• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catalyst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Fishers
    I have been a gun enthusiast for a while now, own a few pistols, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP. I've been considering getting into reloading, and am trying to decide if it's worth doing. I've done a little bit of research, bought a few reloading books, and started saving my brass, but that's about it.

If I move ahead, I plan on getting the Dillon 550B based on recommendations of others. At the price of that hardware it looks like it would take a long time to pay for itself in savings over purchasing factory ammo.

That being the case, my main reasons for getting into reloading would be (1) sheer enjoyment of it, (2) more control over my ammo supply (read: fewer fruitless visits to every Wal-Mart in a 12-county area), and (3) ability to customize loads to suit my needs, not necessarily in that order.

I would like to hear from others that have experience reloading. Are these good reasons to start reloading? Have you stuck with it, or is that press you shelled out $$$$ for collecting dust in the garage? Do you find that reloading supplies are easy to find, esp. for pistol calibers?

Sorry if I've rehashed older threads. I'm sort of new to the site and am still getting my sea legs.

Last edited:

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    After taking a break from reloading I started again and did some number crunching a few weeks ago on the price of the equipemnt I bought and the price of reloads VS factory ammo. I can reload 45ACP for $12/100 and need to reload approx 4000-6000 rnds cover the cost of the equipment. After that I am saving. But, being able to load ammo to my taste is the most important to me. Savings and enjoyment are also a plus. To me reloading is a hobby in itself...

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    The cost of shooting is always important. When I started reloading many years ago it was to get the loads I wanted.
    Which translates into accuracy. Of course now there are so many different factory loads, if you can find them, that it makes that reason somewhat argumentative.
    The cost reduction of shooting is still very true.
    I always kind of looked at it from a perspective that comparing the cost of the reloading equipment is like adding the cost of a firearm into hunting deer. If you add the cost of the firearm into that then how much does the deer really cost? Of course I did not start deer hunting to lower my cost of meat.
    I must enjoy reloading and the quest of that ever elusive perfect load combination for everything I shoot.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you shoot more than 3000 rounds in a year its worth your time.... if you shoot large cals like 45 long colt or 44 magnum it will pay for itself in short order.... i offer free reloading classes from time to time... i will be holding another one this fall.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    In the classified section there is a Dillon 550 at an excellent price. Reloading gives the shooter control to develop ammunition to suit a given need (accuracy, recoil, cost). The .40SW load I shoot in my Limited gun cost me ~$110/K to make. If I shot WWB it would be $300/K plus spotty availability.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I do not enjoy reloading I do it because it is necessary. I shot 8,000 rounds through my competition gun last year, and I reloaded all of that and 2-3,000 more for other guns. At this level reloading is a must. I have the 550 and it works fine and it not gathering dust. I do not enjoy tinkering around and fine tuning loads either. That does not appeal to me at all. Once I settle on something that works I stick with it.

I want to crank out rounds as cheaply and as fast as I can. Bullets and brass are easy enough to secure. Right now primers are not.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i originally started to save money and mainly to TRY and make perfect ammo. the thing i didn't know is reloading is a addiction of its own. i still haven't even came close to the perfect ammo but im having a great time trying and i figure sometime in the next 20-30 years i might get a grasp on everything that comes into play and get it right.

i think you will save more money on bulk ammo than i do in my quest to get the perfect ammo (if that exists) because you wont need the extra equipment or you won need to try alot of diffrent components to see what your gun likes best.

for my ar i do bulk reloading. i just want a safe round thats as accurate as factory ammo cheaper. i got a safe round thats alot more accurate than factory ammo cheaper so im pleased and save money. for my 243 i could have bought alot of ammo for what i have in components but my goal is diffrent for that gun.

as far as easy to find components its been difficult since i started wich was only 6 months ago. but i hear its usually no big deal.

good luck

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Cost wise its probably not as beneficial at the current time as it was just months ago.... components are harder to find and definately alot more expensive. But having said that the other reasons that you stated are why most reload.

I have a teenager (16 y/o) son (known to some on here) that has a heavy trigger finger (Thumpers old 1919!!!) and we go thru alot of .223 and .308 for the ARs & M1As.... not to mention the -06 for the Garands.

So those are what I reload, I havent reloaded pistol calibers in years, I have just been saving the brass, processing it and storing them. The savings wasnt there enough for me and time wise, I barely keep up w/ our centerfire rifle needs.

Secondly, it has been great to show my kids how to reload, even my 6 y/o daughter works the press, helps me weigh the charges, sorts brass etc... and most of it is done in the TV room so Im still around while we watch movies and the ammo is getting loaded for future range trips...

Here a few pics of my reloading crew:

Depriming in the garage...

reloading002.jpg

And my daughter loading AR mags...

