• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I am in the Crawfordsville Walmart yesterday and on my way around the store, I do the obligatory swing by the Sporting Goods department. Another customer is walking up to the counter in front of me. He glances in the ammo case and the guy behind the counter (Richard) asks if he can help him. The guy said he was looking for. 22 ammo. Richard said, "We don't have any today. We got 4,000 rounds in yesterday" The guy chuckled and said, "I wasn't here yesterday." Then Richard goes on, "Yeah, Mark, who works here, must have known they were coming in because he came in early and bought 3,000 of them." Richard goes on about how he doesn't think it is right, morally. He said that he had asked Mark if he was going to sell it on the Internet and Mark smiled and said, "I wouldn't do that"
    I spoke with a store manager and relayed the story time in sporting goods. She was either genuinely shocked or she was a good actress. She "assured" me that it would be reported up the chain and it wouldn't happen again.
    Nothing like a little "insider trading" Could have at least had the decency to cut this ass clown off at their three box limit.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Meh.

If it was on the shelf and available for purchase when he bought it I have no qualms.

If he were to buy it from the back room where other customers didn't even have the chance then that would be an issue.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    With the guy working right there in the Sporting Goods department, doesn't sound like it made it to the shelf. So, you are fine that they would limit the amount that you or I can buy but A. This guy rang himself up and ignored the limit or B. Another employee rang him up and ignored the limit?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    With the guy working right there in the Sporting Goods department, doesn't sound like it made it to the shelf. So, you are fine that they would limit the amount that you or I can buy but A. This guy rang himself up and ignored the limit or B. Another employee rang him up and ignored the limit?

And unless it's baby formula being bought to sell in bodegas and other competing retail stores (or used to cut coke), mgmt won't care.

All they really care about is x cases of ammo came off the truck and x cases were sold for a profit and no laws were broken. Beyond that, they really couldn't care less that joe shooter is pissed regardless how sincere the manager sounded.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I know you are right, cameramonkey. Just torqued off that things aren't going to get better as long as there are guys pulling that crap. Running into more and more people that are struggling to find .22 ammo for their kids and grand kids to get some range time or head to the squirrel woods in a few weeks.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You said "He came in early and bought 3,000." That implies, but I could be wrong, that he came in when he was not working and bought it because he knew it would be there. Again - so long as he bought it when he wasn't on the clock/working I have no qualms with it. I worked at Wal-Mart once - in receiving as a matter of fact - and saw things come in that I wanted to buy... I bought them off the shelf when I got off shift - how dare I do that rather than going home and then coming back to get it!!!

This does leave interesting potential facts behind:
    1. He only bought 3/4 of what was available and left 1/4 [1,000].
    2. Somebody else bought the remaining 1/4 [1,000] - why are you not mad at them for buying it up?

Again - I understand your frustration but it's not 'insider trading'. If you knew it was coming in you'd probably have gone to buy it too - the only thing is you didn't know.

That said I do wish people would stop buying it up to resell it but it goes both ways - if people would quit paying the ridiculous prices these hawks are asking for it the market for it would dry up, they'd quit buying it because they can't sell it, and it'd be on the shelves.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You said "He came in early and bought 3,000." That implies, but I could be wrong, that he came in when he was not working and bought it because he knew it would be there. Again - so long as he bought it when he wasn't on the clock/working I have no qualms with it. I worked at Wal-Mart once - in receiving as a matter of fact - and saw things come in that I wanted to buy... I bought them off the shelf when I got off shift - how dare I do that rather than going home and then coming back to get it!!!

This does leave interesting potential facts behind:
    1. He only bought 3/4 of what was available and left 1/4 [1,000].
    2. Somebody else bought the remaining 1/4 [1,000] - why are you not mad at them for buying it up?

Again - I understand your frustration but it's not 'insider trading'. If you knew it was coming in you'd probably have gone to buy it too - the only thing is you didn't know.

That said I do wish people would stop buying it up to resell it but it goes both ways - if people would quit paying the ridiculous prices these hawks are asking for it the market for it would dry up, they'd quit buying it because they can't sell it, and it'd be on the shelves.

I understand your point, but unless these were 1000 round packs, he was able to purchase far more than the 3 box limit. That's a point of contention for me. Not sure about "insider trading", but definitely abuse of his position. Now, if these were 1000 round packs, I stand corrected.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Richard sounds like a drama queen and if I were the manager, I'd write him up for airing dirty laundry to customers.

How long before Walmart just stops all ammo sales? The profit they're making off of it can't be worth all the drama and butthurt.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Richard sounds like a drama queen and if I were the manager, I'd write him up for airing dirty laundry to customers.

How long before Walmart just stops all ammo sales? The profit they're making off of it can't be worth all the drama and butthurt.

WM doesn't exactly have a sparkling image. I doubt minor stuff like this adds up to a grain of sand to the upper tier.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I know you are right, cameramonkey. Just torqued off that things aren't going to get better as long as there are guys pulling that crap. Running into more and more people that are struggling to find .22 ammo for their kids and grand kids to get some range time or head to the squirrel woods in a few weeks.

Haven't you been following this issue on INGO? You have no right to complain. You should have bought up 100,000 rounds when .22 was $1 a brick. Yadda yadda yadda.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I didn't take Richard as a drama queen. He was very calm, casual and spoke in a low, matter of fact tone. He sounded like an employee that had a little concern for customers and he made the comment that it certainly wasn't anything illegal, it just seemed like a morality issue to him.
    If Mark has been doing this for any amount of time and making a nice little "bonus" of $100 - 150 a week, maybe Richard does feel a little but hurt.
    I am certainly not going to get a job at Walmart just to be in the know of when ammunition is on the delivery truck and I, like most here, work a full time job so I don't have the luxury of driving around every day to try a hunt the elusive .22 ammo. Heck, I don't even have time to call around and see if any place close has it.
    I wouldn't be upset one bit if Mark is buying the ammo for his personal use but for some reason Richard, who works with him, thinks otherwise and it sounds like his suspicions were confirmed by Mark's reaction when confronted.
    I don't have a right to complain, but I have the ability. :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am in the Crawfordsville Walmart yesterday and on my way around the store, I do the obligatory swing by the Sporting Goods department. Another customer is walking up to the counter in front of me. He glances in the ammo case and the guy behind the counter (Richard) asks if he can help him. The guy said he was looking for. 22 ammo. Richard said, "We don't have any today. We got 4,000 rounds in yesterday" The guy chuckled and said, "I wasn't here yesterday." Then Richard goes on, "Yeah, Mark, who works here, must have known they were coming in because he came in early and bought 3,000 of them." Richard goes on about how he doesn't think it is right, morally. He said that he had asked Mark if he was going to sell it on the Internet and Mark smiled and said, "I wouldn't do that"
    I spoke with a store manager and relayed the story time in sporting goods. She was either genuinely shocked or she was a good actress. She "assured" me that it would be reported up the chain and it wouldn't happen again.
    Nothing like a little "insider trading" Could have at least had the decency to cut this ass clown off at their three box limit.

This has been SOP with the big Wally since all this started. Nothing new here. Move along.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I was at the WM in Plymouth yesterday. They haven't had 22lr for months. The ammo case was almost empty. The shelves had all been cleared and relabeled for 22lr again. So it was being rearranged. I asked the woman at the counter if that meant they were expecting 22lr soon. She said they have been ordering it but the home office is blocking it. I asked, "If that's the case, then why would you redo the ammo case and relabel it for 22lr?" She just shrugged and said all she new is there wouldn't be any coming in any time soon. Made no sense.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was at the WM in Plymouth yesterday. They haven't had 22lr for months. The ammo case was almost empty. The shelves had all been cleared and relabeled for 22lr again. So it was being rearranged. I asked the woman at the counter if that meant they were expecting 22lr soon. She said they have been ordering it but the home office is blocking it. I asked, "If that's the case, then why would you redo the ammo case and relabel it for 22lr?" She just shrugged and said all she new is there wouldn't be any coming in any time soon. Made no sense.

Again....Big Wally.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011

I worked there when i was 20, they have a layout they are supposed to follow. If the product is something they stock it has its place on a shelf called its "home". So even tho they haven't had it in stock it still has a home. Endcaps, foor displays , clearance etc... this doesn't apply to.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I understand your point, but unless these were 1000 round packs, he was able to purchase far more than the 3 box limit. That's a point of contention for me. Not sure about "insider trading", but definitely abuse of his position. Now, if these were 1000 round packs, I stand corrected.
    It's just abuse of the fact that he knows the people that work there most likely. I'm sure there are other people that are not employees but have good repertoire with the staff that could likely also buy more than the limit. I know I've talked people into doing things they shouldn't in the past such as selling me more than they were 'allowed' to by company policy and I didn't work there.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm all for employees buying ammo, but how about they have to abide by the same rules as customers? 3000 rounds is a little outside the 3 box limit, even at 525 rounds a box for WWB.

Top Bottom