• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I was at the gun shop the other day and a guy came in and was telling 2 or 3 of us that the ammo made starting this year will only have a life span of 5 years, so people can't stock pile ammo.... I ask the gun owner after he left if it was true and he said that his ammo rep. hasn't been in and he hadn't recieved a notice about it, but he will ask his ammo rep. ... I don't even see how this would be possible but ???? Has enybody else heard this ?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It's BS and has been a rumor for years spread by people who want to have something, anything, to flap their gums about.

To address your other question, yes it IS actually possible to make a propellant or primer that degrades over time but without an exemption from liability from the feds which would take an act of Congress, no ammo manufacturer is going to touch it because they have no control over how ammunition is stored or used and as such there is a wide variability in how long it takes for the it to degrade, and all you need are a few times of bullets getting lodged in a barrel because the charge was too weak and the gun then blowing up before the industry would collapse.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Last fall I enjoyed shooting a 40yr old box of 20ga shells that were found in my grandmas house before we sold it. They shot just fine in my dads 45yr old shotgun.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It's BS and has been a rumor for years spread by people who want to have something, anything, to flap their gums about.

To address your other question, yes it IS actually possible to make a propellant or primer that degrades over time but without an exemption from liability from the feds which would take an act of Congress, no ammo manufacturer is going to touch it because they have no control over how ammunition is stored or used and as such there is a wide variability in how long it takes for the it to degrade, and all you need are a few times of bullets getting lodged in a barrel because the charge was too weak and the gun then blowing up before the industry would collapse.

I think you figured it out. With the current regime in power, what better way to infringe on the second amendment than to have the ammo industry and firearm industry collapse due to lawsuits.

Granted I seriously doubt any ammo manufacturer would chance a "use by" date, but wouldn't put it past our fearful leaders as a way to doom the industry.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I was at the gun shop the other day and a guy came in and was telling 2 or 3 of us that the ammo made starting this year will only have a life span of 5 years, so people can't stock pile ammo.... I ask the gun owner after he left if it was true and he said that his ammo rep. hasn't been in and he hadn't recieved a notice about it, but he will ask his ammo rep. ... I don't even see how this would be possible but ???? Has enybody else heard this ?

yeah, its true. And I am the official person who was designated in the Indianapolis area to dispose of this ammo. So, all you have to do is to drop it in my recycling bend outside of my house and I'll properly dispose of it. Now having said that, 22lr has a life expectancy of 6 months, so you'll need to get that ammo over to me before it self detonates.

:): :ar15::ar15::ar15:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I thought he was full of it , but hell who am I ........ You never know whats coming next with this bunch in office and what they will try before there term is up ....

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I had about a dozen old paper 12 ga shells and I ran them through my Browning A5 last week. Still powered the gun functions fine.
    I used to take my pocket knife and "ring" the shot shells and use them for a make shift "deer slug". Never a problem doing it.

Top Bottom