• ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Check my plan/method.

I've loaded a few hundred rounds of .38 spcl and .357 so far this year. Started reloading late in the spring. Got the hang of it and am now expanding to .45 ACPs. I have probably shot 1-200 of the loads I've done for .38s.

I am using a lee classic turret 4 hole press. Lee 4 die carbide set of dies. The pro powder measure with adjustable charge bar is how I'm measuring powder.

So, reading up, I read a thread about how to set the bullet depth. The thread(its on the internet...so it must be true) said that with .45s they don't use the SAAMI? length guidelines that are in the book...the guy typing used the actual barrel of the gun. I have a 1911 I'm loading for, so I pulled the barrel and set the depth so the bullet bottom is even with the bottom of the barrel. I can't recall the max load...but its somewhere around 8.5 or higher I believe for #5. Books out in the garage or I'd look.

Here's the thread...

.45 ACP Reloading for beginners - Shooters Forum

Regardless, I have Titegroup, Blue Dot, and Acc #5 powder. I grabbed the Accurate 5 to load with as it had good results in the Lee Loading book with the bullets I have(230 Gr Lead RN and 230 gr Plated Xtreme Bullets).

I set the depth at around 1.26"(above the book recommendation of like 1.23") based on above thread(I had read that method somewhere else as well). I then started loading at the minimum load. 7.7 gr of powder. I have loaded 4 or 5 rounds of 7.7, 7.8, 7.9 gr(each load indivudally measured on a RCBS 505 scale) and then I have a couple at 8.1 gr and 8.2 gr. I read somewhere that with Semi-autos you want to use as little powder charge as possible. Just enough to actuate the gun reliably...so I am working my way up. Figure I'll take my samples to the range and see what my 1911 likes.

For the crimp...I crimp it. Not sure how I tell if its too much or too little...I backed it off a bit(I bought a 4 die lee carbide set...so I am using the 4th die for the crimp.) I know the crimp originally felt very firm as it took some press pressure to run the die. The new one takes very little effort some times...other times more but its mainly on that last sizer and not on the crimping part of the die stroke.

So, is this the proper method for my semi-auto? I 'think' it is...but wanted to run it by the knowledgeable folks...

Thanks!

Last edited:

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Well, I'm still the novice with two years of handloading. I use the barrel as a caliber gauge since I cast my boolits as well. The bullet profile will affect the OAL. Mine for example, are cast LTC, 230gr with 8.0gr of #5 set to an OAL 1.20. These work fine in my Colt 1911 (old, not -A1) The crimp should just be a kiss - no more. Your brass will vary in length so either trim them or set the crimp to a compromise between short and tall brass. Your approach appears fine to me.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    check out Hodgdon's web site Loads for 45acp with TG I have used this for yrs. Good luck Check out X Treme bullets Great plated and just a few $$$ more than lead w/o smoke -easy cleaning bbl.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    After 23+ years of reloading, I am constantly learning new things. New load data, new ways of doing things. That's one reason I still enjoy it so much.
    Sounds like you are doing fine. For me, the amount of crimp was one of the tougher things to learn. I agree with the sentiment above, less is usually more, when it comes to crimping. I go for the least amount necessary to keep the bullets where they are supposed to be, in that particular firearm. Obviously, a semi auto handgun is not as gentle on the rounds as say a bolt action rifle. As long as recoil is not setting the bullets forward or back you should be good to go.
    Unless you are running these through a chronograph, I don't think you will notice much difference in your tenth of a grain increments. You'll know between a 7.7 grain and an 8.2 grain. Nothing is 100% in reloading but I have typically found the best accuracy in mid range loads.
    I used to shoot a 70 series Colt 1911 that I built with a six inch, stainless Heine barrel with a dual port comp, that with mid range Winchester 231 loads, I could hit pop cans at 100 yards, all day with the iron sights.
    Keep testing your loads. Be safe and have fun.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    i use a taper crimp die for my handgun loads. takes a lot of the guess work out of crimping. case lenghts vary to much for normal crimp dies

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Thanks guys!

I will start measuring my cases before I load each to get an idea on the length variance. I haven't sorted them by make but will if I have to.

I have 500 lead bullets from Indiana Bullet co as well as 500 from Xtreme. After I use up all my standard lead bullets( I have probably 800 .38s and 500 .45s left) I will migrate strictly to plated I think.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like Mr. Steve said, bullet profile will mean everything in your particular gun. When trying new things I find making dummy cartridges and checking chambering helps a lot.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Instead of sorting brass by length, I like to run my brass through the Lee case trimmer. It is a set length, but usually is short enough to square up the brass without taking it shorter than the minimum. This will make setting a crimp die much easier once you find the sweet spot for your gun/bullet combination.

OAL is something else that might give you fits starting out, depending on the bullet you are loading. When I load LRN in my .45, its pretty simple and straight forward. Loading hollow points like the XTP, on the other hand, can prove a bit challenging in some guns. COAL can make all the difference in reliable functioning with some pistols.

It sounds like you are on the right track, hopefully you enjoy your new hobby.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    "I have 500 lead bullets from Indiana Bullet co as well as 500 from Xtreme. After I use up all my standard lead bullets( I have probably 800 .38s and 500 .45s left) I will migrate strictly to plated I think."

I load a lot of plated bullets but I will never get away from cast lead bullets. Too much variety, savings and flexibility, imho.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Almost there....

is the OAL on the lee die instructions a min length?

The OAL in the diagrams, in all load books (That I have seen) are the MAX OAL for that caliber. Most manuals will also list the MIN OAL..Bill.

PS: Good to see you on INGO, Scooter....You're almost to the 50 post count..HA HA...

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I've never trimmed any straight walled pistol brass and don't plan to. Not needed IMHO.
    I load a lot of 45acp 230gr Xtreme and have my OAL at 1.30 and my 1911 and Glock 41 eat them up.
    1.20 just seems way to short.

I also use the Lee die set & crimp die.
    Adjust your crimp in just enough to take out the flare.
    If the finished round slips in and out of your barrel's chamber nice and easy, you should be good to go.

Top Bottom