• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Does anyone have any printed load data for Clay Dot in 45 acp for a 230 gr extreme plated round nose. I have data for Clays and a load worked up but none is available yet so. I found Clay dot which is supposed to be very close to the same and burn rate is about the same. I found an 8lb keg so now I am looking for PRINTED DATA to start with. Sorry I won't be trusting home brews so if someone has any real sources I would appreciate it greatly.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I also like Clays in .45acp cast bullet loads. Never tried ClayDot.

Searching for published Pistol data for Clay Dot has not been fruitful in my efforts. A few guys say they use it as a direct replacement for clays. I don't know them, so I would not trust that statement. Have you tried calling Alliant and taking to the techs? I had the Techs at Winchester give me some non published data in the past. If a tech told me their calculations were between 3 and 3.5 under a 230 gr cast bullet, but start low, I would not be afraid to give it a try.

About 20 years ago I started using Hodgdon INTERNATIONAL Clays (not to be confused with clays or universal clays) It worked great in the 20 gauge skeet shells as well as the full power 12 trap shells. According to burn rate charts, it should be a great pistol powder. At that time I called Hodgdon for pistol data and was told they cannot recommend the powder for pistols. I figured pistol data would be out in a few years. Fast forward to last year, I was on the phone with the techs again, and the guy said no, International was completely unsuitable for any type of pistol use. At pistol pressures the curve gets really unstable. That is good enough for me, I just keep using it for shotguns.

Give Alliant a call. Let us know what they say.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I also like Clays in .45acp cast bullet loads. Never tried ClayDot.

Searching for published Pistol data for Clay Dot has not been fruitful in my efforts. A few guys say they use it as a direct replacement for clays. I don't know them, so I would not trust that statement. Have you tried calling Alliant and taking to the techs? I had the Techs at Winchester give me some non published data in the past. If a tech told me their calculations were between 3 and 3.5 under a 230 gr cast bullet, but start low, I would not be afraid to give it a try.

About 20 years ago I started using Hodgdon INTERNATIONAL Clays (not to be confused with clays or universal clays) It worked great in the 20 gauge skeet shells as well as the full power 12 trap shells. According to burn rate charts, it should be a great pistol powder. At that time I called Hodgdon for pistol data and was told they cannot recommend the powder for pistols. I figured pistol data would be out in a few years. Fast forward to last year, I was on the phone with the techs again, and the guy said no, International was completely unsuitable for any type of pistol use. At pistol pressures the curve gets really unstable. That is good enough for me, I just keep using it for shotguns.

Give Alliant a call. Let us know what they say.

I have an email off to them already but have not had a response. (they have not had it long though). I heard of the equivillancy but I prefer printed data. Clays has been used in 45acp for years with great results. Clay Dot is suppose to mimmick it. I will let you know what they say.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The Hodgdon representative at the NRA show in Indy told me Clays and Clay Dot are identical and recipes between the two can be replicated grain for grain. That being said, I never opened the canister I bought. I sold it to somebody who needed it more.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I found an 8lb keg

If you got it from me in Busco, I think there are still a couple more. If you try working up a load, let me know if you like it because we shoot the same type of plated lead. And maybe I will snag a canister for myself before they are gone again, if so.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    If you got it from me in Busco, I think there are still a couple more. If you try working up a load, let me know if you like it because we shoot the same type of plated lead. And maybe I will snag a canister for myself before they are gone again, if so.

I did buy it from you yesterday. LOL I will let you know as soon as I find out. Thanks.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Good luck. I really doubt you'll get any helpful response from Alliant. I scoured the web for published data and never found any. Many have asked Alliant and they don't have any pistol data on it.

I shot over 7k rounds worth of Clay Dot this summer. It shoots similar to Clays. I had to load a tenth higher to make the same major power factor. No issues with accuracy. Mostly shot 200gr SWC but near the end of the season I loaded some 230gr RN too.

My only small complaint about it is that the powder gets the press dirty. Has some sort of really fine dust that ends up on the press. Never had that issue with other powders like Clays, TG, 231, CFE Pistol, etc...

-Tim

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The last email I sent to Allaiant told that they have no data except for hotguns and they won't for quite a hile and to not try and use it just like Clays. Tht confused me since my container says it is just the same as Clays except from Alliant. :dunno:

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    If you don't know how to work up a load for an "unknown" powder and don't have data, why buy?
    A start load for Clays would be 3.5gn. I would, since I am cautious, start at 3.0-3.2gn (~10% decrease) and work up. That is not to say you should, just that is what I would probably do. The fastest powder normally used for .45, N310, has a start load of 4.0gn, so the start load for Clays is quite low to begin with.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    If you don't know how to work up a load for an "unknown" powder and don't have data, why buy

Because they are not making Clays at the moment and everyone is running out. This is supposed to be the replacement for it.

Like the statement above say's they won't give any data on it. So we are just kinda assuming which is usually not good but I have spoken to enough that are using that I will start a ladder off the Clay's data.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Please post your results.

Clay's is the powder I use the most of. Trying to find it, then paying higher prices has been difficult. I'm working my last pound now.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Honestly, It may be January before I get onto this. Between Holiday's and work and deer season and well life. I will start testing in January. I use January and February to fill all my brass. I have the components now so it's just the time.

I will let you know how it goes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was looking for pricing and ran into a single review related to this on midway:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155507/alliant-clay-dot-smokeless-gun-powder-8-lb
    By LJ 1941
    from Eastern Pennsylvania
    About Me Casual/ Recreational, Collector, Enthusiast, Home Owner, Hunter

3/26/2013

I use Claydot as a substitute for Clays using Clays data weight for weight in handloads for handguns. I like it because it is efficent, clean burning and economical. I find no cons for using this product as a substitute for another product since it seems to work equally well as the more expensive product.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I can find a pound locally, I may give it a try. Hard to not like a better price.
    I load 200gr SWC's and RN's, with 4.3-4.5 grains of Clays behind.

Last edited:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I know you want printed data, but a year or 2 ago I emailed them. They informed me it would use same load as Hodgdon Clays I started a little lower and ended up with best accuracy and results at my same loads as Clays. I wish I still had that email but I no longer needed it. Hopefully they reply to you.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I know you want printed data, but a year or 2 ago I emailed them. They informed me it would use same load as Hodgdon Clays I started a little lower and ended up with best accuracy and results at my same loads as Clays. I wish I still had that email but I no longer needed it. Hopefully they reply to you.
    They did and yes that is pretty much what they said.

There is no printed data for this powder in handgun loads. No company has tested it yet. But in my searching of several forums I have found several people using this and saying this uses the same data as clay's. So if your going this way I am thinking start at 3.2 gr and work the ladder. cccccccccCheck for pressure as you go. Everyone I have spoken with says it ends up the same. except one and he went up .02.

I am thinking that this price point will create a bunch of fans for Clay Dot. I will be testing mine in about a month or so.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    If you don't post up about it, stop in sometime and let me know what you think.

Just to update on this one for you.

I am still finishing of my last Clays for 45 acp so I have not started with the Clay Dot yet.

I thought I would try this for 9mm with some Clays data. This did not work well for 9mm because it filled the case and came very close to compressing the load. staying just short of the bullet at 3.2 gr was a very week load and would not have met minor power factor. At 2.9 gr it would not cycle the gun. I would not recommend it for 9mm but 45acp is a different story.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I use Clays in a lot of target pistol loads. Since last March, I have been using Clay Dot for my 12 gauge loads. I didn't want to use up all my Clays loading shotgun shells. I use the same weight of Clay Dot as I did with Clays (at least pretty close since they don't weigh the same from the bushings). I have not chronographed my loads, so I don't know if the velocities are close. I did notice Clay Dot leaves a few grains of burnt powder in my shotgun, but not bad. Clays did not do that. Also, Clay Dot weighs more than Clays in a given powder bushing. These are actual results I got from weighing both powders:

MEC
    Clay DotBushingClays

I have not tried Clay Dot in my pistol loads yet. If it gets to that point, I will work up loads up to the weight in my Clays data and maybe .1 or .2 grains higher. I will chrono the loads and try to get similar velocities and accuracy. None of my loads are near max, so there should be no problems. If your loads with Clays are around max, I would be cautious. These are fast powders and can build pressures quickly.

I know this doesn't help much, but I wanted to show the differences I found in the shotgun. Clay Dot does seem to be a duplicate of Clays, at least in the shotgun. This may or may not transfer over to pistol loads, but it may be good info to have. Good luck with your testing.

Top Bottom