• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Is it safe to use a shell holder (like i use on my RCBS press) in a hammer type bullet puller? I saw it on YouTube but thought I would double check with experts. Thanks.

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    I don't use inertia pullers, although I could see the benefit of using one for lead projectiles that you don't necessarily want to damage to remove. However, I did a quick google search for "inertia bullet puller shell holder" and the first thread was this: Inertial Bullet Puller Warning - Shooters Forum

The o-ringed collet does maintain the round centered in the puller, without anything near the primer. A standard shell holder can allow the round to shift side to side, which can possibly pose an issue with the shell holder coming in contact with the primer during the hammering action. Given the dangers associated with what we do, and the safety that is paramount with it, I don't think I personally would tempt fate...

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    What's the advantage of using the shellholder? I'm trying to picture how that would work.

Instead of using the aluminum collets, you put the round in a shell holder, center it in the hammer and screw on the end cap. Basically it acts as the collet does, just doesn't fall apart after 20 hits.

Most people don't notice there is a hole in the screw cap of an inertia puller. It's there for that reason.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Maybe its because I typically pull a bullet that I have made a mistake in loading. Or think that I have.

The inertial puller is nearby when loading. If something is not right, I just pull the whole deal out of the single stage press, put it in the hammer and yank the bullet. Sometimes I'm right. Usually I'm not. I am cautious.

I load all my rifle rounds in a single stage. I learned long ago that progressives are not to be trusted for rifle ammo. I use progressives for pistol ammo. The only problems I encounter with pistol ammo is a tipped or upside down primer. It never gets to needing a bullet pulled.

Short answer, its quicker to just put the shellholder with the cartridge attached in the inertial bullet puller and get it disassembled before it gets put in the "finished" ammo bucket. By mistake.

modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Thanks. That link is good enough for me. No more shell holder. I'm new but I think there is a device that attaches to the RCBS press to pull the bullet. I'm going to buy it if it exists.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There is such a device that can be used with any press. There are two styles. I have both. They work very well. They both leave a groove in the bullet.

Its just faster the way I do things, to just bang the bullet out with the hammer.

modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    There is such a device that can be used with any press. There are two styles. I have both. They work very well. They both leave a groove in the bullet.

Its just faster the way I do things, to just bang the bullet out with the hammer.

I have only used the banger twice and both times it ruined my Nosler Partition bullet. What if I just dug a hole in my back yard and buried my mistakes. :)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Shellholder user here, after fighting the three little triangular pieces enough times that the inner lip actually shattered off of them, I started the shell holder trick, and have never looked back.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    OK, internet rumor perhaps. Or maybe a first hand account on a forum somewhere... but IIRC a guy was using a shell holder with a round of .45 ACP ammo and it went off. The cause was a high primer struck by an edge or surface of the shell holder.

The solution, I decided, would be to ALWAYS point the opening of the shell holder toward the handle. The centrifugal force of swinging the hammer insures that the primer will be positioned in the center of the priming hole in the shell holder and prevents any part of the shell holder from impacting the primer.

This is only what I do. You weigh the risks and benefits for yourself and make your own decision.

P.S. ALWAYS wear safety glasses when using an inertial bullet puller.

P.P.S. Don't fumble with the collet, learn to use it correctly. The collet goes into under the cap; put the cap on but don't tighten it all the way. Insert the round by pushing it through the hole in the cap. When the round snaps into place, tighten the cap the rest of the way.

Found it...

Inertial Bullet Puller Warning - Shooters Forum

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I've used the hammer a lot. I loaded about 900 rounds of .38s and figured out I had a problem with my scale. The only issue I had was the o- ring went bad, but about three rubber bands that my kid used on her braces worked just fine. I think if you dollar cost average it out the rubber bands are about 20 dollars apiece. I will try the shell holder though to see if it works.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I've been using the collet from a single RCBS hammer-style puller for at least 25 years and never had a problem with it. I think I'll stick with using it the way the tool is designed. If I ever need to pull a lot of bullets, I'll get a better tool for doing a high volume, safely.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom