• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    If you are an avid 5.45x39 shooter, like myself, or an a firearms activist, please watch his video. This is real. Confirmed by Tim at MAC and Yeager.
    [video=youtube;v2ntsgd55k0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ntsgd55k0[/video]

I confirmed the video by checking out ammoseek and gunbot. All the milsurp is gone! Overnight!

Now my question regarding the overnight wipe out of the spam cans would be.... Did everyone actually catch the news this quick and actually buy up all the 7n6? Or... is ATF actually regulating the interstate sale of 7n6? Either way this is EFFED!

I won't get into the argument too much, as the video explains facts, rises questions, and follows up with more to come. I don't know enough about it yet, but I plan to research the heck out of this.

Link to Ammoseek: http://ammoseek.com/ammo/5.45x39mm

Last edited:

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    News spread......FAST! I let a friend of mine know of the up and coming sanctions on Russia, and he promptly went and bought a case of the stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if none of the ammo was being imported currently. Who knows though? Rumors spread like wildfire. Apparently we aren't importing x54r and Mosins anymore either :dunno:

I suspect it all sanction related, not due to the ATF stuff the video talked about

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    News spread......FAST! I let a friend of mine know of the up and coming sanctions on Russia, and he promptly went and bought a case of the stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if none of the ammo was being imported currently. Who knows though? Rumors spread like wildfire. Apparently we aren't importing x54r and Mosins anymore either :dunno:

I suspect it all sanction related, not due to the ATF stuff the video talked about

Yeah, i've heard all about that as well. We'll see how everything turns out!

I'm strongly wondering if the underlying cause of this is actually the "5.45 AK pistols using the AP round" or if it really has to do with whats going on on the Western European front. Now I know the 54r is mainly imported from Romania and the Ukraine, from the storage facilities and abandoned storage salt mines, where the russians stored it, but I'm not sure where 5.45 comes from.. I'm assuming Russia itself. Seeing as the 7N6 is a Russian round, I would suspect that it does infact come from Russia, maybe Bulgaria also, I'm not sure, maybe some could incite me?

I don't know what Russia currently uses 5.45 wise, but I doubt they use the corrosive 7n6 round of the 70's. Either way, I'm keeping all 12 cans my 5.45 7n6. It'll be worth its weight in gold if this halt sticks.

Sucks though, because it'll just drive the prices of modern steel 5.45 up like a mofo, as well as the price of AK47 and 7.62x39, as I'm sure everyone who loves the AK platform will resort to the cheaper 7.62x39, which will drive up demand and inturn increase prices. Thats just an assumption, but history has proven itself...

I'm very glad I didn't buy the 5.45 AR upper I planned on buying though! haha

It really sucks how our favorite hobby is so politically altered day to day.

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    The Bang Switch Was In The Loop Earlier In The Week: Import Ban on 7N6 5.45×39 | The Bang Switch. I Was Able To Stock Up A Bit More.Hornady Already Offers A Variant, But Has A Steele Case. I Did Recently Have A Conversation With Another Ingo'er About Converting The 22 Swift Brass Over To the 5.45X39, Don't Quote Me I Haven't Researched This. I Sure Other Ingo'ers Will Be Much More Knowledgeable Than I. The Cost Of The Round Is What Made It Appealing To Me, Not Any More.

Wasn't There A Similar Occurrence In The Early 80'S WitH The 762?

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    The Bang Switch Was In The Loop Earlier In The Week: Import Ban on 7N6 5.45×39 | The Bang Switch. I Was Able To Stock Up A Bit More.Hornady Already Offers A Variant, But Has A Steele Case. I Did Recently Have A Conversation With Another Ingo'er About Converting The 22 Swift Brass Over To the 5.45X39, Don't Quote Me I Haven't Researched This. I Sure Other Ingo'ers Will Be Much More Knowledgeable Than I. The Cost Of The Round Is What Made It Appealing To Me, Not Any More.

Wasn't There A Similar Occurrence In The Early 80'S WitH The 762?

Believe the similar occurrence was in '94. The new production of a 7.62 pistol upper was introduced, therefore, in order to keep policy, ATF halted importation of the AP 7.62x39 surplus rd. I'm not sure if thats been lifted since though. I still need to do more research.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Either way though.... when was the last time you've heard anyone using a pistol "assault rifle" in a violent act? I'm sure there are tons of people who make pistol AR's who shoot M855, technically, isn't that an AP round?

I'm sure there are equally as many people that have ak74 pistols.

I think its ridiculous that because a few select companies offer a 5.45 "pistol" that ATF has now halted importation of a highly sought after round. 5.45 pistols have been out for at least 4-5 years... there has to be another underlying reason.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    You shoot any protective armor with a 2800fps projectile enough times, AP or not... it will eventually make it through. They're going after something that I've not found any proof of being used in any violent act or even threat for that matter. I get their concern, but Jesus! Comeon!

Last edited:

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, i've heard all about that as well. We'll see how everything turns out!

I'm strongly wondering if the underlying cause of this is actually the "5.45 AK pistols using the AP round" or if it really has to do with whats going on on the Western European front. Now I know the 54r is mainly imported from Romania and the Ukraine, from the storage facilities and abandoned storage salt mines, where the russians stored it, but I'm not sure where 5.45 comes from.. I'm assuming Russia itself. Seeing as the 7N6 is a Russian round, I would suspect that it does infact come from Russia, maybe Bulgaria also, I'm not sure, maybe some could incite me?

