• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    So tell me if I'm crazy or sane in doing this. I've done many tests with many different rounds on watermelons over this past year on 55g 193's of all brands, different SP's from 50-64G, and a few HP's. I've found that the SP's (especially the AE 50G 223) is by far the most "explosive" when shooting a melon from various distances. As far as HD goes, I've chosen this round to be loaded in the AR, with 2 extra full mags in a vest, with 3 mags of m855 loaded, in the best as well (but not preferred to shoot in the house, they're for if the fight continues outside, with obstructions in the way).
    Does anyone else like the light grain SP's for a HD round? I like the fact that they explode within 2-3" inside ballistics gel, instead of traveling though any and everything in its way. I live in a pretty close housed community and hate the idea of collateral damage. Also noted, the area I live in is known for car jackings and occasional home break in's, so don't call an AR with ton's a Rds overkill hah (even though we all have our opinions, I feel more safe with this than I do with my remi 870 actually.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    i think using .223 or 5.56 for HD is a little dumb...that round is not stopping in what you shoot. Just that simple...its going to keep going especially if its green tip stuff.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not sure, but i've seen multiple deer killed with 55 gr. Vmaxes, no exits. Most dropped in their tracks. Not my ideal choice for game that large, but it did the job for a couple kids in Kentucky's youth season. The bullets completely disintegrated inside the body cavity and vitals were jelly.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    i think using .223 or 5.56 for HD is a little dumb...that round is not stopping in what you shoot. Just that simple...its going to keep going especially if its green tip stuff.

Really ... I would agree if we were talking primarily about FMJ or green-tip loads, but I think the actual problem with the soft points is likely to be inadequate penetration. For reference, Olympic Arms sites testing showing Federal 223 Rem 55gr JHP only achieving 9.5" of penetration in bare gelatin at 4yds. Since many folks look for a minimum of 12" penetration, I actually suspect the soft points might be inadequate for his purposes (although they would likely create quite a mess.)

In actual testing, the "barrier-blind" 62gr Federal Fusion penetrated only 12"-13.5" at 100yds (American Hunter - The Myth: The .223 is too Light for Deer and Federal Premium Ammunition - Fusion) and most of the suggested bullets were under 17" at 3yds.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

Title of my threat... SP for HD lol. Soft points typically don't pass through when traveling at the velocities of a standard .223. They completely fragment and explode within inches and create one hell of an internal stretch cavity.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Really ... I would agree if we were talking primarily about FMJ or green-tip loads, but I think the actual problem with the soft points is likely to be inadequate penetration. For reference, Olympic Arms sites testing showing Federal 223 Rem 55gr JHP only achieving 9.5" of penetration in bare gelatin at 4yds. Since many folks look for a minimum of 12" penetration, I actually suspect the soft points might be inadequate for his purposes (although they would likely create quite a mess.)

In actual testing, the "barrier-blind" 62gr Federal Fusion penetrated only 12"-13.5" at 100yds (American Hunter - The Myth: The .223 is too Light for Deer and Federal Premium Ammunition - Fusion) and most of the suggested bullets were under 17" at 3yds.

I know the FBI standard is 12"... but whose organs are actually that far past the skin?

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I know the FBI standard is 12"... but whose organs are actually that far past the skin?

I doubt many people would require 12" from the front, but I also suspect the compliance rate in asking assailants to "stand directly forward with their hands to the side" would be almost zero.

There is a decent explanation of the logic behind the 12-18" penetration standard in the background discussion section here as well as links to more information on the subject.

I am not saying a given SP round wouldn't work extremely well, just that I suspect under-penetration could be an issue with a number of SP loads (depending on the actual bullet path required, obviously.)

scottm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Hobart
    I run 5 rounds of 45gr Varmint ammo then 23 55gr 193's in my ready magazine, At in home distances they'll still thwart the threat and if they don't the 193's behind them will drive the point home. As for the 62's I have them for SHTF but find no use at home defense distances, if the fight continues outside I'm extremely sure the cops would already be there from the amount of gunfire and my retired neighbors immediately calling 911.

Top Bottom