• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    I recently bought a used Dillon XL650. I bough new Dillon 9mm carbide dies 9mm conversion kit and some replacement parts for the XL650 to bring it back to new condition. Saturday night I tried reloading on it for the first time (my first time on a progressive). Everything went pretty well though I noticed some differences with the Dillion dies vs the Lee dies I have previously used for reloading 9mm.

The rounds I was loading were for shooting IDPA the following day. After running a batch of ammo for IDPA I do a quality check which included testing each round in a Dillon Case gauge. After gauging the ammo I loaded I found about 20% were rejected due to not fully seating or freely releasing from the case gauge. This I believe is due to the cases not being fully sized in the Dillon sizing and de-capping die. I had hear that the Dillon dies had some additional tapper that helped in aligning the case to the die on a progressive press, which is the reason I bought the Dillon dies.

I had noticed when I was setting up my die that there was a little more bulge at the bottom of the case with the Dillon dies than my Lee dies. I believe I have the sizing die adjust down as far as I can. When the shell plate is at the end of the top stroke the sizing die just hits it. I also don't believe I was short stroking the press.

On the left is one of the new rounds from my Dillon with Dillon dies. On the right is an old test round from my Lee Classic Turret with Lee dies.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent the bulge at the bottom? Should I not be using for Dillon dies if I don't want bulge at the bottom?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Do you have a micrometer? Is the bottom bulged or is the body just tapered more? I have several brands of dies, and my semi auto rounds have that appearance of the ring down by the case web, but the case body is smaller diameter by few thousandths. I personally like a tighter neck tension as I do not crimp Semi auto pistol or any rifle rounds, semi auto of not.

WIth the 650 you can try screwing your old sizing die into the dillon and try to see if that works better. Load a few with no powder or primer and soot them up with a candle. Drop the suspected cases into the case gauge and see for sure where they are rubbing. Do you have the Dillon tapered final sizing die in the last station?

Last edited:

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    The area just above the case rim on the Lee case measures .388" on the Dillon case .3885"
    The middle of the Lee case measures .382" on the Dillon Case .3755"
    The top of the Lee case below the crimp measures .375" on the Dillon .375

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I had trouble with a bulge near the bottom (toward the headstamp end) on 9mm when using Dillon 9mm dies on range brass. The Dillon dies have a taper near the die mouth which makes it easier to start the brass into the die for faster cycles. The trade-off is that if the brass is bulged the taper at the mouth of the die will not remove it.

I installed a Lee sizing die on my 650 press and it removed the bulge. The trade-offs with the Lee die are that sometimes I have to guide the brass into the die so it isn't as fast or easy as the Dillon die and the Lee die works itself loose because there are not enough exposed threads to tighten it properly. Someone suggested putting the nut on the bottom instead of the top but I haven't explored that option yet.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I
    I installed a Lee sizing die on my 650 press and it removed the bulge. The trade-offs with the Lee die are that sometimes I have to guide the brass into the die so it isn't as fast or easy as the Dillon die and the Lee die works itself loose because there are not enough exposed threads to tighten it properly. Someone suggested putting the nut on the bottom instead of the top but I haven't explored that option yet.

That sounds like a solution. Only one of my 9 die plate set ups were stuffed with all Dillon dies. The through powder die has to be dillon, and I like the dillon final taper die on semi auto pistol rounds, but everything else was mix and match. Use the thin dillon lock nuts on whatever dies you use so you will have room to tighten them. I am pretty sure at least one die plate has a dillon locknut on the bottom of some other brand of die.

The posted measurements do not seem like they are a problem, but if screwing a Lee die into the plate fixes it, you cannot argue with that. Good Luck

theslasher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Knox
    As long as the Dillon size die is all the way down touching the shellplate like its supposed to be, those rounds should chamber just fine. Take the barrel out of your gun and check it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    As long as the Dillon size die is all the way down touching the shellplate like its supposed to be, those rounds should chamber just fine. Take the barrel out of your gun and check it.

+1. I usually don't even chamber or gauge check 9mm for a production gun. Although my reject rate if/when I do spot check (like for a major match) is more like 5%, not 20%.

toss those that don't pass your gauge into a practice bin and burn it up. that's what I did at first. after lots of rounds never having a malfunction in practice, I quit worrying about it even for most match use.

If you're running it in something like a uspsa open gun w/ a real tight chamber, only then might it be an issue. maybe. my .38 super open loads fail the check gauge at about the same rate (using a lee undersized sizer) and I've never had a problem w/ it, either.

load, shoot, be happy.

-rvb

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I have zero issues with Dillons 9mm die properly removing the bulge from range brass, somethings not right with the die adjustment and it's a complaint most of us have seen numerous time. IMP- Did you get one of Dillon's alignment tools before you set the press and die's up?

If not, call them and ask for the 650 alignment tool they will send you one free of charge and talk you through the process it get's the base and shell plate trued up to center of the tool head die locations and it's done using the initial sizing and de-prime location in the tool head. Step one before any dies are ever installed, Dillon pistol dies are the bee's knees run on a properly aligned press.

Anyone that owns a Dillon 550 or up needs the appropriate alignment tool on their bench and it won't cost you anything (they are different tools by model) you'll never know just how good those presses are until they are aligned the right way.

theslasher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Knox
    I just recently purchased all Dillon dies and sold all my Lees. I have only setup and ran .38 spl with them and it brought the presses smoothness to a whole new level. I looked at my 9mm resizing die to see what everyone is talking about and its not much more radiused then the lee. Everything I have bought from Dillon has been first-class. I dont see why their dies would be any different..

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    I have zero issues with Dillons 9mm die properly removing the bulge from range brass, somethings not right with the die adjustment and it's a complaint most of us have seen numerous time. IMP- Did you get one of Dillon's alignment tools before you set the press and die's up?

If not, call them and ask for the 650 alignment tool they will send you one free of charge and talk you through the process it get's the base and shell plate trued up to center of the tool head die locations and it's done using the initial sizing and de-prime location in the tool head. Step one before any dies are ever installed, Dillon pistol dies are the bee's knees run on a properly aligned press.

Anyone that owns a Dillon 550 or up needs the appropriate alignment tool on their bench and it won't cost you anything (they are different tools by model) you'll never know just how good those presses are until they are aligned the right way.

I do not have a 650 alignment tool... or at least I don't think so. I will check into it.

I double checked the sizing die and was able to get a little more down adjustment. I'll give an update the next time I reload. Thanks everyone for the input.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    As trophyhunter said call Dillon and get the alignment tool. I own 2 Dillon presses and they really do have a NO BS warranty. And they will help you diagnose any problem with your press over the phone.

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    I called Dillon today and asked about the alignment tool. It was the most amazing customer service experience on my life!! :+1:

I called and with out hearing any ringing or going through any menus an actual REAL person answered. I told them I heard about the alignment tool and before I knew it they already had pulled up my information, had my shipping address and put in to have one shipped to me. The entire call lasted less than a minute!!! New lifetime customer

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I called Dillon today and asked about the alignment tool. It was the most amazing customer service experience on my life!! :+1:

I called and with out hearing any ringing or going through any menus an actual REAL person answered. I told them I heard about the alignment tool and before I knew it they already had pulled up my information, had my shipping address and put in to have one shipped to me. The entire call lasted less than a minute!!! New lifetime customer

They don't mess around, Mike Dillon is serious about the Precision aspect of his namesake in their company's product lineup and it shows. You'll see that reflected in the consistency and quality of the ammunition that comes off your press once it's dialed in.

Any issues getting it aligned, call them first they will see to it you get whatever help you need to have that running perfectly when it's done.

Top Bottom