I don't know what Russia currently uses 5.45 wise, but I doubt they use the corrosive 7n6 round of the 70's. Either way, I'm keeping all 12 cans my 5.45 7n6. It'll be worth its weight in gold if this halt sticks.

Sucks though, because it'll just drive the prices of modern steel 5.45 up like a mofo, as well as the price of AK47 and 7.62x39, as I'm sure everyone who loves the AK platform will resort to the cheaper 7.62x39, which will drive up demand and inturn increase prices. Thats just an assumption, but history has proven itself...

I'm very glad I didn't buy the 5.45 AR upper I planned on buying though! haha

It really sucks how our favorite hobby is so politically altered day to day.
    Unfortunately, the 5.45 is a PURE Russian round. Most of the old Soviet states still stick with the x39. As a matter of fact, many Russian units are still armed with the x39. The Russian army is weird that way. Their MG's use the x54r, and their combat rifles are still a mix of 74's and AKMs.

sbz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    indiana
    I saw this on Friday, four days after I bought my 74. I bought one crate from USAC for 369 shipped. Wish I would of grabbed more, sucks. I am going to order some Wolf ammo to have something to shoot. What would you guys recommend out of these? Wolf Polyformance 69gr FMJ, Wolf Military 55gr SP, or Wolf Polyformance 55gr HP? They are all the same price, guess I could try them all, but does anyone have any experience with any of them?

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I saw this on Friday, four days after I bought my 74. I bought one crate from USAC for 369 shipped. Wish I would of grabbed more, sucks. I am going to order some Wolf ammo to have something to shoot. What would you guys recommend out of these? Wolf Polyformance 69gr FMJ, Wolf Military 55gr SP, or Wolf Polyformance 55gr HP? They are all the same price, guess I could try them all, but does anyone have any experience with any of them?

I actually prefer the red army standard when it comes to modern production 5.45. An Ak74/AK47/M4 is a duty combat rifle meant to engage man size targets up to a maximum of 600m. You will never achieve absolutely incredible groupings out of an AK, unless you have someone do some serious work on one and have a custom barrel, even so, the way an AK acts when shot (sloppy like this hearty cheesburger soup i'm eating... delish, btw) will never match up to an m4 or m16.

Honestly, 5.45 wise, anything will do what you want. It has flatter trajectory than a 7.62 and is more accurate, but you still just can't compare it to an AR. Will it get the job done? Yes! With authority lol.

I don't classify an AK as an "accurate gun." They will most def shoot MOA, but not well enough for me to call it accurate like bull barrel AR. Accuracy = 7.62x39 < 5.45x39 < 5.56.

Basically, in short.... don't worry what you run through it lol. The cheaper the better haha. <Guess I coulda just said that!

sbz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    indiana
    I actually prefer the red army standard when it comes to modern production 5.45. An Ak74/AK47/M4 is a duty combat rifle meant to engage man size targets up to a maximum of 600m. You will never achieve absolutely incredible groupings out of an AK, unless you have someone do some serious work on one and have a custom barrel, even so, the way an AK acts when shot (sloppy like this hearty cheesburger soup i'm eating... delish, btw) will never match up to an m4 or m16.

Honestly, 5.45 wise, anything will do what you want. It has flatter trajectory than a 7.62 and is more accurate, but you still just can't compare it to an AR. Will it get the job done? Yes! With authority lol.

I don't classify an AK as an "accurate gun." They will most def shoot MOA, but not well enough for me to call it accurate like bull barrel AR. Accuracy = 7.62x39 < 5.45x39 < 5.56.

Basically, in short.... don't worry what you run through it lol. The cheaper the better haha. <Guess I coulda just said that!

haha, sounds good. Im going to try both the 55gr and 69gr since they are the same price.

Last edited:

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    So... if you had an AR in 5.45 capable of MOA accuracy, what newly manufactured ammo would you suggest?
    lol douch canoe!

I'd do red army bro. The projectile is actually a boat tail round and its still cheap. You'll pick the ingrown pubes off a billy goat at 100yrds with that stuff.

Btw... its almost warm enough for me to make a trip up there to good ol boone poon, to shoot some stuff with ya. I'll bring the beer, you supply the melons?

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SBZ heres a vid for ya.

[video=youtube;qH_D6aUscWs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH_D6aUscWs[/video]

Honestly, the ballistics are pretty similar to the 7n6. Its just due to the abnormally long, skinny nature of the bullet. When he talks about the heavier 62g keyholing, that would be do to a a slower twist rate 1:9... which not many 5.45 barrels are. Most are 1:8. But if your barrel is 1:9, the 55g would better suit you.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    lol douch canoe!

I'd do red army bro. The projectile is actually a boat tail round and its still cheap. You'll pick the ingrown pubes off a billy goat at 100yrds with that stuff.

Btw... its almost warm enough for me to make a trip up there to good ol boone poon, to shoot some stuff with ya. I'll bring the beer, you supply the melons?

Yeah I'll have to find another range though. Used to shoot in Darlington but all the uneducated would show up and act like tards and ruin it for everybody else. Just didn't feel like a safe environment.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Yeah I'll have to find another range though. Used to shoot in Darlington but all the uneducated would show up and act like tards and ruin it for everybody else. Just didn't feel like a safe environment.

Yeah, I known what you mean. I was at a range in KY once and every bubba and his brother were acting scary as hell.

Top Bottom