off when you see a case full and in the 223 something like Varget fills the case almost completely and really diminishes the chances of a huge overload

good reloading, Send the Girlfriend, wife, kids, Dogs, Cats somewhere else put on some easy listening music like Nickleback or Saving Abel and just work through the process

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    While there is certainly nothing wrong with any of the components there, I would not recommend it. Digital scales and dispensers are, well, digital. You ever had an issue with an electronic device? I have. I sure dont care for that issue being able to cause me bodily harm though. I'm not saying to not use electronic dispensers and what not, but you really should have a beam scale as a backup and to verify against. Besides that a good powder dispenser, beam scale and LEE dipper set is faster (for me anyway) than the electronic unit I have.

For 223 for example, I will dispense say 24.5gr of WIN748 for a 25.0gr load. I will then trickle the remaining .5gr into the pan right on the scale. Many ways to skin a cat though.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Looks like a great setup to me. It's something you can add onto later. I've got a Rockchucker, a Lyman turret press, and a Dillon Square Deal. I'm not partial to Lee stuff although a lot of people get good service from them. If finances were in better shape a Hornady AP press would join the others.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I read through the sticky thread So you want to reload but don't know where to begin (??) . Very informative thread. Seem like there is a lot of love for the Lee Classic Turret Press kit from Kempfs.

My question is, what are your thoughts on this kit, Hornady L-N-L Classic Auto Charge Deluxe Kit Reloading Kit as a starting point? I know its a single stage press, but the automatic/trickling power scale looks attractive, plus the kit is on sale at $100 off, plus free bullets.

FWIW, I would mainly be reloading 9mm, and some .223. THere is a good possibly .45 ACP down the road, but this could be a year from now.

So, what do you think of this one?

I have the same except for the powder measure. Mine is RCBS, plus it is wise to get a beam scale for a second opinion . Electronics can be tricky if you have a florescent light nearby. Just read and follow the instructions with it fully.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you're going to load 9, 223 and 45, I'm guessing most of your guns are semi-auto. Given the amount of ammo you're likely to want to reload, the LCT is the way to go. Learn with it set up as a single-stage and when you're comfortable with each operation, put the indexing rod back in and triple how fast you turn out each round. :twocents:

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    The Hornady deluxe kit with their rotary powder measure thats stand mounted with the pistol/rifle inserts are as good as it comes. Add a quality beam scale and your loading for the rest of your days. You need a good beam scale on your bench for as long as you plan on loading, an electronic scale can and will likely give you problems at some point and not having a 100% functional scale isn't even an option.

One of those things it pays to ask questions on up front, no amount of technology can take the place of simplicity and function. Even if you wind up with a progressive you will always have use for those tools on your bench.

xM3RC1L3SS1x

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Southeast of Indy
    looks like a great kit, When you get it I would start with 9mm and get your feet wet there,

I would also suggest a bulky powder for reloading, the more if fills the case the more alarm bells go off when you see a case full and in the 223 something like Varget fills the case almost completely and really diminishes the chances of a huge overload

good reloading, Send the Girlfriend, wife, kids, Dogs, Cats somewhere else put on some easy listening music like Nickleback or Saving Abel and just work through the process

Definitely a big +1

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Sngle stages are nice and good to have. I still use mine, but I ended up buying the Lee Turret press within a month of reloading. I use the single stage to decap/resize, the I trim and clean primer pockets. Thrn I hit the turret and knock some rounds out. I have a digital scale w/ no problems. Just dont woek under flourescent lights while using them. Plus with digital, you have to let it "warm" up.

Top Bottom