• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I'm trying to reload .40 S&W and I'm having problems putting Federal Match small pistol primers in Winchester cases. It doesn't matter whether I prime on the Rockchucker or use a hand primer they both leave the impression of the priming rod. I get better results using the press, but with the handheld primer it just destroys them. Is there something about the Winchester cases I should know about or should I try a different brand of primer?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Some of the Winchester brass may actually have originally had a crimped primer. Can you take a picture of the primer pocket? You might see a small ring around the primer hole on the base of the case, or a few small stake marks. If that is the case, you can usually use a tool to remove the crimp. Some guys use a small drill bit, but I like to use a primer pocket swager. If you have a lot of them I'll do them for you if you pay round trip shipping.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I have noticed this some too. I can tell a difference in Winchester and federal throughout the reloading process. Winchester takes more effort to resize, prime and seat bullets in for me. I did notice that the primer pockets on my win brass was very dirty compared to the federal too. I Don't think mine is crimped as it's not "that" hard to seat the primers but do wonder if it is a combination of a slightly tighter primer pocket and a bunch of residue. Some were so dirty I cleaned them up a little bit on my case prep center

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    federal match primers have a softer cup than regular primers, may have something to do with it. Have any regular federal primers? or another brand. That is a massive indentation though

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I don't have any other brand, I was thinking I may try something different. I've given up on them for the time being. Priming the Federal cases the primers go in like butter and the casing looks factory when you are finished.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hornady makes a primer pocket crimp remover/uniformer that will also open a tight pocket up slightly. I have had to use it on foreign rifle brass to avoid any deformation of the primers. Never had an issue with Winchester brass, but I generally use Winchester primers.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    View attachment 36377 Not a very good picture, but I don't see anything that sticks out to me. I appreciate your offer, if you see something I'd be more than happy to pay full postage and send them to you.

Hmm...don't see much evidence of a crimp...so that might not be it. Offer still stands if you want me to try to run a few over my primer pocket swager to see if that helps a bit. Even if its just a handful for a trial that could help eliminate one variable.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'm surprised nobody said... "your problem is that youre using Winchester brass"
    (A lot of handloaders i speak with wont use Winchester brass unless they HAVE to)

With that said, ive never noticed problems with my basic 38/357 winchester brass...
    on second thought, it's usually a bit long and needs minor trimming after 1st firing (from factory new)

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Had same issue with Win primers in Win brass. I ran 500 lot of mixed brass .45acp through a progressive. At the end I had about ten or so loaded rounds with high primers. I looked at the head stamps and noticed they were all Win.

I think it is the Win brass. Now I recognize the feel when priming and pitch in the scrap bucket. Same with small primer 45acp brass.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Hmm...don't see much evidence of a crimp...so that might not be it. Offer still stands if you want me to try to run a few over my primer pocket swager to see if that helps a bit. Even if its just a handful for a trial that could help eliminate one variable.

I appreciate that. I ordered a military crimp remover for my .223 cases on Sunday. Do you think that would work for these cases? I noticed after I made the purchase that RCBS also makes a pocket uniformer as well.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I appreciate that. I ordered a military crimp remover for my .223 cases on Sunday. Do you think that would work for these cases? I noticed after I made the purchase that RCBS also makes a pocket uniformer as well.

Which one did you order? I have an RCBS kit that has 3 different dies that can do more or less all types of brass. The .223 small rifle pocket tool should work on .40S&W small pistol pocket. The only thing you might need to do is make sure your tool is set up correctly to contact the inside base of the case (that will make sense once you get the tool).

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    A Federal primer that is fully seated will usually have an light impression of the stem that drove it into the case. I have seen this for many years because Federal are the only primers I use. It's perfectly normal. Don't worry about it unless you are seating the primers with so much force you are crushing the anvil inside the primer. In your photo it appears that you are seating much harder than necessary possibly because the fit is so poor that you are having to fight to get it seated. I have never seen a .40 case with a crimped primer pocket. Federal primers have a very thin cup and are very soft. Some brands of cases work poorly with some brands of primers. Tolerances are all over the place - too loose or too tight. You should not have to use so much force to seat the primer that it crushes the primer. Winchester's quality control has been a joke for some years now. I have used Federal primers in Winchester brass for a very long time and never had the problem you are having, but I have not bought any new Winchester brass for 15 years or so. Try a different brand of primer or sell those cases to someone you don't like. If the primer will not seat fully without forcing it into the case, stop using them or be prepared to ream the pockets in those cases. IMO using small primers in something like a .45 ACP case was a really dumb idea.

Last edited:

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    This is the one I have. I bought it used so the third tool head might be an extra.

RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2

The one you have is probably the one I should have ordered, but I ordered the crimp remover that goes in the case prep machine. A friend from work gave me some CCI primers to try and they worked great in the Winchester cases so that eliminates that problem!

Top Bottom