• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cgbaseball0707

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    I've shot .44 mag for awhile and have always tossed around the idea of reloading instead on buying new rounds EVERY time. The problem is I have never had any experience with reloading and was wondering where you all started learning. Obviously, it is a steep learning curve and probably don't want to make many mistakes! I have watched the usual videos and have a few books and manuals, but that is much different than actually doing it! Thanks!

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    I started by reading. Manuals are definitely the best source of info. There is some nomenclature to learn. Once that part is understood the learning becomes easy, as you can begin to understand what they're talking about.
    Pistol rounds are easy. Buy the obvious items and go for it.
    Reloading doesn't get difficult until you try to perfect the long range accuracy of a rifle.
    Patience and an eye for detail are all that is required.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Get at least two manuals and read the first half, before the load data. Lyman is a good one (lots of cast bullet info). If you have a favorite bullet maker, get their manual too. Also, The ABC's of Reloading is a good book. If you have a friend or shooting acquaintance that reloads, ask them to show you and let you try some loading.

You will get the most out of your 44 mag by reloading. I think it it the most versatile handgun cartridge. There are bullet weights from 165 to over 300 grains. Not everything has to me loaded hot, either. You can make some light and mid range loads with cast bullets that are accurate, but don't punish you. When needed, you can have some heavy duty, powerful loads.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    As others said go take the reloading class at Profire. After you take the class go talk to Zack that works at Profire. He carries 44mag revolver daily. He can help you out with working up some loads also. I picked his brain last week.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Books, a buddy, or a structured class like the one Andrew runs at Profire...all of these are perfectly suitable.

You stated that there is a "steep learning curve" for reloading. I don't think that is necessarily true. Reloading boils down to four fairly straight-forward steps, really.

1) Resize and deprime the case
    2) Seat the appropriate new primer
    3) Charge with an appropriate amount of suitable powder
    4) Seat an appropriate bullet to the indicated length

There's more to it than that, but it's not like learning how to build an internal combustion engine, or something. It's just that there IS a certain element of danger to it, if you don't KNOW what you're doing.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Read, watch you tube videos, talk to reloaders...
    Not sure I would suggest starting out with a 44 mag as my first load.
    9mm, 38spl, or 45acp are usually better choices for calibers to start with.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Read, watch you tube videos, talk to reloaders...
    Not sure I would suggest starting out with a 44 mag as my first load.
    9mm, 38spl, or 45acp are usually better choices for calibers to start with.

The man makes a point, not that there is anything inherently difficult with the .44 Mag. Since the .44 Mag is a pretty high pressure, stressful round already, any overcharge condition will immediately put you in hazardous territory. .44 spl, shot in the .44 Mag handgun will have lots of margin for error, and is pretty pleasant to use for target shooting. A .44spl die set also loads .44 Magnum, so there is no complexity there.

From an economic point of view, the .44 mag is a great candidate for reloading. The price savings, even when using top grade components will save enough money to pay off basic reloading equipment in a hurry.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I cut my teeth learning to do technical things from a manual. That's not everyone's cup of tea. That being said, the advice to get a good reloading manual and reading the first part regarding how to reload is important. Re-read it enough, until you understand the basic terms and operation. Luckily for straight-walled pistol cases, you don't have to worry about trimming brass, etc. that you need to know for reloading bottle-necked rifle cartridges. These days, the single-stage reloading kits from the major manufacturers, like RCBS, Hornady, Lyman and Lee come with good instructions. There are a plethora of YouTube videos to help as well. If classes are your thing, then take some. I found that having a buddy who reloads was a big plus. Learning reloading isn't that hard, but one needs patience, attention to detail and take things one step at a time. As you get a bench, bolt-down your press and start adjusting your dies, things will start to fall into place. You can always ask basic questions here.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The only thing I would like to add to the reloading education, is to not get in a hurry. I see way to many reloaders get excited about seeing how fast they can reload. Some of them demonstrate on you tube. Even with my progressive presses, I seldom load much faster that 1/2 of the advertised speed. My focus is about making good ammo. Good inspection, good components, good proceedures, and paying attention makes good ammo. When I see people bragging about how fast they can make ammo, I get leary about even shooting near them. Many times as you spend time around them, they have way more ammo problems than anyone else. I also recommend saving the beers or scotch on the rocks until after the reloading is over.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The problem is I have never had any experience with reloading and was wondering where you all started learning.

