• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    When I reloaded 30C I stayed away from the lead after my experiments with Lead bullets in my 222 rem, I think a jacketed or plated bullet would be the best way to go.

I had some very poor accuracy (VERY PoOOR) the gas checked bullets at reduced Vel just soured me.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The potential for leading of the gas port with a high-pressure round that is right at the upper edge of suitable velocity for cast bullets has caused me to stick with jacketed bullets in 30 Carbine.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    The potential for leading of the gas port with a high-pressure round that is right at the upper edge of suitable velocity for cast bullets has caused me to stick with jacketed bullets in 30 Carbine.
    That's really the overriding consideration when loading for a gas operated M1 Carbine. There are other firearms, like a Ruger Blackhawk chambered for .30 carbine better suited to lead.

Those bullets Midway has look fine for most applications otherwise, I'd sure give them a try for the price.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lee makes a mold for that, I use those bullets in .30 cal Mauser and 30 cal carbine Automag 2. Looking to try it in 32 ACP.:)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

Nailed it.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Don't shoot lead in the 30 carbine...revolver or carbine...the lead will form a ring in the headspacing ridge of the chamber. In the revolver, this will make impossible to get a round to fully seat. In the carbine, this cause the bolt to not fully engage and it could be dangerous if the gun fires. I'm not guessing about this ,I've actually hapenned to my carbine and when it fired the extractor was broken off and became a projectile in the wrong direction. I'm very leary about plain lead in an auto loader no matter how hard it is cast. I only use it in my 1911 and remove and clean that barrel thoroughly...

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Don't shoot lead in the 30 carbine...revolver or carbine...the lead will form a ring in the headspacing ridge of the chamber. In the revolver, this will make impossible to get a round to fully seat. In the carbine, this cause the bolt to not fully engage and it could be dangerous if the gun fires. I'm not guessing about this ,I've actually hapenned to my carbine and when it fired the extractor was broken off and became a projectile in the wrong direction. I'm very leary about plain lead in an auto loader no matter how hard it is cast. I only use it in my 1911 and remove and clean that barrel thoroughly...

It does head space on the case mouth, so good point about leading issues in that area. I trim .30 carbine every single time I fire it for that reason.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It does head space on the case mouth, so good point about leading issues in that area. I trim .30 carbine every single time I fire it for that reason.

I have found that if you lubricate the inside of the case mouth when resizing that trimming is not necessary every time. You still have to check case length every time, but only have to trim about every third time you resize.

Top Bottom