Jennaammo.jpg

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Re, 'collecting dust.' I just about always have a reloading project in progress. When I have more free time, it goes a lot faster. When I don't have as much free time, it goes slower. Right now I am working full time, plus working on a doctoral dissertation, and I have a 5 month baby and a 3 year old. So I don't have much time for reloading. My current .223 match ammo project has been going on for almost 3 years because I just load when I have time and let it sit when I don't. I am getting close to having this ammo all loaded up though. I'm way behind on .45 acp, so that will be next.

Re; components. It's been a strange time lately with ammo shortages and people reloading more, so prices have been up and availability has been down. This already seems to be getting better.
    In general, you do a lot better buying components in bulk quantities online, or buying at gun shows, than you do in local retail stores. Powder and primers require a special HazMat shipping fee, so it's good to get in on a group buy for those things.
    Starting out, I would suggest you buy powder in 1 lb cans at a local store just to make sure what you like. Then when you know you like a particular load or powder, you can buy it in bulk.
    I would not be hesitant to buy bullets - especially pistol bullets - in bulk. Unless you are buying something very strange or you are going for benchrest-grade accuracy, it's hard to imagine you buying jacketed or plated bullets in a common weight and saying "man, I wish I hadn't bought these because I just can't find a load that shoots well with them." In other words, I have at times bought powder that I didn't wind up liking much, but I have never bought bullets that I wound up being dissatisfied with.
    For pistol ammo, I would not bother with buying new brass. I have always used range pick ups for pistol reloading and never had a problem with it. For rifle, I usually buy a lot of once-fired brass with a common head stamp.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    all and all i started about 6 months ago and would defintally do it again. there is just something about shooting your own ammo and watching it preform well that appeals to me.

Sam7157

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Waynetown
    Takes awhile to make up for the cost of the equipment. I like the fact I tune the loads for each pistol or rifle I have. More accurate.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I got into reloading "and" casting my own bullets because of my RSH chambered in .480. The last box of .480 I bought was around 5 years ago, the sticker says $26.99 for a box of 20 rounds, which comes to just under $135.00 per hundred, compared to my hand load cost of $8.00 per 100. Considering my initial investment in a Lee turret press, dies, casting pot, and bullet molds cost me right at $225.00, I have more than recouped my startup cost over the approximately 300 rounds of .480 I have loaded. I have expanded to reload .45, .40, .357, .357 sig, and most recently, 9mm, and those are paying back even faster, since I am only buying dies, and the hand cannon paid for the rest of the equipment, .45acp is costing me $6.00 per hundred.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    If the cost of the Dillon is causing you to balk at diving into reloading, perhaps you are not shooting the volume to justify it. So look at a Hornady or Lee press. I reloaded even straightwall pistol brass on a RCBS Rockchucker for years before acquiring a Hornady progressive press. Even at low to moderate volumes, the economics of reloading are difficult to not work out in your favor over a short period of time.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    When you're loading for fairly common cartridges, like the 9mm and 45ACP, it takes longer to realize a ROI. However, if your uncle Jack wills you his Model 94 in 32 Special, and you want to shoot it, you'll quickly realize some major savings, as well as being able to fine-tune an accurate load. With that being said, I look at reloading components and equipment the way I do a fishing boat with a bunch of rods and reels: I'm not saving money catching fish, but I sure do have a good time. :)

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have a single stage press and load 45acp and 9mm I can load 9mm for $7.00 per 50 and $9.00 per 50 for the 45acp so it has not taken long to pay for my reloader , I reload when I get a couple hours at a time here lately with all the snow I got a nice pile of reloads waiting for good weather

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    My equipment has been paid for many times as I have been reloading for a long time now (35+ yr.) I started to save money and as I continued found I also enjoyed shooting my own, hand crafted ammunition. I tend to spend a lot of time in the winter loading the ammo for the summer. Now that I am also trying to extend my accuracy at longer distances shooting my rifles, reloading should also help me gain those last few millimeters of accuracy out of my rifle and myself.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    That being the case, my main reasons for getting into reloading would be (1) sheer enjoyment of it, (2) more control over my ammo supply (read: fewer fruitless visits to every Wal-Mart in a 12-county area), and (3) ability to customize loads to suit my needs, not necessarily in that order.

I started reloading this fall, 9mm and now 45 for reason #2 above. I can usually find the components I need at a few places in the area. Now that I reload I can actually shoot at a couple of indoor ranges this winter and particiapate in a few IDPA matches indoor at Bend on the River CC in Niles, MI. Once I recoup the cost of my equipment, I'm just further ahead.

Good luck, get a good set of manuals and try to find a mentor when you're starting out.
    Best,
    Wildcatfan.62

Top Bottom