• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, getting deeper and deeper into reloading, now reloading multiple calibers.:D

However, my question is how everyone is drying their brass. I am tumbling, then washing, straining and then setting out on old towels to dry in the sun. Cannot help think there is a better way.

1. I have read about INGOers using their ovens to dry. Are you not concerned about contamination?

2. I have read about food dehydrators being used. What is needed to know about this method?

3. I saw a video where Jerry Miculek poured his just washed brass into a large wire bed built chest high with a wooden frame. I assumed he aired dried these cases.

What does INGO use to dry cases?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Dryer on the little rack thing it came with for drying shoes and whatnot. Leave brass in sorter tray with holes on bottom for more airflow, run on medium for 40 minutes or so.

ETA: I'm usually doing 1000-1200 pieces at a time, so most dehydrators just won't hold enough, and the oven method discolored the brass.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I set them out on cookie sheets with paper towels. I tried putting them in the oven on the lowest "warm" setting for a couple of hours, but that seems to darken the brass a couple of shades, which seems counterproductive after taking the time to tumble. So, I've just learned to be patient.

Here's a tip that works well. Pick up the wet cases one at a time, blow them out with an air compressor air gun attachment, put the wet cartridges in a reloading tray with the primer pocket facing up. Set a fan to blow on them. Faster than the oven method and doesn't darken the brass.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    I made a bag out of a old towel and put the brass in a mesh delicates bag inside the towel bag. Then throw them in the dryer with a load of clothes. I don't do more than a hundred at a time though.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I made a bag out of a old towel and put the brass in a mesh delicates bag inside the towel bag. Then throw them in the dryer with a load of clothes. I don't do more than a hundred at a time though.

I'm not a fan of mixing anything to do with reloading with my families stuff. They might be clean enough to do it but not clean enough for me to trust it.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I confiscated an older hair dryer from the wife. Put the wet brass out on paper towels and dun the hair dryer on high heat, low airflow. Roll the brass around a bit and reheat. When mostly dry hit the brass with a bit of One Shot to keep them from tarnishing.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    I'm not a fan of mixing anything to do with reloading with my families stuff. They might be clean enough to do it but not clean enough for me to trust it.

I inspect carefully after and the bag keeps all the crud out of the dryer. To each their own. I don't think my wife would like the oven method very much.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I dry each case individually with the wife's hair dryer, then hang 'em up on a spider-silk thin clothesline with teeny little clothespins.

:laugh:

Actually, I don't reload.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I paid $10 for a toaster oven off craig's list. it does nothing but drying brass.

200pcs of 223/556 in a wire mesh tray, 10 minutes at 130*F, then air dry overnight. I'm happy.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I just stick it in the oven. I figured if lead soldering and arsenic treated plywood hasn't got me by now, I'm probably in the clear. Stick them in for 15 minutes or so in a junk cookie sheet then take them out and put a towel over the top of them to keep the heat in in case there's any little water droplets let in there.

Like mentioned before, Frankfurt Arsenal is making a brass dryer now that looks like a giant dehydrator. I just hopes it drys brass quicker than it takes to make jerky

Used toaster oven isn't a bad idea either, I have a couple friends that got used ones dirt cheap for kydex sheaths

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Don't get 'em wet in the first place.

That's the easyist way... As easy as it is to dry tumble and sift and reload I just don't get going through this labor intensive process to polish brass. In the time spent wet tumbling and then the drying process you could dry tumble and have your ammo reloaded in less time.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'm with broom. I don't get my brass wet.

But when i do, I dry 'em in the sun. (Like when I anneal my case necks for wildcat brass or whatever)

Gotta be careful using heat. Annealing can occur as low as 480 degrees. And the oven sensor only takes the temperature in one location so if you use an oven, use the lowest setting, like 150.

A hair dryer is pretty safe.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm with broom. I don't get my brass wet.

But when i do, I dry 'em in the sun. (Like when I anneal my case necks for wildcat brass or whatever)

Gotta be careful using heat. Annealing can occur as low as 480 degrees. And the oven sensor only takes the temperature in one location so if you use an oven, use the lowest setting, like 150.

A hair dryer is pretty safe.

Why do you get your brass wet after annealing ?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I just lay mine on a bath towel. Give the exteriors a quick drying with the towel and let them lay. No spots.

Top Bottom