• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guman1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2015
    Lebanon
    I'm new here , but been reloading for years. I love the satisfaction of loading & shooting what you loaded.
    What I was looking for is anyone that has worked up any good loads for my new purchased Ruger hunter in 44 Mag With a 7.5" barrel
    Thanks for any info Mark

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Congratulations on your new pistol. The loads that have worked well in other firearms chambered for 44 magnum may or may not work well in yours. The only way for you to know what will meet your specific recoil and accuracy goals is for you to put together some test loads and see what obtains. If you're looking for full-throttle stuff, H110/W296 and 2400 are great powders to try.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Super Blackhawks are very solid handguns, once you've gotten the hang of reloading look at bullet casting. Most straight wall cartridges were made for it and it will save a lot of money on those big bullets.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If this is your first time reloading a magnum, may I suggest 2400?

That way you don't have to stock magnum primers or worry about the idiosyncrasies of H110/W296.

Once you have some experience, and you find that you need "more", then 110/296 is the way to go.

guman1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2015
    Lebanon
    I've been reloading for 20 yrs . I have no problem with full throttle loads . I've have a Uberti cattleman 44 mag 7.5" barrel . It likes little lighter then max loads of h110 . I think the twist rate is slower in uberti then the ruger , what I heard , the ruger likes hotter loads . I'll be deer hunting with it . Probably Hornadys XTP'S or FTP'S. Plinking I'll load lead 200 or 240 RNFP with 231 or unique. Mainly was needing information on hotter jacketed loads for Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter 44 Mag. I've heard they can handle hotter loads ok

guman1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2015
    Lebanon
    As far as what I have on my reloading shelf is 200 gr XTP & 225 FTX's. Powder wise is H110 BL-C (2), & IMR 4227. I'll get something else if anyone has any suggestions for the Ruger

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Of those three H110, then IMR 4227, especially with bullets that light. BL-C(2) is a no.

Follow the load book with H110 and do not reduce the max load more than 3% if a start load is not given. There is probably only a grain of difference between min and max loads.

If you step up to a 300gr XTP, the 4227 will do better than with the light bullets, that load would be a thumper... would make a good rifle load. (ETA... with the right twist rate... many .44 Mag rifles have a hard time stabilizing heavy bullets.)

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Oh, one more thing to be on the lookout for...

FTX loads are sometimes given with brass trimmed to a shorter length, so make sure of that tidbit before you start. For example the Hornaday data will probably be using trimmed brass with the FTX.

Make sure to keep any brass trimmed for FTX use separate from standard length brass, especially when using H110. Using a standard load in short brass will raise the pressure. Using FTX/H110/short brass data in standard length brass may not allow H100 to work properly.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    My hunter loves full throttle loads pushing 300gr cast slugs. Its thrown multiple 100 yard groups under 4" with the occasional 3"-er. H110 and gas checks are a solid start to your recipe.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My friend has a Ruger Redhawk 44mag with a 7.5inch barrel. We love shooting 200gr Flat Point bullets with 27.5gr of H110. Make a earth shattering noise and travels at 1700+ FPS. Gets every ones attention at the range.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Watch the FTX's, they sometimes require weird trim lengths (which you have to follow*). Start with starting loads and work up. Don't load anything heavier than halfway between start and max for your first outing.

Light bullets will get you a lot of flash and noise. Sometimes they'll provide other things, like accuracy. This caliber really works with 240's and can do awesome things with 300gr cast gas checked bullets.

*Overall length is the important thing. You could deep seat them, but they wont crimp very well. If you're set up to trim brass, go for it, but then the brass won't work well for any other bullet.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    This is a old post but I find it helpful. I just picked up a Ruger Super RedHawk 44 mag 7.5". I am newer to reloading and this will be my first time reloading magnum rounds. What I think I have learned:

- Looks like H110 and 4227 are 2 of the better powders.
    - XTP are very popular hunting rounds.
    - My understanding is that the Ruger likes heavier projectiles 240-300.

I am looking for advise and information on what worked on your Ruger 44. I will take any other suggestions. I wish reloading equipment wasn't so hard to find right now.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Welcome to the ADDICTION....Of Handloading...

Congrats on your SRH purchase..I at one time had this in a 9 1/2" version==What a handful...

Another GREAT, and much used Magnum powder is Alliant 2400.
    2400 powder is very versatile for loads that are from Mild to Wild...
    2400 also fills the case enough that you will not have a problem with overcharging a case. If you overcharge, it will run out of the top of the case..HA.HA..

I do not (at this time..HA.HA..) have a firearm in .44Spl./Mag. but I do have some "left over" tools and components.

Please PM me with a cell # that I can send you some pictures of some items and we may?? be able to deal??...Bill

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    On your questions, yes those two powders will work just fine at magnum velocities. Also, 240gr XTPs have harvested many deer in my household.

I’ll shoot a few cylinders of magnums now and again, but I find WW231 and a lead bullet at about 1/2 magnum velocity much more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom