• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GingerKid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    NWI
    So I've been running my 9mm stash down a little bit lately and since I've got a press setup again I decided to load up some more. The only powder I had on hand is Accurate No.5, and I grabbed some 115 gr Rainier HP from Cabelas (which were surprisingly reasonably priced. I actually found load data for this exact combination of 4.8-5.7 gr at 1.1" COL. Since I was planning on shooting these in my XDS I started at 5.1 gr since it has a fairly strong recoil spring. Loaded up a few and went out to my friends house to test them out. Out of 14 rounds fired, most wouldn't even cycle the slide, a few managed to stovepipe without fully ejecting. Granted, this is a fairly new gun with less than 100 rounds though it and it might've helped to lightly oil it more.

What I should've done is brought my P-07 with too since that will shoot just about anything to function test that. So my question is this: do subcompacts really require that much hotter ammo (this is the first one I've loaded for) or is the data I've found unusually light? I'm leaning towards the first option right now since the load data seems to be on par with data for similar bullets in my other manuals. I just wanted to get some opinions from more experienced reloaders.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I loaded 500 rounds with 5.1gr of Accurate No.5 with 115gr Extreme Bullets for my friend. It wouldn't cycle the slide on his M&P 9 Compact, M&P 9 Pro 4.25 inch barrel, and M&P 9 Pro Core 5.0 inch barrel. We changed the recoil springs on both of the M&P 9 Pro's and they cycled the slide just fine. Had to bump the charge up to 5.7gr to get the M&P 9 Compact slide to cycle.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    The data you have for Accurate #5 is right but you've found that 5.1 is too light. I'm sure if you had a chronograph you'd be seeing velocity reading way lower than expected. This is what makes 9mm a bit tricky to reload, the range of 4.8 - 5.7 is really tight, less than 1 grain. A load of 5.1 is on the low side of this range and the FTE issue is a typical sign of undercharging.

The usual process without a chrono is to load up several rounds at several different loadings, say 5.1, 5.2, 5.3... etc. Up to the max of 5.7 and then fire them and observe the results. Take notes but you probably see that above a certain number you get reliable feeding, above that you are probably in the "optimal" range. While unlikely using a published load like 5.7, when you get to loads that are too hot you'll start seeing overpressure signs, FTE again, primers pushed out, bulging cases, case/rim separation. If you see those signs, stop using those rounds, you're too hot.

A chrono can take much of the guess work out of this. When you are getting velocities close to the published values, you know you're in the right spot.

I agree with you the XDs has a stiff slide spring. So I'm not surprised that it's having some issues with the light loading.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The data you have for Accurate #5 is right but you've found that 5.1 is too light. I'm sure if you had a chronograph you'd be seeing velocity reading way lower than expected. This is what makes 9mm a bit tricky to reload, the range of 4.8 - 5.7 is really tight, less than 1 grain. A load of 5.1 is on the low side of this range and the FTE issue is a typical sign of undercharging.

The usual process without a chrono is to load up several rounds at several different loadings, say 5.1, 5.2, 5.3... etc. Up to the max of 5.7 and then fire them and observe the results. Take notes but you probably see that above a certain number you get reliable feeding, above that you are probably in the "optimal" range. While unlikely using a published load like 5.7, when you get to loads that are too hot you'll start seeing overpressure signs, FTE again, primers pushed out, bulging cases, case/rim separation. If you see those signs, stop using those rounds, you're too hot.

A chrono can take much of the guess work out of this. When you are getting velocities close to the published values, you know you're in the right spot.

I agree with you the XDs has a stiff slide spring. So I'm not surprised that it's having some issues with the light loading.

When I chronographed the 5.1gr it only averaged 906fps out of a 425 in barrel. Accurate says 4.8gr should be 1017fps out of a 4.0 inch barrel

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Yep, that's not enough powder but before you change anything, weight your bullets and make sure they are really 115gr. If they're heavier, perhaps labeled incorrectly, they you might overcharge.

But if really 115 gr, then 906 is way too slow and that would explain why your gun is not cycling properly.

GingerKid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    NWI

Normally that's what I do. When I loaded with HS-6 and W231 I've always had good results with loads that were at the lower end of the range given. I got a little overconfident this time and loaded more than a couple though. I'm going to the range tomorrow, I'll see if they even cycle in my P-07. If they do cool, if not I'll pull whats left and reload them with more powder. Lesson learned I guess. Unfortunately a chrono isn't going to happen in the near future. I've got too many projects, both gun related and otherwise to spend money on at the moment. Right now I'm only loading pistol plinking ammo so I just dont' see a huge use for it.

I did weight the first few that I pulled out of the box and they were 115 gr +/- .5 or so. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem, maybe accurate needs to update their load data

Thanks for all the replies

Top Bottom