I am also a new reloader. I don't know if I did it like most people, but I pretty much jumped in with both feet. About a month ago I bought a Dillon 1050 as my first press, and 5K rounds worth of 9mm components (except powder... I have much less of that. :( ). I watched the Dillon video, watched a few YouTube videos, and piddled around for about 400 rounds getting a feel for the press, testing the effect of changes in powder charge, O.A.L, primer seat depth etc. I also took the press apart and cleaned it. It was the result of a stoppage, but it helped me understand the workings of the press.

I recommend documenting everything thoroughly for analysis. A couple good manuals, a good set of calipers, and a scale are essential. I found a chronograph to be very helpful. The first several runs were very small batches mainly to see the effect of different changes and really understand the process. For each small batch I measured almost everything and maintained the information in a spreadsheet. I could chart changes in velocity due to changes in load parameters and observe consistency of the press in terms of range and standard deviation of measurements. I did some comparison with factory loads and commerically remanufactured ammo as well.

I picked a set of parameters that perform as I needed and ran my first 1000 "production" rounds just last night. I implemented a periodic QC program to ensure I was on track with target specs throughout the large batch.

I hear often that it isn't recommended to start with a progressive, or to start with a complex progressive like a 1050. I don't see it as too much of an issue. There is a significant amount of info out there on the internet, manuals, videos, etc. If you can give it some study and observe what the press is doing to understand how it works, and start slow, there's no reason not to get what you want out of the gate. That's my opinion.

As a side note, I chose the 1050 because I intend to load a high volume of just one cartridge. As I understand it, there may be more economical press options if frequent caliber changes or lower volumes of ammunition are the goal. Either way, do plenty of research on the costs and benefits of the various presses (I had a spreadsheet for that, too) and get the one that does what you want to do at the rate you need to load. The rest you can work out with study and careful documentation of your efforts.

It may also be worth noting that I've been shooting for awhile and been around many reloaders to learn from conversation and observation. So many of the topics were not completely foreign to me when I started. But I didn't take any specific class or get instruction from anyone to get going.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I read the Lee reloading book, then watched a friend (experienced reloader) load a while, then started.

I think Profire is a good source for a fast track (if there is such a thing) to get started.

cgbaseball0707

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Thanks for all the amazing info! I was out of town for a few days and just got back around to checking this. I looked into Profires class. That is definitely where I'm going to start!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Thanks for all the amazing info! I was out of town for a few days and just got back around to checking this. I looked into Profires class. That is definitely where I'm going to start!
    let us know how it goes. THere are a lot of us that are just starting this at the same time as you (me!!) so any info would be great. I'll add that from what I've seen on youtube vids, you gotta watch enough of them to start getting a sense of which ones are good and which ones are bad. So far, I'm starting to distinguish a little bit and usually the first sign is if they even know/use the correct terminology!
    Also, as others have said, manuals are a great source of info, even in today's electronic age. Check your library also, mine had the Hornady reloading manual. I read it and can already tell you that I like the Lyman or Lee manuals better. That's why it's good to get your hands on a few of them.
    I'm all ready to order my press, dies, and bullets. I've already got primers, powder, and brass. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    let us know how it goes. THere are a lot of us that are just starting this at the same time as you (me!!) so any info would be great. I'll add that from what I've seen on youtube vids, you gotta watch enough of them to start getting a sense of which ones are good and which ones are bad. So far, I'm starting to distinguish a little bit and usually the first sign is if they even know/use the correct terminology!
    Also, as others have said, manuals are a great source of info, even in today's electronic age. Check your library also, mine had the Hornady reloading manual. I read it and can already tell you that I like the Lyman or Lee manuals better. That's why it's good to get your hands on a few of them.
    I'm all ready to order my press, dies, and bullets. I've already got primers, powder, and brass. I feel like a kid in a candy store.
    I too like the Lyman reloading manuals, but Speer also publishes a top notch one, as well.

Top Bottom