• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    Thats a pretty good comparison. Lots of valid points. I have been looking to get into reloading. The lnl has been my top choice. This pretty much validates my research.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Thats a pretty good comparison. Lots of valid points. I have been looking to get into reloading. The lnl has been my top choice. This pretty much validates my research.

Don't say that!! Before long the dillon lovers will be in to tell you all about how your completely wrong. Not biased for me to say since i have a lee still.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Good read, I'm still very happy with my 550. Got spare powderbars (used and cheap) off of ebay so once adjusted for a caliber, they stay put.

I don't have a case feeder or bullet feeder or a roller handle on mine and it cranks out enough loads to make me happy

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Good read, I'm still very happy with my 550. Got spare powderbars (used and cheap) off of ebay so once adjusted for a caliber, they stay put.

I don't have a case feeder or bullet feeder or a roller handle on mine and it cranks out enough loads to make me happy

I used to be able to load enough in the winter to last me all summer, but since I started USPSA and working 2 jobs that is no longer the case. I hope a case feeder helps out.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm ok with this article but from someone who has also owned All three the big thing the article is missing is Time,

I had the lee for about 4 years, and the hornady for about 8 years and the Dillon's for close to 20 years,

The lee fell apart literately

The hornady had to be sent back to hornady for a complete refitt. And the primer feed and the Index are problematic when you get a hard jam, You can and will chip the teeth that drive the hornady then you get an uneven jumpy rotation

The dillon has a Huge cam that rotates and doesn't fail the same way the Hornady will.

So While for the first 10k round the Hornady and the Dillon may be equal its the next 60k round where the dillon pull ahead by a long shot.

But Many of the hard charging guys who buy a reloader only hit it for a year or two then move on to something else and no matter what the brand there are thousands of reloaders gather dust So maybe longevity is over rated

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I would love to give Dillon a try. I have 2 Hornady LNL's but am not die in the wool so to say. I bought it because of better pricing I have had my first LNL for about 8 years and am well past the 10k mark and all I have replaced is the brass retaining spring. Never had to send it back never had to readjust anything.
    other then doing the update when they changed the ejector system.
    I bought a second one as well and have had it 2 or 3 years and it has been trouble free too so I have nothing to complain about.

I would however still like to use a Dillon sometime just to see what all the fuss is about.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I printed out and read this same article some 3-4 years ago and was THE deciding factor in my buying a Hornady LnL over a Dillon. I had done a mind numbing amount or research on LnL's VS Dillion progressive presses and the above report was the final piece of unbiased information that confirmed what my research was telling me that the Hornady LnL was the better over all progressive press. Also IIRC, the Hornady is over all a cheaper press in terms of component cost.

Unfortunately I have been blessed/lucky enough to have been working 1200-1300 hours of OT every year since prior to my purchase that my LnL is still in it's factory case. I simply haven't been able to get to it, all my spare time I get i spend with my boys.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'm approaching 100,00 rounds on my Dillon 550B since 2008. Couldn't be happier with it. I'm going to send it in this summer for their 68.00 refurb job just to make it look new again. I have never broken even a plastic part.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    I must be an oddball, I'm still using my Rockchucker press I bought in 1973 and never felt the need for a progressive press. Making quality ammo has always been my goal and speed and quality do not always go hand and hand.

Top Bottom